KLH speakers reference thread (original models/Henry Kloss era) 1957-1977

My Model 15 speakers had two of the midranges in series in a ported box. The drivers were 4 ohms each. I believe all the other midranges were 8 ohms (I could be wrong). One side note. I believe there were two versions; one with much better cabinet construction (Isaw pictures on ebay). Mine had absolutely terrible, cheap internal wood construction with the worst performance I have heard from a small system. I did only pay $5 for the pair.
I'm going to leave this here for the moment. This reference is still missing the sub-10" systems,
as well as all the other electronics.

These caps I removed from my KLH-5's are dated to early 1972
The 15th week of 1972, 7th week of 72 and 3rd week of 72.
So this verifies KLH-5 production in 1972. Not left over stock sales but actual manufacturing in 1972.
Jef

DSC01166.JPG

Excellent thread. Never seen it before.
Since I seem to one of the few fans of the Model 7 about, I'll mention that it appears to have been made beyond 1961.
There are examples about with epoxied woofers and screwed in tweeters....just like some of the Model 6's.
I currently own four [I hesitate to say two pairs]....the speaker with the highest serial number being the oddball tweeter-wise.

Excellent thread. Never seen it before.
Since I seem to one of the few fans of the Model 7 about, I'll mention that it appears to have been made beyond 1961.
There are examples about with epoxied woofers and screwed in tweeters....just like some of the Model 6's.
I currently own four [I hesitate to say two pairs]....the speaker with the highest serial number being the oddball tweeter-wise.

I've heard that the later Seven had the screw in tweeters on more than one occasion. Perhaps that model needs to be added to the list of speakers that are associated with the type 1 tweeter?

I think I'd be a fan of the Seven if I could locate any near me. Shipping would
be a lot.

Documentation is kinda difficult to pin down about KLH's offerings. Radio Shack
lists the Seven up to '61. What serial number has the screw-in tweeter?

Seven listing updated.

What serial number has the screw-in tweeter?

It's 4216. The speaker terminal plate is located higher up on the back of the box than on earlier versions.
The closest lower number I've got is 3088...it's got epoxied in tweeters.
The other two are 2931 and 2378, neither are early enough to have oil caps [if they ever did].

Obviously not a big seller compared with the Model 6.

Last edited:
Thank you. Are the terminal plates flush or recessed? Do any have
removable grills? I had assumed the Seven didn't make the transition.

Thank you. Are the terminal plates flush or recessed? Do any have
removable grills? I had assumed the Seven didn't make the transition.

The later model has flush-mounted plates backed with epoxy just like the earlier version.
Grills are not removable. Cloth is wrapped around the front baffle. Same cloth used on both.
Both versions look exactly the same on the surface, except that the terminal plate is shifted upwards on the later version.
Same wiring inside.

Sound almost exactly the same as well.
I doubt I could tell one or the other in a blind test.

I wonder if the Seven's came in multiple veneers like the Six did. Also I wonder if the later Sevens kept the plywood backs or switched to MDF (particle board) like the later Sixes.

Also, I don't see much reporting in KLH circles about which veneer each pair has - perhaps it is difficult to distinguish unless they are the raw birch which stands out. Actually, I haven't made that determination on my own Sixes. I will endeavor to do that.

RxDx,

Would it be helpful if I started a separate thread to ask for the details of KLH Sixes from AK owners? It would be like a running survey. That might help us to more closely nail down the dates/serial sequences that changes were made. You've got a wonderful start in your spreadsheet.

I wonder if the Seven's came in multiple veneers like the Six did. Also I wonder if the later Sevens kept the plywood backs or switched to MDF (particle board) like the later Sixes.

I've only seen the 7's in Walnut and what I think is Mahogany veneers.
Backs on my later models are plywood.

RxDx,

Would it be helpful if I started a separate thread to ask for the details of KLH Sixes from AK owners? It would be like a running survey. That might help us to more closely nail down the dates/serial sequences that changes were made. You've got a wonderful start in your spreadsheet.
Knockest thyself out :)

The later model has flush-mounted plates backed with epoxy just like the earlier version.
Grills are not removable. Cloth is wrapped around the front baffle. Same cloth used on both.
Both versions look exactly the same on the surface, except that the terminal plate is shifted upwards on the later version.
Same wiring inside.

Sound almost exactly the same as well.
I doubt I could tell one or the other in a blind test.
Strange! I've never heard of a removable tweeter in a box with a non-removable grill (cloth).

Check with Glenn. I believe one of his two 1963 Sixes had a removable tweeter without the removable grill. It is strange, but not without precedent.

Back
Top Bottom