Klipsch KG4.2

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by quicksand, Jan 26, 2013.

1. quicksand

quicksand AK Subscriber Subscriber

Alright, have had a pair Klipsch KG4.2 for several years and enjoyed them. I recently purchased a set of crossovers and titanium diaphragms to take the speaker back to their younger years and smooth out some of the brightness to the horns.

The installation was easy and went well. I decided to do a before and after comparison by only doing one speaker and then listening. I think I may have gone wrong here. The new xover and dome do not sound as good to my ear - do I just like the old sound that I was accustom to? There is definitely more volume out of the stock speaker also. Everything is connected and working as it should.

Every now and again depending on the type of music I think the new xover sounds better but then I quickly revert back.

Anyone else have experience with this?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. PR Audio

PR Audio Super Member

The new components might need some break-in time.

3. audiobiker

audiobiker Gonna be Famous

that and the fact that the diaphragms are titanium and the caps are different would have an effect on the sound. And because you have listened to the originals for a long time your brain is accustomed to the "old" sound.

i have had experience with the varying sound output levels as well and i find it quite intriguing. Although, it seems to just be the fact that the parts have never been used and need to be "broken in". After you use them for a bit they will most likely increase their sound output.

AB

4. quicksand

I know this is a slippery slope but the maker of the crossovers states that there is not a break-in time for the capacitors etc.

What I am most curious about is the output difference.

Not ready to throw the towel in and plan to do the second today and hope not to look back. I am sure the new sound will grow on me - I hope. After all it is the way they were intended to sound minus the TI.

5. Dr. Morbius

Dr. Morbius I.N.T.E.R.O.C.I.T.O.R.

I say give your ears some time to adjust to the new sound, maybe a couple of weeks, and see if that helps.

6. quicksand

That is the plan.

As I said before I think it was a mistake to stop and listen halfway through. Been listening for a few hours and I would recommend the new crossovers and the TI domes.

The output still has me scratching me head a bit.

Cheers!

Please register to disable this ad.

7. AudioAndroid

AudioAndroid New Member

I'm looking to do the same to my 4.2's...... Would be interested to hear an update in the future......I've heard quite a few people with the same result (liking the older sound they're familiar with), but grow to love the new sound. Here's hoping they grow on you....:thmbsp:.......Keep this post in mind and get back to us with your future opinion...or your opinion from the future...I mean your opinion in the future....Quick what movie are you thinking of???..can I guess......."Back To The Future":screwy: