Klipsch R-112SW Hummer Bummer

Discussion in 'The Klipsch Korner' started by rhodus, Dec 31, 2018.

1. rhodus

rhodus AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have this subwoofer that I bought new several months ago and I can't make it stop humming. When no RCA cable is hooked to it, it is silent. When an RCA is hooked to it but not to anything else there is a loud hum. Hooking the RCA cable to my receiver reduces the hum but it is still there and it also induces a small hum in the main speakers. My system with all it's components is dead silent at idle until I plug this sub into it. I checked the Klipsch forum and it is a common issue but there are no solutions other than try new cables, check the electrical outlet, etc. No schematic was provided with the unit and I don't know if one is available. I am going to open this baby up and see what I can see. Any input from the Pros at AK is much needed and appreciated.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. rhodus

I
    Posted August 5, 2018 (edited)
    Issue Identified with Klipsch R-112SW, brand new, out of the box, 1 week ago. Stored since I bought brand new.

After troubleshooting for 2 days, I have successfully eliminated Klipsch hum, this looks to be due to Klipsch poor manufacturing process.

The LINE and the NEUTRAL are REVERSED inside the subwoofer ,on the plate amplifier , connecting your power cord to the power supply through the D-Sub connector. The connection on the D-sub is correct, The WHITE WIRE is NEUTRAL! (N), The BLACK WIRE is LINE (L).

However, Klipsch Manufacturing connected the NEUTRAL WHITE WIRE to the (L) input on the amplifier, and also connected the LINE BLACK WIRE to the (N) on plate amplifier. THIS IS INCORRECT. This is REVERSED.

I corrected this, NEUTRAL WHITE WIRE to the (N), LINE BLACK WIRE to the (L), guess what, voila, no more hum!!!

Use solution at your own risk.

IMHO, Klipsch, Fix your manufacturing in China. Do an onsite, take a look. Correct the process. Perform a recall. Get it resolved. Thanks

[​IMG]

Edited August 5, 2018 by sirjaymzfound this on the Klipsch forum. Sounds like what I suspected - a manufacturing flaw. I haven't opened up mine yet but I will this morning.

3. rhodus

Well I opened mine up and it had the same issue. I switched the black and white wires and Voila! No more hum! For about 1 minute and an internal breaker shut the sub down completely. Will do some more investigating but it looks like this might just be a piece of crap.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  4. rhodus

Another lesson learned about modern audio gear...its mostly junk. I bought this to supplement my vintage Heresys but now I will go a different route. OLD SCHOOL RULES!

5. Dudeman7

Dudeman7 Active Member

Yikes! Sorry you had this experience.

Thanks for sharing your story though.

rhodus likes this.