Klipsch Chorus: Gutless?

Discussion in 'The Klipsch Korner' started by hellhound94, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Ross6860

Ross6860 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Kind of an appropriate thread resurrection...

I'm not very satisfied with my Chorus II. Crites diaphragms and crossover kit both installed.

I find them strident and fatiguing. Compared to what? KEF 104/2, Yamaha NS-690ii, and Infinity RS-II and RS-IIIa.

Maybe it's the room, or the placement, or who knows what. Plenty of power behind them, so that's not the issue. There out from the front wall about four feet, and two feet from the side walls.

I didn't really like them in my HT setup, either. Also tried a Jolida 302b tube amp.

I haven't completely given up on them. They have a great rep and I have a bit invested in these guys.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. eiraved

eiraved Plane Whisperer Subscriber

Well it was the original poster who resurrected it after all...

I would have attempted all the mods (Crites, tube, etc...) has I kept my Chorus I pair, I loved them that much. Unfortunately there was only room enough for one pair of huge speakers at my place, so I had to sell once I received an offer I couldn't refuse on a Cornwall III pair.

3. moray james

moray james Super Member

Yes at a guess your Chorus ll are too far away from wall or corner reinforcement. Move them back closer to the wall or to a corner and the balance will shift. The chorus was not designed to be placed four feet into the room.

RT Fan and darkblue94 like this.
  4. silversport

silversport Super Member

it's not the power...I know many here will say that they need power and they may become more lively with a lot of power but I used an EICO HF-81 (14wpc tube power) with mine and the Crites (BECtoo on this Forum) titanium tweeter mods as well as his freshened crossovers...they sounded tremendous...

Bill

darkblue94 likes this.
  5. Ross6860

Ross6860 AK Subscriber Subscriber

So you don't recommend any of the Cardas placement guides or "Golden Ratios" for speaker placement, at least not for these speakers?

I thought with the rear passive radiator they would want to "breath" a little and would need to be out away from the walls.

Want to venture a starting point? Placed literally in the corners and toed in like a true corner horn, or barely any toe in?

I know, just try moving them around a bit and see how they sound. I already have an investment in these guys I may as well try everything I can to make them work. I want to like them.

6. fredgarvin

fredgarvin AK Subscriber Subscriber

My Quartets have the rear passive as well, for them 16"-18" is about right. Any closer and the low end plumps up too much and you lose imaging. Much farther out and the bass declines. I toe them in a bit which makes for a better off angle soundstage.

silversport likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. moray james

moray james Super Member

Some speakers are designed to stand out forward from the front wall into the room but that is not how your Chorus were designed they are intended to have wall or corner reinforcement. I like to place my speakers using an equilateral triangle so how far back you sit from them sets the spacing. Equal distance centre to centre of each speaker and your head in the centre sweet spot. I fire the speaker directly at my head. This results in the smoothest response. Also with this amount of toe in you can have the inside back corner of your speaker right against the front wall and have no worry about negative impact with the rear mounted passive. It is only when the speaker is positioned co-planar (back side of the speaker parallel to the front wall) that reflections will cause problems for the passive or a reflex vent for that matter this has nothing to do with the passive or vent needing room to breath it is only about reflections and cancellations and with the speaker angled this much there is zero issue with close to wall placement, as I said this is what these speakers were designed for. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 11:46 PM
    darkblue94 likes this.
  8. Djcoolray

Djcoolray Addicted Member

It’s a match between the speakers and the amp, find yourself a crown amp and they will sound completely different !!!

9. KlipschFan61

KlipschFan61 Smooth Jazzer

I had a pair that seem to require a lot of good clean power to work properly. I believe the Chorus II was an improvement.