KLH model six rule!

DjLebaron

I got a pair of KLH model six a couple of weeks ago. I bought them because I saw them listed on CL locally and they were dirt cheap. I had a bunch of equipment and they were the missing link to a seconds system with a Scott 299. They sounded really great but the tweeter started to distort in one of the speakers. I just rebuilt the networks with Sonicaps and added some new binding posts. These speakers are wonderful. People need to snatch them while the are still cheap. The only issue with them is that they are very thirsty for power, but anything is next to my LaScalas.
P1070075.jpg

P1070077.jpg

P1070079.jpg

I love my KLH 6's. Big sweet midrange and great soundstaging. Aver sweet sounding speaker. I have sonicaps on my KLH 17. I think Sonicaps are a great value. Veery good cap for the money.

YES they are some pretty sweet ass sounding speaker ...i would have to agree! another one of my favrot speaker .

your sir speak the truth :yes:

I have yet to recap mine, but they still sound wonderful - especially with tubes :music:

If you like the Six, check out the model Twenty Three - KLH's best two-way loudspeaker produced from 1968-72. It has all the qualities of the Six with deeper bass thanks to a very robust woofer (same as the model Five's woofer).

I own one of the very first model Six's produced, serial no. 000684 & 000711 from early 1958, fantastic 12-ply plywood cabinets, military oil filled caps. I like their sound more then the 1960's versions.

The Six stayed in production longer then any other speaker I can think of for good reason.....1958 through 1972, it was an amazing loudspeaker that was only about $250 a pair !!

I used to have a have a pair of Model 17s several years ago and I don't remember them sounding as good as these. I will look for some 23s. I also got a pair of AR 2AX recently. They need a lot of work before I can make a comparison.

If you like the Six, check out the model Twenty Three - KLH's best two-way loudspeaker produced from 1968-72.

I love my 23's, take GWs advice and replace the tweeter with an EPI, and it sounds even better.

Sounds interesting. I just did some reading on the conversion. I really like how these speakers sound just the way they are and they don't seem to be lacking in the highs. I am not a total purest though, as I put Crites tweeters in my LaScalas to get extended response.

I have 3 pairs of 6's, they are the best value out there. The most I paid for a pair was $30.00! One pair had blown tweeters, I found an original pair and recapped them with Dayton caps from Parts Express.

Sal

hi everyone The KLH model 6 with the EPI tweeter is the way to go. The early EPI 100 tweeter is about the best the later aren't as crisp in the midrange but all in all it is a upgrade.

If you like the Six, check out the model Twenty Three - KLH's best two-way loudspeaker produced from 1968-72. It has all the qualities of the Six with deeper bass thanks to a very robust woofer (same as the model Five's woofer).

I own one of the very first model Six's produced, serial no. 000684 & 000711 from early 1958, fantastic 12-ply plywood cabinets, military oil filled caps. I like their sound more then the 1960's versions.

The Six stayed in production longer then any other speaker I can think of for good reason.....1958 through 1972, it was an amazing loudspeaker that was only about $250 a pair !!

Being the Dr. Frankenstein type, I've converted one pair of my 6's into a pseudo - 23 by transplanting some model 5 woofers into the 6 cabinets. they sound very nice indeed :music:

I agree with you on the 1st generation 6's . . .must be the crossover caps :yes: I've used similar (vintage oil) caps to recap a pair of Large Advents, and I also use them for tweeter high pass crossovers for my DIY projects.

Henry Kloss sure knew what he was doing !

here's a close up of the joinery on my early 6 - ser # 00066:

attachment.php

'58 through '72? Jeez, wonder how many are still out there!! Having very little experience with KLH, I can tell these sound excellent by the pics you guys have shared. I have some lower end model 26s which sound great after a crossover refresh. $2/each I couldn't complain! :music:

I recapped mine with Solens. Updated the drab brown grill cloth. Running them with Fisher Tube Amp and they are sounding sooo sweet :music:

IMG_0677.jpg

Another fan here too. Mine are the original epoxied 6's. Wasn't easy, but new caps are in place along with new grilles. They sound great.

IMG_0756.jpg

:music:

KLH Model 23 specs?

I looked at classicspeakerpages,nice pics but no specs listed.So,what's the power handling,dimensions and weight?

thanks,
Bob

I recapped mine with Solens. Updated the drab brown grill cloth. Running them with Fisher Tube Amp and they are sounding sooo sweet :music:

IMG_0677.jpg

Is that little receiver below the Mac a Fisher 160t? Just curious, I have one of those little things and love it, especially the 'programmable' tuner. Thinking of bringing it to my office.

KLH Sixes are among my keepers. I'm down to less than ten pair now, and these aren't going anywhere. I think they're among the more balanced sounding of the vintage speakers, and I much preferred mine to the Advents that I had. I just liked the midrange much better. The crossover point seemed to be smoother or something. They just sound so real. This is the only picture I have with them in it:

tallfisher.jpg

Back
Top Bottom