1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Klipsch Kg4-FB possible refinishing?

Discussion in 'The Klipsch Korner' started by KTG, Nov 27, 2018.

1. KTG

KTG New Member

Hi all!

First post!

Im in the process of building stands for and hopefully refinishing.

Now to my understanding the FB im the serial means that the wood is fir? The B stands for black as far as I understand. Does this mean it was one with poor veneer? Or would it be solid? Possible to sand and refinish?

I've read a lot of the posts already on here but just want to double check before I ruin a set of speakers .
    Thanks in advance!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. KTG

KTG New Member

Picture!

Attached Files:

3. chip18sw

chip18sw Active Member

You have a pair of Black KG 4's??? And most likely your correct they are Black Fir?? I've never seen such a thing?? Mine are Walnut sigh, and while I would "prefer" a lighter wood … I'm not gonna change them, I like mine as they came form the factory … many years ago. :)

So I would not do it myself but it looks like they are a veneer, and fairly thin?? I would think, your best bet would be to re-veneer in a wood of your choice?? Going from Black to a lighter color seems kinda, difficult to me otherwise?/ But I'm sure there are lot's of wood worker guys that will chime in. :)

4. KTG

KTG New Member

Picture of the speakers in question. I'm going to be building stands with a woodworking buddy of mine so he will probably have some idea as well

Attached Files:

5. silversport

silversport Super Member

FB should stand for Full/Finished Black and the wood under that stain/paint should be Oak that didn't meet Klipsch's standards (although I bet it would look fine if you can get it off)...

Bill

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  6. kfalls

kfalls Super Member

I'm in the same position with a pair of Kg2s. I've read the veneer is thin and care needs to be taken when sanding. I've heard accounts that recommend using a chemical paint remover first before sanding. I always prefer natural wood over paint. My Kg4s are OO (Oiled Oak). I don't plan to do mine until summer, so I'm watching this thread for tips.

silversport likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

I wonder if since the unfinished "decorator" models were birch plywood, might the painted ones be the same?

8. silversport

silversport Super Member

by this era Klipsch was using veneered MDF and while still selling the plain unfinished Heresys (not decorators...decorators are the one's without the grills) kg4s were made in Oak, Walnut and Black...from what I recall of that time period, the black was usually stain'd or painted over the Oak that didn't meet the quality finish Klipsch expected...can you see wood grain through the black (I cannot tell from your photo)???...usually that wood grain will help you to know the wood underneath and I'd bet it is oak...it is on my KLF-C7 center from a slightly newer time than the kg4...

Good luck with your decision and enjoy those kg4s

Bill

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  9. beanoil

beanoil That's not how this works

I had mine re-veneered in Butternut. Authentic, no. Beautiful, heck yeah.