Klipsch KLF10 vs Infinity 7 Kappas vs Infinity Kappa 8.1s

I have a nice rec room/bar I’m remodeling and have room for an extra set of speakers. I am thinking between these 3 but want to know which ones really hit fast and hard in the bass Dept (with no sub needed) in a party atmosphere. Variety of music to be played from AC/DC to Tool, Beck and Beastie Boys. Will by driving them with a 200wpc vintage amp. Thanks!

At one point I owned the Kappa 7 and the KLF-10 and a pair of Altec 878b

The KLF-10 sounded very much like the Altecs. They're excellent speakers. Only thing the Altecs had over them was power handling, but that shouldn't matter for most in-home listening.

The Kappa 7 utilize power in a different way. I think they're smoother sounding, but a bit veiled or recessed in the mids and somewhat relaxed in the highs. The IMG woofer goes surprisingly low in a smooth manner instead of "Sledgehammer" hit kind of way

Last edited:
"Party atmosphere"

Dual 10" woofers
98dB sensitivity

Get the KLF-10's. I had a pair earlier this year. Get the Crites Tweeter diaphragms and let em rip.

I only sold because the midrange tends to take a back seat at high volumes due to the high crossover point. Hold out for KLF-20's if you don't want that problem. But if you want to bring down the house and get high fives from your buddies, the KLF's won't let you down.

I have had 7.1 and KLF 10,20 and 30. I have 6 - KLF 30’s in my surround system now.
I found the Infinity’s to be brighter and more forward than the Klipsch and require more power but would take them over the 10’s. I would recommend KLF 20’s.

Interesting responses. I was leaning toward the Klipsch solely because I have a bass guitar amp utilizing 2 10s (I have 2 cabs, so 4 10s total) and found it exceeded my expectations. I should say the rev room is an “L” shape with my Dahlquist DQ10s at the top of the L facing down if you follow, and my bar top will be at the tip of the small part of the L. I am planning to use a speaker selecting switch box when we have company at the bar, and the party speaker set will be where the 2 lines of the L meet but facing the bar (tip of the small part of the L) hope this makes sense, and I really appreciate the input.

WARNING: Personal opinion ahead:
A friend had a pair of KLF 20. They sounded horrible to my Infinity tuned ears. Shrill, in your face, highs and mids, and bloated, sloppy bass. He did the diaphragm upgrades, added L-pads, reglued the baffle that was falling off, still sounded awful...

Get the Infinity!

WARNING: Personal opinion ahead:
A friend had a pair of KLF 20. They sounded horrible to my Infinity tuned ears. Shrill, in your face, highs and mids, and bloated, sloppy bass. He did the diaphragm upgrades, added L-pads, reglued the baffle that was falling off, still sounded awful...

Get the Infinity!

It's definitely going with what your ears prefer. I haven't yet heard a pair of Klipsch I can stand to be in the room with, especially the horn drivers. All the way from the big Horns to the Heresy, they have had that teeth-grating "edge" to the mids and highs - even with the L-pads down.

OTOH, every non-mass-market Infinity I've ever heard (going all the way back to the 2000A) has been pretty amazing; my RS4000 would be my primary speaker if I didn't have the Magneplanars. My only concern would be the longevity of the Kappa polydomes - part of the reason I have always gravitated toward the EMITs.

I have a nice rec room/bar I’m remodeling and have room for an extra set of speakers. I am thinking between these 3 but want to know which ones really hit fast and hard in the bass Dept (with no sub needed) in a party atmosphere. Variety of music to be played from AC/DC to Tool, Beck and Beastie Boys. Will by driving them with a 200wpc vintage amp. Thanks!
From what you say you want here, the KLF10 will deliver. It's not what the Infinities will give you.

My infinities were just driven out of the shop by Klipsch KSB 3.1. You can actually understand the lyrics now!

8.1 is an all around great performance speaker. I’d start there and work your way down if your not happy.

As to amp killing not fake news. First series smoked many an amp. Later models such as 8.1 and 8.2 are said to have fixed issue. Awesome sound regardless. Good luck on what ever you land on.

As to amp killing not fake news. First series smoked many an amp. Later models such as 8.1 and 8.2 are said to have fixed issue. Awesome sound regardless. Good luck on what ever you land on.
The Kappa 9 was "the" amp killer.

Personal experience...

ML reQuests with the Andromeda driving them go deep. Deep.

If that's not enough for you, you can always bi-amp. 12" woofers in sealed boxes. Subs built in.

Granted, don't know what the speakers you are interested in go for. reQuests run $1500-2500 depending on condition and market.

I have a chance to obtain some Klf 30s. How much room do these need, and are they much better than the 10s?
Get them if you can. I have Klf 20s and they are seriously all I could ask for. The difference between the 30s and the 10s will be huge. Worth the upgrade. The 30s will take up a little more floor space because they're about 3 inches wider, but that's all for floor space. They are quiet a bit taller though. Sorry to bump an older thread, but I thought I might as well try to answer. Even if the 30s are probably long gone.

Get them if you can. I have Klf 20s and they are seriously all I could ask for. The difference between the 30s and the 10s will be huge. Worth the upgrade. The 30s will take up a little more floor space because they're about 3 inches wider, but that's all for floor space. They are quiet a bit taller though. Sorry to bump an older thread, but I thought I might as well try to answer. Even if the 30s are probably long gone.
Appreciate it, but I did pick up the 10s already. More than enough for the space they are in:beerchug:
/would love to get some 30s someday. I need more rooms:biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom