KLH Model Fives Crossover Removal and Rebuild

TENER

Well my capacitors should be here by Wednesday so I thought I would remove the crossovers to get ready to work on them. I have looked at a lot of posts that show people prying the plate off the inside back of the speaker. I was wondering why do this? I removed the speaker wire binding posts, took off the POT knobs, soaped up the seals around the pots and pushed them through without prying off the name plate from the inside. It worked just fine and no damage to the particleboard at all. Now I just need my caps to get here.

Attachments

• CIMG3967.JPG
    CIMG3967.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 262
  • CIMG3968.JPG
    CIMG3968.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 249
  • CIMG3969.JPG
    CIMG3969.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 232
  • CIMG3970.JPG
    CIMG3970.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 238
  • CIMG3977.JPG
    CIMG3977.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 267
  • CIMG3964.JPG
    CIMG3964.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 230
  • CIMG3966.JPG
    CIMG3966.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 228
  • CIMG3974.JPG
    CIMG3974.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 225
You did it the right way. Not sure why one would pry the back plate from cabinet. Removing it from the Model Six can be tricky. I recapped two sets of Fives, one with your XO with the aluminum plate and the newer PCB XO. Great speaker!

I recently picked up a pair of KLH model 5 speakers, listening to them now. I plan to recap, but I have not thought through the details. I see that the mounting board, of aluminium, might not be that friendly to typical non-polar film caps (with their long un-insulated leads). What type of caps did you purchase?

I recently picked up a pair of KLH model 5 speakers, listening to them now. I plan to recap, but I have not thought through the details. I see that the mounting board, of aluminium, might not be that friendly to typical non-polar film caps (with their long un-insulated leads). What type of caps did you purchase?

I got my caps from Parts Express. Here is what I bought. I used 1 12uf and a 4uf to make the 16uf needed. Total cost was $51.25

2) Dayton DMPC-25 25uF 250V Polypropylene Capacitor

2) Dayton DMPC-12 12uF 250V Polypropylene Capacitor

8) Dayton DMPC-4.0 4.0uF 250V Polypropylene Capacitor

2) Dayton DMPC-3.0 3.0uF 250V Polypropylene Capacitor

Here's what my Model Five crossover project looks like after I recapped them a few years ago when I bought the speakers. I am not a wildly fanatical as some people here regarding parts. I used a Nichicon non-polarized crossover capacitor for the 50 uf part and polyester film caps for the others. There was nothing terribly bad sounding before and it's impossible to A-B the same speakers separated by a weeks time. They sound very nice to me now. I had to replace both tweeters and the woofers. Sometime before I got them they were subjected to a really large power spike. The aluminum bobbins on both woofers were crushed at the bottom and hit the inside of the pole piece on very large outward movement. You could not feel the problem pushing down. You had to get under the cone and stretch it upward to feel the stop, Don't forget to DeOxit the two rotary switches.

CrossoversModel5.jpg

Last edited:
Just an update. After all the work repairing the crossovers and re-doping the surrounds I can say that these are quite possibly the best sounding speaker I have ever had. The base is AWESOME! the mid's and high's are just great as well. I have a total of about $82.00 in these and must say they are worth 10 times that to me. The woofer sealant from Vintage AR was great and really made the final difference. Now I just need to work on the looks.

Congrats on the 5's!

I have my 5's in a larger size living room and my 6's in a smaller room set up for near field listening. I did refinish the 5's and replace the grill cloth. Wasn't too daunting. I am having to re-veneer the 6's and already have a roll of walnut veneer ready to go. Now all that's needed is to get the wife to pull back on her to do list for a little while.

Without AK there's no way I would have been able to recap and re-dope my sets. AK has got to be one of the most enjoyable and helpful forums out there!

Congrats on the 5's!

I have my 5's in a larger size living room and my 6's in a smaller room set up for near field listening. I did refinish the 5's and replace the grill cloth. Wasn't too daunting. I am having to re-veneer the 6's and already have a roll of walnut veneer ready to go. Now all that's needed is to get the wife to pull back on her to do list for a little while.

Without AK there's no way I would have been able to recap and re-dope my sets. AK has got to be one of the most enjoyable and helpful forums out there!
Pics, please.. If there's a weak spot in the Model Five it's the delicate grill cloth. Im trying to find inspiration for mine..

Out of curiosity how did you secure the large caps to the board? I just finished the same project and used putty (Blue Tack) but I am thinking of going back in to secure them with something more permanent.

Out of curiosity how did you secure the large caps to the board? I just finished the same project and used putty (Blue Tack) but I am thinking of going back in to secure them with something more permanent.
I recall using zipties, per the original.

I recall using zipties, per the original.

For contrast I dug up some pictures of mine, which were the PCB types. All caps are secured with leads except the big guy which I tied in with wire.

Attachments

• Klh recap 1.jpg
    Klh recap 1.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 124
  • Klh recap 2.jpg
    Klh recap 2.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 112
Pics, please.. If there's a weak spot in the Model Five it's the delicate grill cloth. Im trying to find inspiration for mine..
The material I bought came from a local Hobby Lobby store. A yard was plenty for both speakers. My wife helped me with the aleens tacky glue and to help me keep it stretched while glueing it. It's been regrilled for about 2 years now and I'm seeing a ripple or two in the material but I'm sure I'm the only one who notices. Certainly not an exact match to the original but still period correct. Cost all of 7.00. IMG_0488.JPG

Remember what the material was called? It's a little hard to see it in the photo, but it looks nice.
Actually it's a little lighter color, more of an off white. Same type of weave as the original, just a little tighter. I couldn't tell you what the material was, sorry. :)

Remember what the material was called? It's a little hard to see it in the photo, but it looks nice.

I think it's Irish Linen.

KLH Model 5 are great speakers. Near TOTL for KLH. Made to compete with the AR3a

My "Fives" are set up in the den/office with a Pioneer SX-626. Nice match up.

Back
Top Bottom