Klipsch KLF-20 foam

smokinone

I just bought some KLF-20 speakers and I rebuilt the crossover networks with the Crites kit, and also upgraded to the titanium tweeters. Nice day and night improvement all the way around. My question however, is about the foam in the cabinet. It looks like cushion type foam inside. Also looks to have been re-glued halfheartedly as well, but it seems to be holding although sloppy work.

DSC01025.JPG DSC01026.JPG DSC01027.JPG DSC01041.JPG DSC01043.JPG
DSC01025.JPG DSC01026.JPG DSC01027.JPG DSC01041.JPG DSC01043.JPG DSC01040.JPG

This is my first effort getting inside a speaker(s) and really don't know what's supposed to be in here, or what should be in here. I've seem some threads where the speaker magnets and back area of the speakers were wrapped in some foam etc. but I was just curious as the stock configuration, or possibly a little better type and placement in the cabinets without getting too carried away.

Thanks

I apologize for bumping an old thread, but the only thing that looks out of place is the foam for the horns. Once piece of foam should go from the top of the cabinet and wrap around so that is goes down the back. The second should wrap around the tweeter and squawker going side to the back and ending on the other side. The last piece should go side to back to the opposing side, but this time it is wrapped around the top woofer. The bottom woofer doesn't get any foam.

I would also check to see if any of the woofers are wired out of phase. People have complained about them being wired wrong from the factory or from a previous owner. There should be a red dot to show which side is positive.

I apologize for bumping an old thread, but the only thing that looks out of place is the foam for the horns. Once piece of foam should go from the top of the cabinet and wrap around so that is goes down the back. The second should wrap around the tweeter and squawker going side to the back and ending on the other side. The last piece should go side to back to the opposing side, but this time it is wrapped around the top woofer. The bottom woofer doesn't get any foam.

I would also check to see if any of the woofers are wired out of phase. People have complained about them being wired wrong from the factory or from a previous owner. There should be a red dot to show which side is positive.

Thanks for replying. That's kind of information I was looking for. They are starting to sound pretty good now. I know Bob says there's no break in on the caps, but I seem to hear better bass and clearer mids and highs after a couple of months of play. As far as the phase, I believe you are correct in looking for that. I didn't pay too much attention when pulling the speakers apart, but I did when putting them back together. What I did notice is that the bass seemed muddy or distorted before I rebuilt the crossover network, and not so when I put them back. I attributed that to the new caps, but could very well have been what you describe as the speaker terminal locations, or speaker placement were different for the 2 speakers. Judging from the glue job, I don't think whoever had them apart paid too much attention to detail.
Please don't apologize as you were the only gentleman that responded, on a couple of forums.

Much appreciated.

This is what I did to mine. Crites crossovers with bandpasses for the titanium mids, Crites titanium tweets and Klipsch titanium mids.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 42
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 40
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 37
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 39
This is what I did to mine. Crites crossovers with bandpasses for the titanium mids, Crites titanium tweets and Klipsch titanium mids.

Nice

What type and size foam did you use. Is it glued or pinch fit inside the cabinet?
Thanks

Last edited:
Don't quite remember what type of foam, I think it's 1" open cell, but I cut it for a tight fit and used two-sided carpet tape to secure it to the cabinet. It's still holding after five years. I left the lower portion of the cabinet bare to get some resonance around the ports.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom