Klipsch Quartet upgrade question,s

PeerlessK

one - audible difference with changing the tweeter diaphragm with Crites someone please describe the sound difference between the original and the titanium . Better or worse ? Not just because someone's says it's better . So I'm looking for an honest opinion about the diaphragms

Two- the mid diagram from Klipsch . Do you need to upgrade the crossover before install for them to work correctly ? Again the sound differences

Thank you

I have changed the tweeter diaphragm on every Klipsch speaker I own that I can change them on using the one's Bob and Michael Crites sell...in each case, I have heard smoother and clearer voices and detail...I'm not an audiophile so if I accidentally use one of their terms improperly, I apologize :D...

I have had these results on kg2, kg4, KG 4.5, KG 5.5, Quartet, Chorus ll, Heresy ll, KLF-C7 and in each case found this to be one of the easiest and biggest bang for buck upgrades...

I have not tried the mid diaphragms in any thus far but have also done the Crites updates on the crossovers in my Klipsch speakers...I think this is also a great update but results have been harder for me to hear but I do believe this too has been a worthwhile improvement...

Others will chime in here but I believe you may have to alter the crossovers for the mid diaphragms...

Bill

I ordered some tweeter diaphragms . Thinking about the crossover upgrade simply apon looking at factory crosssovers look like toys compared to crites upgrade . Thanks for the response Silversport

ti tweeter diaphragm only reproduces harmonics in a Heresy ll or a Quartet, Forte, Chorus etc. The mid diaphragm in these speaker reproduce all fundamentals. If you like what the ti diaphragm does for harmonics you will be blown away by what it does for fundamentals. Do you need to mess with your network by adding additional network when using the ti mid diaphragm? No you don't need to use the network, I did not and I have used the ti diaphragms in many Klipsch speakers with no issues I also own two sets of H3 (which run ti mid/tweeter diaphragms) you can always add the additional network later should you feel the need. moray james.

Remember Bob only has phenolic mid diaphragms. Original Klipsch factory ti mid diaphragms are available through Simply Speakers.

Last edited:
ti tweeter diaphragm only reproduces harmonics in a Heresy ll or a Quartet, Forte, Chorus etc. The mid diaphragm in these speaker reproduce all fundamentals. If you like what the ti diaphragm does for harmonics you will be blown away by what it does for fundamentals. Do you need to mess with your network by adding additional network when using the ti mid diaphragm? No you don't need to use the network, I did not and I have used the ti diaphragms in many Klipsch speakers with no issues I also own two sets of H3 (which run ti mid/tweeter diaphragms) you can always add the additional network later should you feel the need. moray james.

^THIS^

-D

I installed the Crites upgrades last weekend including:
1. Crites Crossovers (fit nicely and n the botton of the speaker)
2. Crites Ti Diaphragms on the tweeters
3. Crites diaphragms on the mids

The work is relatively easy by removing the back woofer.

I did one speaker first (all changes) to compare to the stock speaker (with replaced capacitors approx. 5 years ago).

My observations were a much bigger sound in general - better bass and smoother clearer highs. Using a mono record the Crites speaker just sounded better to me.

Well on to the second speaker.

First, I did have an issue with the Crites mid diaphragm - checking with Bob he indicated his diaphragms for the mid are identical to the originals (which were workin fine in my speakers) - so if your mids are working leave them alone. I also asked Bob if he would recommend Ti Diaphragms for the mids and he said no. I know others recommend them but Bob does not - he also mentioned the crossovers would require mods for Ti diaphragms in the mids.

Overall - In addition to the improved fuller sound there is also a big improvement in soundstage - I am hearing instruments in places that were not there prior to the mods. I would recommend these modifications for anyone who's quartets are losing their lustre.

I am very happy with titanium diaphragms on my Heresy III clones, but then again, I'm using a custom ALK crossover that's optimized by Al for the Heresy III. I have not done the diaphragm update on my KP250A speakers in my home theater, however.

-D

I saw a pair of Quartets in exellent condition for $250 is that a good price for these?

Hello members,
I've just found an ultra MINT pair of Quartet w/upgraded Titanium tweeters and x-overs from Bob Crites, AZ
I know canadian $650 is a bit above market price but minty cabs with these upgrades will save me a bit of time since I'm too husy to do the job myself. Next step is to do ''Moray James'' bracings and add 2.5 oz weight on the rear passive unit but I cannot find pics of this gentlemen esteemed work. Anyone can help me? Cheers from Montreal

Hello members,
I've just found an ultra MINT pair of Quartet w/upgraded Titanium tweeters and x-overs from Bob Crites, AZ
I know canadian $650 is a bit above market price but minty cabs with these upgrades will save me a bit of time since I'm too husy to do the job myself. Next step is to do ''Moray James'' bracings and add 2.5 oz weight on the rear passive unit but I cannot find pics of this gentlemen esteemed work. Anyone can help me? Cheers from Montreal

given the cost of the upgraded parts I would say that is a good (Canadian Dollars) deal which I would take especially for a mint pair. I would also recommend that you remove the dated looking factory riser and place them up on 14 -16 inch tall four post stands will depend upon your height and seating. You want to place the centre of the mid horn at your seated ear level. See Skylan Stands for good image. I have also attached a photo of a Harbeth on a similar size stand to give you an idea of the visual. Weight simply mounts to the centre of the inside of the passive radiator use minimal adhesive three or four very small dots of glue is all you need.

Attachments

• Skylan Stand-M40.jpg
    Skylan Stand-M40.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 109
given the cost of the upgraded parts I would say that is a good (Canadian Dollars) deal which I would take especially for a mint pair. I would also recommend that you remove the dated looking factory riser and place them up on 14 -16 inch tall four post stands will depend upon your height and seating. You want to place the centre of the mid horn at your seated ear level. See Skylan Stands for good image. I have also attached a photo of a Harbeth on a similar size stand to give you an idea of the visual. Weight simply mounts to the centre of the inside of the passive radiator use minimal adhesive three or four very small dots of glue is all you need.

Thanks very much for the info Sir Moray!

I know Noel Nolan from Skylan Stands in Alberta, ordered from him these similar excellent stands a few years ago. Filled them with dried sand. He gave me one of his invention: 8 ''Q Discs'' to place under each spkrs (4 discs per spkrs), a very nice improvements.
I am also thinking to make heavy one pillar stands with concrete patio tiles...
I have been able to find pics of your bracings posted by other members, it's pretty clear, just need a couple or dz hours...:) What I can't find is pics of your 2.5 oz weights (steel washers ot lead soldering wire?) installed in the passive radiator...I'm very visual.

BTW I can also put my hands on less minty Chorus 1 for Canadian $650 as well. Are they much better than the Quartets? I have a 20'x20' carpeted listening room in my basement and intend to run the Quartets (and/or Chorus 1...) with a 50W Audio Research integrated tube amp. I usually don't listen to loud levels.
I have owned at least 25 pairs of mid to high end speakers (JBL, B&W, Spendor, Kef, ProAc, Tannoy, Dynaudio, Dynaco, PMC, Paradigm, Energy, Mission, Martin Logan, Altec Lansing, Harbeth and many others...). Also did DIY beauties with Scanspeak and SEAS drivers, those I kept along with the Proacs. Ears are always the final judge but, as my wife says, my quest for Audio nirvana is not over yet at 57 YO...

Any pics of where you have intalled the weights would be appreciated. I think the Quartet passive rads are the KD-13

Cheers from Montreal

Antoine

Antoine: if you pull the passive out of the box you will see directly in the centre of the inside a round flat smooth area covered in grey paper dead centre of the assembly you want your weight centred so it balances. not difficult at all. I have no camera. I would buy the Chorus as well and compare over time. You can also re tune the Chorus by extending the vents to seven inches long. You can enjoy both speakers somewhere in the house. If I had to pick on it would be the Chorus but you will need some power to run a Chorus at its best but if you want to stick with the integrated go with the Quartet.

Antoine: if you pull the passive out of the box you will see directly in the centre of the inside a round flat smooth area covered in grey paper dead centre of the assembly you want your weight centred so it balances. not difficult at all. I have no camera. I would buy the Chorus as well and compare over time. You can also re tune the Chorus by extending the vents to seven inches long. You can enjoy both speakers somewhere in the house. If I had to pick on it would be the Chorus but you will need some power to run a Chorus at its best but if you want to stick with the integrated go with the Quartet.

Dear Moray,

Many thanks for your kindness and your expertise.
As soon as I pick-up the Quartets, I will take off the passive radiator and look into it.
I will also inquire with the Chorus 1 seller if caps have been changed ans other mods. If not, may they need the Bob Crites tweeters and crossovers upgrade? And of course your suggestion to extend the vents 7'' long is well noted.
I do have a powerful 300w/channel solid state integrated to drive Chorus 1, so I will definitely try to grab these as well depending on how good they are preserved.

What is the difference or improvements between the Chorus I & II?

Cheers from Montreal

with the Chorus you won't be playing quite a low but the impact and weight that you get will be far more realistic as will be the much improved dynamics. Stage and image will also be more realistic and you will have the ability to launch much larger wave fronts which will make physically large instruments sound much more realistic than possible with smaller loudspeakers. On top of all of this distortion will be lower at all levels and your ability to playback at realistic level will be much better with the Chorus. The Chorus has a real high quality pro woofer snag them they are worth it even if you have to give them some TLC.

Hi Moray, I wonder if a 2.5 oz blob of non drying putty would work instead of the washers? Brian Cheney of VMPS used to use it with his passives to tune them.

Just finished my Quartets. I had already installed titanium diaphragms and used dynamat on the horns and passives. I modified Klipsch E2 Heresy crossovers to Quartet specs to replace the stock items. Added weight to the passive radiators per Moray James instructions. More glue and bracing and a little more foam. I already loved my Quartets, now I have Extraordinary Quartets with solid bass to below 30hz! Happy Days!

Back
Top Bottom