Klipsch Heresy 1 speaker rebuild soundcheck (with Martin-Logan)

EJC1

I previously posted on the complete rebuild of the heresy 1s.

They are being used in a 5.1 system as the Front Mains. I originally was going to use the M-L Edge in-walls as the mains but I didn't like the sound. the small short cone drivers were distorting on bass. The M-Ls are now used as a Front Effects.

For any interested, here is a sound test of the system, 1st with the Heresy's alone followed by the Heresys with the M-Ls.

1- I'll warn now, my miking at the start for the intro is louder than the test. I used the on-camera mike and it recorded at a higher level. The music was recorded with a wide angle shotgun mike.

2- I brought it up through youTube on Amazon Fire and the 5.1 did pass through giving a fuller sound than a laptop. (I would guess Chromecast would do the same)

3- Bob Crites, critesspeakers.com, supplied all parts for the Heresy 1 rebuilds except for wire, gaskets and misc. crap

The Room:

The room is an audio horror story. 18' ceilings. Lots of reflections. Left side windows in center with sloping rise to ceilings on either side. Right side is open. Rear is open.

The System:

Speakers:

5.1 but not as you'd expect. The setup is all front.

L&R Mains - Klipsch Heresy1 (1979) complete rebuilds

L&R Effects - Martin-Logan Edge in wall

Center - Martin-Logan SLM surface mount

Subwoofer - Parts Express - Dayton Titanic 10"

Receiver: Yamaha RX-A860

Turntable - Fisher Studio Standard MT-273 Direct Drive (1983) - checked out professionally with cartridge prior to being put into service

Cartridge - Ortofon PM-10

TV - Vizio 70" UHD

The Song: Booker T and the MG's - "Soul Dressing"

My impressions:

1- The Heresys (and SW) do a fine job on their own, but add in the M-Ls and set it to 7ch stereo and the room just erupts in a great sound

2- In this room, the rears were not missed when watching Hacksaw Ridge. The room reflections seem to adequately fill in the void

Sorry, the site would not allow the link to embed, so here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=K19vrnMwNGI&video_referrer=watch

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom