Klipsch Chorus II any Good ?

jgscott

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Klipsch Chorus II any Good ? They were KG4's NOW What ??

***********UPDATE BELOW***************

Ok thought I would come over here and ask you expert Klipsch guys about what you think about the how good the Klipsch Chorus II sound ?

I have a chance to get a fair condition pair. I did a little web research and and got a 50-50 good/not so good.

1.What did they retail $ for when new ?

2. How do they sound, & do they have the woofer in the back like the KG4's.

3. Are they very effecient for low wattage ? Any and all info would be great.

******** Editing this post so I don't have to make another ********

Ok so I talked to the guy's girlfriend, he was out of town and she's taking the calls about them. They made a mistake. Theyare not Chorus II's. They are KG4's. Want $200 for them.

I've considered the KG'4 before, so what do you guys think about the KG4's? They will be ran with a Harman Kardon PM660 amp. 85wpc.

BTW I'm not looking to change the caps, crossover and so on. want t o plug and play. Maybe later, but not now. Already have a few other speaker projects going on. Thank for all the different feedback. Let me know.

Last edited:
I am not sure what the 50% that did not like was thinking. IMHO I think they are the best bang for the buck that Klipsch sells.

1. Dont know what retail was but what is the asking price?
2. They sound increable! They have a 15" woofer in the front and a 15" passive in the rear.
3. They are very efficient, If I remerber correctly they are 101db @1watt/1meter.

YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED !

I am not sure what the 50% that did not like was thinking. IMHO I think they are the best bang for the buck that Klipsch sells.

1. Dont know what retail was but what is the asking price?
2. They sound increable! They have a 15" woofer in the front and a 15" passive in the rear.
3. They are very efficient, If I remerber correctly they are 101db @1watt/1meter.

YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED !

I agree.... email Bob Crites he has a web site as he and his brother sell Klipsch parts and they make Great cross over upgrades. The Chorus II are really close to my Cornwalls. Google them and go to the Klipsch web site and do a search there for discontinuted speakers. I think they were made from 1990 thru 1996 or so. My Brother had a pair that sounded better(bass) then my old Heresy II

IMO the Cornwall is not even in the same league as the Chorus II's and I've owned both. The Cornwall has a very annoying and schrill mid range.

Do yourself a favor and grab those Chorus II's if they are in nice condition and under $600. Get a sweet tube amp and sit back and enjoy. :music: :thmbsp:

Honestly the only other Klipsch speaker (save for a K-Horn) I'd suggest over the Chorus II would be a Forte. Smaller footprint and better bass extension.

After I got my Chorus II's my lust for Khorns GREATLY diminished. I will recommend that you recap them. That made a world of difference in mine.

Stupidly sensitive, and yes they have a 15" passive as well. Anything south of $600 is well worth it.

Another Chorus fan, here. I have a set of CI's and CII's and plan to keep them all for a long, looong time!

IMO the Cornwall is not even in the same league as the Chorus II's and I've owned both. The Cornwall has a very annoying and schrill mid range.

Do yourself a favor and grab those Chorus II's if they are in nice condition and under $600. Get a sweet tube amp and sit back and enjoy. :music: :thmbsp:

Honestly the only other Klipsch speaker (save for a K-Horn) I'd suggest over the Chorus II would be a Forte. Smaller footprint and better bass extension.

To each his own.:music: Everyone hears different and different rooms make them sound different.Not in the same league is a bit harsh:no: Pop had Khorns and DIY Cornscalas (I still have) Brother had Chorus II. I like the Corns better....I had to manual adjust my Eq to get them just right in new very small den. A good Yamaha AVR does not sound bad on Pure Direct Mode
if Bluray movies and music is what you like. I have Pop's old McIntosh seperates (fried from storm) not much difference from Yamaha amps. But that is just me playing the Corns for 30 years. I just now purchased new Bob crites Cross Overs and wow the Cornwalls are clear and clean and Very low volume again. If I had room the Khorns would be in here or Pop's Cornscalas with University Classic horns. Any of these Klipsch speakers have a Great sound. Enjoy.

1.What did they retail $ for when new ?
About $1800US

2. How do they sound, & do they have the woofer in the back like the KG4's.
They sound good with tubes or solid state, due to the age you will probably want to swap out capacitors and resistors, maybe upgrade the tweeter to a Crites Ti.

3. Are they very effecient for low wattage ? Any and all info would be great.
Yes, they will work well with low power tube equipment.

Chorus II

Well, here is a response you would not expect. I own a pair of Chorus II's with Crites x-overs and a pair of Heresy II's (original). I have played them both through a fully restored Marantz 2285. The Heresy's are in corners and the Chorus II's are about 12" off a long wall. I love both pairs but...

The Chorus II's outshine the Heresys in every way from low to mid volume. When I really crank it up however the Heresys just sound better and better. Lack of bass just does not seem to be a problem with these for me. On the other hand the Chorus II's just seem to sound to boomy to me at louder levels. I have tried to reposition them but just can't seem to tame the bass.

To each his own!

Well, here is a response you would not expect. I own a pair of Chorus II's with Crites x-overs and a pair of Heresy II's (original). I have played them both through a fully restored Marantz 2285. The Heresy's are in corners and the Chorus II's are about 12" off a long wall. I love both pairs but...

The Chorus II's outshine the Heresys in every way from low to mid volume. When I really crank it up however the Heresys just sound better and better. Lack of bass just does not seem to be a problem with these for me. On the other hand the Chorus II's just seem to sound to boomy to me at louder levels. I have tried to reposition them but just can't seem to tame the bass.

To each his own!

I understand I have my Heresy II on two Klipsch 12" subs in each corner of the bedroom :music: My Cornwalls have that "Woodie" or "Boxie" sounding bass at low to mid volume that the Hersey II have if you put some power(not as deep) on them (subs off).The Chorus II did NOT have this sounding bass..to me.:scratch2: That is a love/hate thing with different people. The ChorusII had a harder hitting bass then my Corns or Heresy II at mid to loud volume. More of a Rock and Roll bass feel on the Chorus II. This is hard to explain but I Like them ALL. 4 Chorus II in the corners of a 14X14 room would be Great.:yes:

I would also suggest the Crites X-overs and diaphrams (plan to order mine very soon)

I've found amplification makes a big deal to me on these. Most tube stuff sounds great but if you are gonna go the SS route then the amp will make a difference, again my opinion.

I found when paired with the right SS amp (in my case an Accuphase for now) everything came together. When turned up it was like being in the first several rows of a concert.

These Klipsch and my JBL's will be hanging around for a while for sure.

I agree with Davis, I have long felt Chorus II's were the best bang for the buck in the old Heritage Lineup. If they are in good condition,buy them & save up some money to get new crossovers & titanium diaphragms for the tweeters from Bob Crites. You will be glad you did.
I have owned mine since 1990 & prefer them to my Cornwall II's, Forte I's & Heresy II's. I will never sell them.

Please see update on my 1st post. They were not Chorus II as ad said.:no: They were KG4's.

Thoughts on KG4 with Harman Kardon PM660 amp. 85wpc

I missed that. Opps... wasted time. Do a search on them here. I bet just about every Klipsch speaker has been talked about here. If it sounds good:music: Buy it. Bottom line only you can tell if the sound is right for your ears.

Well KG4's are a whole different animal than Chorus II's. A lot of people like them but I haven't heard them myself. You won't have any trouble driving them with any HK PM amp from the PM635 up to the PM665. Those HK amps sound very good with Klipsch speakers.

I missed that. Opps... wasted time. Do a search on them here. I bet just about every Klipsch speaker has been talked about here. If it sounds good:music: Buy it. Bottom line only you can tell if the sound is right for your ears.

I'm not trying to come down on you but...... I always hate these kind of post. Resason why is because when some one ask for a opinion, that what they want. Your response is kinda like saying " whatever ". If I had I chance to hear them first then I would already know.

This kinda of post is NO Help at all. The other problem is when you say "do a search". Ok now someone does a search, and they want to know about the KG4. Heres what they come up with from your post ::thumbsdn:

Originally Posted by LAB3
"I missed that. Opps... wasted time. Do a search on them here. I bet just about every Klipsch speaker has been talked about here. If it sounds good:music: Buy it. Bottom line only you can tell if the sound is right for your ears":boring:

What kind of infomation about the KG4 does this give? Think about it ? Imagine if everyone posted like you about something. No one would ever get any info on anything at all. Somethimes I wonder if people do this is just for post count numbers. If you did not know anything about the KG4, you could have saved yourself some typing.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to come down on you but...... I always hate these kind of post. Resason why is because when some one ask for a opinion, that what they want. Your response is kinda like saying " whatever ". If I had I chance to hear them first then I would already know.

This kinda of post is NO Help at all. The other problem is when you say "do a search". Ok now someone does a search, and they want to know about the KG4. Heres what they come up with from your post ::thumbsdn:

"I missed that. Opps... wasted time. Do a search on them here. I bet just about every Klipsch speaker has been talked about here. If it sounds good:music: Buy it. Bottom line only you can tell if the sound is right for your ears":boring:

What kind of infomation about the KG4 does this give? Think about it ? Imagine if everyone posted like you about something. No one would ever get any info on anything at all. Somethimes I wonder if people do this is just for post count numbers. If you did not know anything about the KG4, you could have saved yourself some typing.

I have never owned KG so I advised try the search. How could I explain how a speaker sounds if I never owned them? Think about it. I spent time explaining about the Klipsch I have owned and now that I think about your remark. post count... was uncalled for. It gets old where people do not use the search that would have answered your question as you did not know a Chorus from a KG. Or you would have typed the correct speaker to start with. I am off this thread........ buy what ever someone tells you sounds good. Think about that lol

Last edited:
I have never owned KG so I advised try the search. How could I explain how a speaker sounds if I never owned them? Think about it. I spent time explaining about the Klipsch I have owned and now that I think about your remark. post count... was uncalled for. It gets old where people do not use the search that would have answered your question as you did not know a Chorus from a KG. Or you would have typed the correct speaker to start with. I am off this thread........ buy what ever someone tells you sounds good. Think about that lol

I want to keep this clean so that no one gets the wrong idea so.

1. You not being able to explain cuz you never heard is exactly my point about your posting what you posted.

2.My point now is when someone searches for KG4, intead of usefull info your post will be there of NO help with 0 info.

3. Again You Totally misunderstood about me knowing a Chorus from a KG4. This is what I saw. Maybe now you will understand. I did not put the wrong info. I called on this ad. ----> http://florencesc.craigslist.org/ele/2430898118.html

***BTW so you dont get confused again, its NOT my ad.*** I called about it to buy them.

My point was that if every thread that ask, can someone tell me anything about ABC equipment, everyone responed your response :
"I have never owned KG so I advised try the search. How could I explain how a speaker sounds if I never owned them?"

Never mind, I understand what your saying, but a don't think you do. When I read a post asking about something I never owned, never had experienced, have no info about, I don't post" I have never owned ______ so I advised try the search. How could I explain how _______ sounds if I never owned them. :scratch2:

Last edited:
I want to keep this clean so that no one gets the wrong idea so.

1. You not being able to explain cuz you never heard is exactly my point about your posting what you posted.

2.My point now is when someone searches for KG4, intead of usefull info your post will be there of NO help with 0 info.

3. Again You Totally misunderstood about me knowing a Chorus from a KG4. This is what I saw. Maybe now you will understand. I did not put the wrong info. I called on this ad. ----> http://florencesc.craigslist.org/ele/2430898118.html

***BTW so you dont get confused again, its NOT my ad.*** I called about it to buy them.

My point was that if every thread that ask, can someone tell me anything about ABC equipment, everyone responed your response :
"I have never owned KG so I advised try the search. How could I explain how a speaker sounds if I never owned them?"
Never mind, I understand what your saying, but a don't think you do. When I read a post asking about something I never owned, never had experienced, have no info about, I don't post" I have never owned ______ so I advised try the search. How could I explain how _______ sounds if I never owned them. :scratch2:

I will say that when I first read about the mix up in models I was put off buy it but after I read the ad that all changed. I own 3 pair of Chorus II,s and 1 pair of Chorus I,s. They are all fabulous but in my opinion you need to be a big bass fan because they do that very well. I have had KG4,s also and thought they were great for the money but they had thier limits.

KG4,s are only worth a couple hundred dollars !

:saywhat:
I will say that when I first read about the mix up in models I was put off buy it but after I read the ad that all changed. I own 3 pair of Chorus II,s and 1 pair of Chorus I,s. They are all fabulous but in my opinion you need to be a big bass fan because they do that very well. I have had KG4,s also and thought they were great for the money but they had thier limits.

KG4,s are only worth a couple hundred dollars !

Thanks sorry about the confusion but, I only called the ad, and they do look alike LOL ! I don't even really need them. Just saw them and got the bug. Got 3 pairs of speaker more than I need right now. Most likely would have got them anyway if I was not thinking about the Wife, ( More Speakers ! :no: ) factor LOL !

Reason why a was kinda still interested is cuz I heard the KG4 would play good a very low volume. But I will not be running with with Tubes, will be hooked to a Harmon Kardon PM660 SS amp. They do want $200, but I'm trying to see if they will come down a little. I'm not gonna do no changing out of parts tho. :no:

I saw a pair on ebay that did'nt sell for $99, althought the shipping was about $100 bucks. You know what KG4's sold for new ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom