KLH Model Sixes are Shot - What now?!

Mike Chini

So my beloved KLH Model Sixes are finished (at least one of them is). I'd really love to buy a new pair of speakers but feel that what's out there might disappoint me. I've looked at the CambridgeWorks Model Sixes and M80's but they have no more than 8" woofers. The M80's look nice but from what I've read are a bit lacking in bass and I don't know if they have any damping either. If anyone knows of a reasonably priced pair of kick-ass bookshelf or floor standing speakers, I'd ***really*** appreciate it.

you might consider a large pair of advents. They are everywhere, and are fairly priced. They were designed by henry kloss just like your sixes were, and you will not be disappointed with the sound. They have that nice low, but tight bass that your model sixes had.

If you have more money, try a pair of AR-3s or better yet AR-3as Those are a superb sounding speaker for the size, and they are a little more accurate than the klh sixes or the advents.

Just my two cents
Jordan

What's wrong with the Sixes? There's several people on this board, that might be interested in either the whole speakers, or any parts that are still working... that might be a way to "increase the pot" of funds available for new speakers...

Also, in addition to the above, don't overlook Boston Acoustics A100s or A150s. Boston Acoustics was founded by a bunch of ex- AR and ex- KLH employees... there's definitely a "family resemblance" there... only with the benefit of a decade or so of further development...

Regards,
Gordon.

GordonW said:
What's wrong with the Sixes? There's several people on this board, that might be interested in either the whole speakers, or any parts that are still working... that might be a way to "increase the pot" of funds available for new speakers...

Yes, this is very correct, if you know what I mean :naughty: . I have a pair I'd like to get going again. That said, were I you, I'd be looking into repairing those gems. Parts can be had on eBay from time to time. - Mark

It's hard to imagine what could be wrong with your speaker that's beyond repair. Unless you have an early one with a bad epoxied woofer, everything else should be fixable. KLH drivers show up on ebay all the time and rarely go for much. There's nothing in the crossover that can't be fixed, even on an epoxied woofer model.

KLH 6 Despair

The KLH 6 is a pretty simple speaker and easily fixed UNLESS you have a very early production version from the late 50's. If your front grill frames are held in place with 6 Velcro tabs you should definately attempt a fix !

Both woofers and tweeters for the 6 are seen on Ebay. The woofer seldom goes bad and the tweeter more likely so. If the tweeter is the problem you can use one from models 5, 6, 17, 23 or 33---They share the same tweeter.

You may have bad caps in the crossover. There are 2 -2mfd and 1-8mfd. accessable by removing the woofer and it's foam gasket and lots of itchy fiberglass---wear gloves!

Confirm the woofer & tweeter are functional with a 1.5 v battery applied to wires going to each. Don't use a 9v battery on the tweeter! You will find twist locks on the wiring which you can easily undo for testing of woofer & tweeter.

Good Luck, Dave

KLH 6's

Thanks to everyone for their help. They are later versions of the Six and both the woofer and tweeter are done for (in one speaker - the other is working perfectly). I've been in touch with Madisound regarding replacement speakers which will of course necessitate doing both speakers (at about $200 for both speakers). I'd love to upgrade to something new but I really don't have $1,500+ to spend right now. Also most of the newer, more affordable speakers made today come with smaller, plastic woofers, no damping and crappy casings. I'm also a little wary about replacing the speakers with other originals due to the age of everything.

Am I wrong in my thinking? Should I just drop $1,000 on something new? Is there another place on the east coast I should be dealing with?

THANKS again for all of the help so far. I've been using these speakers daily for almost 15 years without fail and without them, I feel LOST!!!!!

MC

One Bad 6

Mike, when you say one 6 is "done" can you be more specific. It sounds like something went wrong in the amplification chain for the whole speaker to be just "done"

You will go a long way to fing anything that is as balanced and musical sounding as a KLH 6---IMHO ! The 6 is still one of my all time favorites and I bought my 1st one new in 1960 for $134 on the time payment plan. Believe me, it will not cost a fortune to replace the crossover caps, tweeter & woofer if need be.

What have you been driving the 6's with and what kind of music? Dave

Dave-

Thanks for the response!

My set-up is sparse. I have a mid 80's JVC RX-503 which has built-in 7-band eq. I have a good Phillips cd player and Denon turntable. All are simple but good-sounding pieces. I'm certainly no audiophile but only because my funds are tied up in other pursuits. Given the time and money, I sure as hell would be!

It's not a total disaster: the connections to the actual woofer cone have fallen off (the cone is getting brittle but still has some flexibility) and the original tweeter has been gone for some time now (blew years ago when I was still in college and I threw it out and spliced in a cheap tweeter from a box radio not knowing any better). The original electronics seem to be fine however and aside from cosmetic damage, everything seems fine. So I suppose I need a replacement tweeter and 3 reconing jobs at the very least.

I'm a huge music fan. I listen to everything (honestly). Ben Webster one minute, Black Sabbath or Hank Williams the next. And lots of classical too. I collect some vinyl and have a decent collection of cd's as well. I'm a trained musician which helps me appreciate all types of music.

As for the speakers, about 10 years ago, I tried out a bunch of different 'consumer'-brand speakers and they were nowhere NEAR as good as these KLH's. With vinyl, they have tons of warmth, plenty of clear, punchy, deep bass and really clear highs (no breakups or distortion anywhere as far as I can tell) and I LOVE them! I just figured there might be SOMETHING out there that has been developed in the past 35 years that could be purchased for under $1,000 to compete with them but if not, I'm perfectly happy keeping these going. I have contacted someone in New Jersey about fixing these up. Should I get new drivers and go for BETTER sound or just try and find replacement drivers and preserve the original sound of these speakers that I've grown so fond of? I just figure that there will only be so many years left in 35 year old drivers.

...and how can I have this all finished 5 min ago?!!!!!!!!!

Hi Mike,

The sixes are fantastic speakers. I can't agree strongly enough with the suggestions made here. I wouldn't even consider buying something new, especially if you liked the way the sixes sounded. I had some for a while and they are fantastic. I do like the Advent more though. I've never heard the AR, but am always on the look out!

I feel compelled to make my normal suggestion of the Dynaco A25. They can be had in nice condition for around $100. I just think they're a wonderful speaker. They don't have that Kloss bass though.

Ed

outlawmws said:
Mike, You have a PM

Hmmm... I get a sense that the cavalry is coming to save the day. At least in the woofer department, maybe... :thmbsp:

Regards,
Gordon.

Last edited:
Calvary or Cavalry ? & KLH 6's

Gordon--- Just checking to confirm which is going to save the day!

Mike---- -Right now there is a pair of 6's on Ebay. ( Ends tomorrow) The're out in the state of Washington but the seller is willing to ship just the components which would save significantly on shipping costs. I'm not a prophet but you could probably get everything you need and have spare parts to boot for less than $100

Don't even consider cone replacement on KLH drivers. You will no longer have a KLH; the formulation & mfg. process were unique and very much account for why they sound so great. Dave

Tafsound said:
Mike---- -Right now there is a pair of 6's on Ebay. ( Ends tomorrow) The're out in the state of Washington but the seller is willing to ship just the components which would save significantly on shipping costs. I'm not a prophet but you could probably get everything you need and have spare parts to boot for less than $100

DAMMIT, Tafsound. I've been watching those. Hey Mike maybe we could work out a deal - all I need is one tweeter. BTW, the same guy has a pair of Model 17's. - Mark

Appease Mark

Hey Mark,

I have a tweeter I can spare if nothing works out---Don't want you to get your undies in a bundle. And it's a perfectly fine specimen too. Let me know if you will need it and I'll sell it for a reasonable price. I thought your problems were crossover related only----sorry ! :sigh: Dave

Tafsound said:
Hey Mark,

I have a tweeter I can spare if nothing works out---Don't want you to get your undies in a bundle. And it's a perfectly fine specimen too. Let me know if you will need it and I'll sell it for a reasonable price. I thought your problems were crossover related only----sorry ! :sigh: Dave

Don't sweat it, I was just pokin' fun. Yeah, I bought my 6's with tweeter transplants and have procured one original, thus far (thanks again, Gordon). Actually the crossovers are fine AFAIK, I just thought I'd upgrade them whilst I had the drivers out. Sounds like there could be a second tweeter in my future. Look for a PM. - Mark

A competent speaker rebuilder should be able to fix the woofers to within the original specs. Be sure to have both woofers done so they are identical.

Just blew a woofer (KLH 6). I see there are 2 on eBay from KLH 17's. Anyone know if I can replace my 6's with the 17's ? I wrote the guy and he says he doesn't know for sure.
If the answer is yes (perfectly matched that is) maybe I'll bid on them and sell one to someone here that needs one (half the cost). If not, anyone here have a spare they could part with for a reasonable price ?

Also, any one ever hear of an AR2ax fixing itself ?? Plugged my cheapo (OEM) soundcard into stereo and was pumping pretty good when I noticed no sound from my right channel AR. Shut everything down, re started with FM and nothing from the AR.
Was bummed for a few weeks, decided to take it appart and test all the speakers.
Did them one by one and all worked ! Screwed the woofer back in, closed it up, turned the FM back on and...holy s**t, the damn thing works great !!! ???????????
I do the AR's as my A and KLH 6 as B (four corners of the room) and they compliment each other so well ! I know, "sound stage", "imaging", speaker placement etc. I only do this when I want to play rock loud. I sit between the KLH 6's on a love seat facing the stereo and AR's. It's like having the band in the room ! Bass player is always next to me. The only time is screws up is when an errant cymbal crash comes clear across the room from the AR's (normally the KLH's handle the cymbals - and louder). I just bought a Sansui 8080 and have been having a ball revisiting all my favorite jams from the 60's as I never heard them before ! Grew up with a 10 watt Webcor. The only way I heard them at a decent level was through my stock Ford speakers and a Pioneer
Super Tuner or 8 track !!! Everything (on CD) from Sly to Canned Heat, Airplane, The Who (Whos Next !!) to Sabbath or Creedence - like hearing them for the first time !
For classical, I do either A or B alone. Fun listening for the differences between the two. Always thought the AR's handled the bass better and the KLH the highs. However, on the 1812 Overture (Overture 1812), the triangle is better revealed then on the KLH's ! On fur Elise I can hear the piano pads strike. Great combo though.

Back
Top Bottom