Klipsch 5.5 Speaker Damage , I'm sick

zebra03

All Audio - NO BS
My wife listed a hide-a way couch / bed on our local version of Craigs List . A couple (who I know) came over to buy the couch .

As the guy was taking it apart , I turned my head for just a second . Then I heard the crash . He knocked over one Klipsch 5.5 and it toppled into another Klipsch 5.5 and it hit the paneling and an old but mint electric fireplace .

The speakers were mint but now have dents in the wood and scratches as well as the fire place is scratched too . The speakers still play fine but with me being quite anal about such things , will never be able to enjoy them again .

The Klipsch 5.5's are painted black and consecutive S/N . Are they vinyl or is their veneer underneath ? Will Klipsch repair them for me ?

The couple did offer to pay me $1000 for the damages . Is that enough ? The fire place is dented as well and I would like to have it repainted .

Like I said , I am sick .

why should they have to pay. accidents happen. will your homeowners insurance help you out ??

why should they. make a home owners insurance claim and have their rates go up

For $1k you could get some way better speakers than the KGs. I think that's pretty upstanding of them personally.

- Woody

As annoying as that is, I'm not sure I'd take any money for it... Accidents happen. I'm so anal I would have had those speakers so far away from the activity of moving the sofa, they couldn't have gotten hurt.....

If the speakers work fine, I think you should forget about it. Things happen. Consider this training to help you let go of inconsequential things.

Or, another way of looking at it is like the first dent or scratch in a new car: now you don't have to worry about when it will happen any more. ;)

My Klipsch's got their first scar from either my wife or son, neither of whom will admit to banging something against it. I was pretty mad about that for a week or so, then I let it go. They still sound wonderful.

If you take the money from them, it will probably cost you your friendship, not to mention karma.

Get new speakers. that fireplace will buff right out. your analness shouldn't be to much of an issue for the rest of society, but care should have been taken by all parties before this construction project started. The speakers should have been moved, which is on you and the disassembly of the couch should have been done more carefully which is on them or anyone assisting in the project.

Sorry all this happened but shithappens and if you have to move on, just do that.

No Klipsch will not fix them for you. Just putty them up and shoot em with a brand new coat of black paint.

I'm with the forgive and forget crowd.

Sure, I'm not in your shoes, but if I was, I'd really just let it slide. Laugh it off over a beer with them. Friendships are worth way more than even the finest speakers...

Sonus_Faber_Stradivari-399x325.jpg

Well, almost. ;)

Actually this accident is your fault. Being it's your house and you invited them in to move / disassemble the sofa it's your esponsibility to ensure the area is free of hazards. Unless he damaged it on purpose you can't fault the poor guy and take their money. I mean you can, but IMO it's just wrong. It hurts but it's just wood and metal.

KG5.5? You should have taken the money on the spot. They will go home, look on ebay and find out that replacements are a third of what they offered. Let them buy you another set and be done.

Thanks for all the responses . It wasn't just the speakers . The fireplace was one that my father had bought over 40 years ago and was mint . The current online price for it is closing in on $750 . The paneling is scratched as well . A mirror is broke. I worked too hard for those speakers regardless of what anyone thinks of them . It is my main system and is the one system where vintage will not do .

Last edited:
Oh man, what a terrible story. I don't think I could give you an answer of what you should do. I suggest you think intently about it, and find a solution or compromise that you can life with.

Being a simple pig I couldn't assign blame or responsibility in this unfortunate incident. And either way everyone loses in the end.

I hope you can find an equitable solution and that you can find a way to move on from a downer like this.

Fortunately no one was hurt, no irreplaceable family heirloom was destroyed, or a car backed into, or something hurtful and spiteful said to a close friend or co-worker. The important thing to remember is that a speaker can be replaced, and no pigs were hurt during this ordeal.......

Regards
Mister Pig

Quite frankly, I think it's rather crazy that you won't be able to "enjoy" your speakers any more just because the exterior finish is imperfect. From your description, it doesn't sound like there was any functional damage.

Quite frankly, I think it's rather crazy that you won't be able to "enjoy" your speakers any more just because the exterior finish is imperfect. From your description, it doesn't sound like there was any functional damage.
Right or wrong ,That's my private hell .

Oh man, what a terrible story. I don't think I could give you an answer of what you should do. I suggest you think intently about it, and find a solution or compromise that you can life with.

Being a simple pig I couldn't assign blame or responsibility in this unfortunate incident. And either way everyone loses in the end.

I hope you can find an equitable solution and that you can find a way to move on from a downer like this.

Fortunately no one was hurt, no irreplaceable family heirloom was destroyed, or a car backed into, or something hurtful and spiteful said to a close friend or co-worker. The important thing to remember is that a speaker can be replaced, and no pigs were hurt during this ordeal.......

Regards
Mister Pig

I wasn't exactly squealing with delight either .

Back
Top Bottom