Klipsch Forte and Chorus

^^^ I have a pair of 4 Ohm Forte 1's

Best-

Boozehound
they are still an 8 ohm speaker. (much closer to 8 than 4) Klipsch went through this with customers worried about amplifiers and 4 ohm loads so they eventually sold them all designated as 8 ohms so consider them 8. If folks have amps which will not run 4 ohms then they really do need to purchase a better built amp that can as it will sound much better. A good amp ought to be able to handle loads as low as 2-3 ohms without any problems of clipping or over heating and if it cannot it does not have a well designed power supply. Note that power supplies which can do this will cost more but you get exactly what yo pay for.

^^Interesting, I have not put my meter on them. Just stating what it says on the back of the factory labeling.
A run from 1985.

Edit -- It looks like the replacement woofers that Bob C. sells on the bay are listed as 4 Ohms.

Best-

Boozehound

Last edited:
i believe the original Fortes with the round terminal plate are labeled 4 ohm the later version with the square plates are labeled 8 ohm but as moray james says they are the same

Speakers impedance is not constant with frequency. By convention or what ever name you want to call it speakers impedance is normally chosen to be the low point of the impedance curve above a woofers resonant frequency. It can be a broad valley or a very -narrow dip. If narrow which is usually the case with a ported system, then I can see rating the over all average higher. Speakers mounted in sealed boxes whether large or small the valleys are much wider usually and there fore is a truer indication of the speakers impedance. Its all a matter of compromises. Plus there is the reactive component of the impedance that can require more current to drive the speaker properly. If thats the case, the healthier the power supply the better. Normally as Klipsch speakers are very efficient so a great 30 watt amp is all you need, but if you like to rattle walls and break glass an amp with 150 to 200 watt capability for instantaneous peaks should be considered. I spent count less hours with a pair of the last few Cornwall I's being powered by a MC2105, with 130 watt capability. A nd though the Meters are very good some times very short peaks could sneak buy. So with music I recorded live I never allow ed the meters to go above -6 to -4 db. As I could see on an oscilloscope just a hint of flattening of the peaks start to appear.

Back
Top Bottom