KLH Model Sixes are Shot - What now?!

I own both the 6's and the 17's, but, alas, I can't help you. My 17's are still in NJ, patiently waiting for me to pick them up. I know both speakers use the same tweeter, but I dunno about the woofer. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to waste your time :D . - Mark

BTW, the 6's on eBay that were mentioned earlier in this thread, went for around $20 or so. Same for the 17's the same seller was auctioning at the same time. Don'tcha just love to get this kinda info after the fact?

Correction: the 6's sold for $29.88, the 17's sold for $20.50 - I paid more than that just for my pair of tweeters :cry: , but I'm statisfied, nonetheless.

Last edited:
If we are talking "10" inch woofers, be careful! KLH (in there infinite wisdom) made (at Least) 2 sizes. 10-1/8 and 10-3/4".

I just shipped a set of 6's, and like a dummy never measured...

You will also want to be sure to match impedances. I think the 6's were 4 Ohm.

I should dig up my notes and poll a couple of people and make a chart for what's what...

Hmm did some digging..

Old KLH post

So if we want the relevent data we want model, size, and Overall Impedance match for the speaker, since were unlikely to get anything put static resistance from the driver:

Model - Basket overall Dia - Ohm's impedance of speaker cab.

6's = 10-3/4 - 8 Ohms
17's = 10-1/8 - ? Ohms
20's = 10-1/8 - 4? Ohms
23's = 10-3/4 - 8 Ohms
32's = 8-1/4 - 8 Ohms

Any one got some data??

Last edited:
outlawmws, I'm pretty sure the KLH 6 is an 8 ohm speaker and the KLH 20 is a 4 ohm version of the 17. I'll go look at my 6's to see if the impedance is stated anywhere. - Mark

Edit: Yup. Just checked. The 6 is rated at 8 ohms.

Last edited:
MarkAnderson said:
outlawmws, I'm pretty sure the KLH 6 is an 8 ohm speaker and the KLH 20 is a 4 ohm verison of the 6. I'll go look at mine to see if the impedance is stated anywhere. - Mark

Edit: Yup. Just checked. The 6 is rated at 8 ohms.

Thanks! Ill update/edit the data.

8" woofer (actually 8-1/4 w/ a 5-1/2" cone) - I dunno about the tweeter - it's covered with fiberglass insulation and a steel mesh. There was a pair on eBay sporting a generic-looking cone tweet (no insulation). Original? I dunno. - Mark

Also, I should mention - my 6's have the recessed watchamacallit/thingies on the back. Not sure if that makes them the newer or older version. I was able to remove the woofer with no problem - the other version I guess is almost impossible (?).
Yes, I've seen many of the auctions. I resist them because the shipping cost is just such a waste ! I guess I could ask if they would remove the speakers and just send them ! The actual mounting plate (thingie - again) is 10 3/4". Foam edge to foam edge is 9 3/4". Thank you all for responding though !

Iron man,

If you look in Post #22, you will see the 6's and 23's should be using the same woofer. those are what you are going to be looking for.

BTW, when I was on my quet for drivers for my 23's, I discovered there were also several, (at least 3) styles of magnets...

Our resident Speaker guru (Gordon are you out there?) assured me that there is little to no difference sonicly.

Last edited:
outlawmws:
6's = 10-3/4 - 8 Ohms
17's = 10-1/8 - ? Ohms

Gottcha - that would make the 17's woofer wrong for my 6's. Thank you very much for your time !

Mike,

I have a pair of KLH model ten's, I believe it has the drivers you are looking for (8"-9") woof's, and I believe the same tweet's. They are sound, with the exception that they will need a a dust cap. I would be more than happy to send them to you, if you'll make a small donation to AK, and pay the shipping. Those cab's are built a brick shithouse. Mine are missing the x-overs, grilles, and I believe one of the tweets are shot, but you only need one, right?

Good luck,

Ron

KLH 6 Age

Early 6's have the terminal plate mounted flush. Sometime in the mid 60's they went to the recessed terminal plate.. There was a period of a few years when the grill cloth and speakers were removeable but the terminal plate was still a flush mount.

Klh 6, 23 & 5 have the same size cone & basket and are physically interchangeable...HOWEVER...cones are thicker & heavier for the 5 & 23. The magnet assembly weighs about 8 lbs on the 5 & 23 and about 5-1/2 lbs. on the
6. Models 5 & 23 have better low end extension because the cabinets are larger than the 6 and the heavier cones yield a lower system resonance; the heavier magnets are needed to maintain efficiency & transient response.

From 1958 till 1962 the front baffle board, woofer, tweeter, crossover & grill cloth were all epoxied together and then epoxied forever to the cabinet itself on the models 6 & 7.

Whassupwhidoze 6's ?? Y'all still Lik'um??

Hey, If I was his nephew maybe I'd be rich? Henry was one clever fox and I first had an appreciation for his genius when I heard the 6 in 1959 right after I got out of HS. Had to have 'em man ! and y'all wanna know sumthin' ? If I had to reduce down to one pair of speakers in my arsenal I really think it would still be the 6's.

What a pleasure it would have been to sit down and have a rap session with HK. There's two others I would love to have met, G.A. Briggs of Wharfedale and Rudy Bozak of you know who.

Hey, did you use solens in your 6's ? Would love to hear your before/ after comments, so forth & so on. Dave :thmbsp: :yes:

Hell yeah, I still like 'em. Was there ever any doubt? I did not use Solens, I used Dayton's. Most seem to agree that there is little, if any, sonic difference between them and the Daytons are a good bit cheaper. - Mark

6's

Glad yah lik'um...Yah had me a little anxious there...thought yah might swap even up for some D-9's Dave :sigh:

I've never heard D-9's, but I doubt I would call that a swap UP. I've never been overly impressed with the CV's I've heard. Maybe I just haven't heard the right ones. - Mark

I'm just pulling your chain. I've never heard D-9's either but I'm sure there in a different league. I'm just happy you like your 6's Dave :D

Back
Top Bottom