klipsch kg 5.5

bryblob

I just got these last night...need a little work on a couple woofers, but overall they sound pretty good. so what's the deal on these, are they a pretty good speaker? How do they compare to the rest of the kg line up. I used to own quartet's which I regrettably sold, which is why I bought these. I'm just excited about these speakers and want to know as much as I can

I don't own a pair but have been studying the Klipsch line, feeding my obsession for ever increasing sound quality (as yet unrealized). So this is an academic response. I believe that the KG 5.5 is the top of the line of 90's vintage Klipsch 2-way speakers (with passive radiator, right?). Apparently (if I remember correctly) Klipsch offered a series of large to very large 3-way speakers during the 80's that provided outstanding sound quality. During the 90's they offered a line of speakers that were smaller in footprint, to appeal to a larger market - also very high in quality. I don't think that the KG line is equivalent to the Chorus, though.

I don't own a pair but have been studying the Klipsch line, feeding my obsession for ever increasing sound quality (as yet unrealized). So this is an academic response. I believe that the KG 5.5 is the top of the line of 90's vintage Klipsch 2-way speakers (with passive radiator, right?). Apparently (if I remember correctly) Klipsch offered a series of large to very large 3-way speakers during the 80's that provided outstanding sound quality. During the 90's they offered a line of speakers that were smaller in footprint, to appeal to a larger market - also very high in quality. I don't think that the KG line is equivalent to the Chorus, though.

hey, thanks that's awesome to know that they were top of the line because I got them for a very good price. these don't have a passive radiator there are two 10 inch woofers, both are wired to in parallel ( I think) to the crossover

I have a pair and I don't think they match Quartets (which I also own) but I prefer the three way Klipsch sound...I will say that these were about $900 a pair when new and were the top of the KG line (of all the KGs) and they can get very deep in the bass department (deeper than the Quartets even :D)...I added Crites Titanium tweeter diaphragms but have not yet done the crossovers...nice speaker...excellent buy if you paid under $400...
Bill

I have a pair and I don't think they match Quartets (which I also own) but I prefer the three way Klipsch sound...I will say that these were about $900 a pair when new and were the top of the KG line (of all the KGs) and they can get very deep in the bass department (deeper than the Quartets even :D)...I added Crites Titanium tweeter diaphragms but have not yet done the crossovers...nice speaker...excellent buy if you paid under $400...
Bill

ya, I paid 1/4 of that:D

There was a guy on the Klipsch Forum that thought he had a woofer buzz issue and it turned out that the glue holding the front baffle on had failed. The buzzing was actually the front baffle buzzing against the cabinet.

Might want to do some knock tests.

BYW, I have a pair and really enjoy them. Mainly low level listening with 35 tubed watts.

Enjoy!

Klipsh 5.5

I bought a pair of these new in the early nineties and still use them. They don't have a passive radiator as posted previously, both woofers are active. One acts as a low bass woofer and the other is fed mid-bass and midrange from the crossover. I've replaced the crossovers and the diaphragms in the horns to titanium with Bob Crites units with outstanding results.
Enjoy, Sam :music:

Klipsch 5.5

I like them a lot. Bass is tighter, midrange is fuller and smoother, highs have more presence and sparkle. The stock crossovers look like a cheap tinker toy next to Crites' units.
Sam :music:

I just picked up a set of KG 5.5's myself. Got them for well under $300 so I consider them to be a heck of a lot of loudspeaker for the money. Pushin' them with my Carver CM-1090 has been a thrill. However, they could benefit from a bit of refinement, so I'm ready to hot rod 'em. What's the price of admission for the Bob Crites crossover and tweeter massage that has been mentioned here?
Also, I noticed a very small tear in the surround of one of the 10" drivers. What's the recommended repair for a rubber surround such as you find on these. Haven't detected that it has any affect on the sound, but I'd like to fix it just the same if I can.

Klipsch 5.5

If memory serves, the crossovers were around $240 shipped and the titanium diaphragms were around $60. You can go to the website critesspeakers.com and check it out. These mods were well worth the money IMHO and easy to do yourself.

Kg 5.5

I too picked up a pair of KG 5.5's last summer and they sound great! I do have to re-glue the front baffle's (only one needs it, but I'll do both). I also have a pair of Pioneer CS-77's and a pair of CS-06's but the Klipsch speakers win hands down! btw I picked mine up for 150....I danced all the way home!!!:D

Chuck

I still have my pair purchased new in the mid 90's. They will give many a speaker a run for the money.
I have read several forums that find removing the stock damping foam, and adding damping material directly to the rear panel will really clean up the midbass/midrange response. Some calim they will rival the Chorus with the proper mods.
I havne't yet tried the Crites TI diaphrams, I will soon, and do the damping as well.
I think I will wait on the stock crossovers, give 'em a few more years.

Have never had a problem with the cabinets/baffles coming loose.
One of my original speakers had a broken mounting screw on the woofer, I noticed that it was buzzing.
The sales man @ Audio King tried to claim I broke the screw. I politly told him either I get a new speaker, or I will return both of them and expect a full refund.

Last edited:
I bought a pair of these new in the early nineties and still use them. They don't have a passive radiator as posted previously, both woofers are active. One acts as a low bass woofer and the other is fed mid-bass and midrange from the crossover. I've replaced the crossovers and the diaphragms in the horns to titanium with Bob Crites units with outstanding results.

good info, do you know if both woofers are the same, I mean if one is fed higher frequencies from the crossover does it matter which one is place on top or bottom of the front baffle? I took mine apart to check on one of the woofers and may have swapped places

I have another question to add to the table....I recently took off the grill from one of the speakers and noticed that one of the dustcaps has a whole in it...I hadn't noticed this when I first got them, is there any way to get a replacement or get a generic dustcap for the woofer? Will it affect the sound using a different dustcap? (I wouldn't think so)

good info, do you know if both woofers are the same, I mean if one is fed higher frequencies from the crossover does it matter which one is place on top or bottom of the front baffle? I took mine apart to check on one of the woofers and may have swapped places

The two woofers in the KG 5.5 are the same. They are simply paralleled and fed a single signal from the crossover.

Bob Crites

The two woofers in the KG 5.5 are the same. They are simply paralleled and fed a single signal from the crossover.

Bob Crites

ok, so that info is wrong? I was thinking they were 2 woofers getting the same signal, because that would mean they are a 3 way in a way right?

Both woffers are the saame, both get the same signal. Ask Simply Speakers, Orange County Speakers, or the like what size of dust cap will fit.
Be careful, as the cones can be brittle and crack. A steady hand and a sharp Xacto knife will be needed.
If you already have the woffers otu, I would think about adding some damping material ti the back-PArts express has some nice choices. It looks like the stock piece is about 3/4 thick, so I would go with the 3/4 thick stuff on the back panel. I woudn't add too much, or you will reduce the internal volume. Perhaps the Crites diaphrams as well.
I have always thought the KG 5.5 was a fairly uncolored Klipsch that has great dynamics, and have enjoyed them from the day I bought them new.
I have avoided any tinkering to date, as I don't want to change the sound for the worse, however looking at those who swear by the Crites TI diaphrams will lead me to this in the future. At that point I will go with the damping on the back panel. This makes more sense than the stock foam piece wedged behind the woofer, and should in theory help the midbass.
Interesting side note, Paul Klipsch apparently liked the sound and the resonace of plywood enclosures

Last edited:
How would the KG 5.5 do with a 15 watt tube amp. I notice that they are 100db @ 1W/1meter. Should do ok, hey?

Back
Top Bottom