Klipsch KG2 woofer “blown”

Wires!!

Scored this pair at st. Vinnie’s for $30. Labeled woofer blown. Brought them home and pulled said woofer out to test by itself and the sound that it produces is very distorted and scratchy. Can this be fixed or should I just find a replacement on the bay?361967CA-7474-4216-9E94-0AC385146C15.jpeg

And what causes this problem? Are the vc’s just burnt or melted from over driving the speaker or what?

Thanks,
Adam

You can try rotating the woofer 180 degrees and see if the distortion goes away. Odds are it will probably need to be replaced though.
I had to replace 2 woofers on the KG4's I scored at a garage sale that had the same issue as you describe (fried voicecoils). Good luck!

Scored this pair at st. Vinnie’s for $30. Labeled woofer blown. Brought them home and pulled said woofer out to test by itself and the sound that it produces is very distorted and scratchy. Can this be fixed or should I just find a replacement on the bay?View attachment 1065147

And what causes this problem? Are the vc’s just burnt or melted from over driving the speaker or what?

Thanks,
Adam

Don't run the speaker hard outside of its cabinet. Just use a MM and ohm out the woofer. If it's blown it'll tell you.

It seems that my kg2’s are kg2-wo’s. Which means that there is no passive radiator on the back. And there are 8 screws on the woofer instead of 4. Can’t find my version in the web anywhere...

Back
Top Bottom