Klipsch KG-4s with a Sansui 7900z

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Alguymcgee, May 17, 2018.

1. Alguymcgee

Alguymcgee New Member

I have a Sansui 7900z and a Technics SL-1301 TT, and I'm ready to upgrade my speakers. I found a working pair of Klipsch KG-4s for really cheap and I like their sound a lot. The only thing holding me back is that they're 6 ohm speakers and my amp only rates itself at 8 ohms. Also, I've heard horror stories about older amps getting fried by certain power sources (though I don't remember the specifics.)

My question is: is it safe to run these speakers with my setup? Or am I totally overthinking this? Forgive me if I'm overthinking, but disposable income doesn't find it's way to me very often and it's taken me a long time to get what I have in place... I just don't wanna risk it because of being too antsy. Below I've included links to the relevant specifics sheets. Thanks in advance for all your tutelage!

http://revintages.com/klipsch-kg-4-speakers-the-most-detailed-page/

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sansui/7900z.shtml

Please register to disable this ad.

2. kfalls

kfalls Super Member

I've had Kg4s since mid 80s. I've used them on many amps receivers rated for 8ohm. They are very efficient, so don't draw as much from the receiver as long as you don't run it at ear-splitting levels. If you're concerned, run them for a short time and verify your receiver isn't getting hot. I don't think you'll have any problems.

3. WaynerN

WaynerN AK Subscriber Subscriber

The im[impedance rating on speakers is a nominal rating anyway, so what that means is that the speaker's impedance will change (and sometimes a lot) by what frequecncies they are producing. I have a pair running on my Marantz 140 with no problem at all.