1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Klipsch RB-5, where to go next

Discussion in 'The Klipsch Korner' started by c-atle-79bay, Oct 19, 2018.

1. c-atle-79bay

c-atle-79bay Super Member

My first klipsch speakers, and I'm really really impressed. While I take my time enjoying these, my exsting mains are now on hiatus, what speaker to look for next? Are these the typical klipsch sound? I'd describe it to my ears and very detailed yet with enough warmth to make it friendly. My existing speakers are accurate, tight, and the RB-5's seem to keep in line with them just that touch more warmth to the music, but not near as much low low end, but for the functinal bass area man they keep up really well. Anyway first klipsch, and honestly kinda hooked at the moment.

fredgarvin likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Jirachi

Jirachi Member

Really depends on the size you want to go. I believe KG series (4.2, 4.5, 5.2, 5.5) are solid ways to start if you only want to spend ~$200-350. From there I'd suggest Forte, then Cornwall/Chorus.

3. Ross6860

Ross6860 AK Subscriber Subscriber

What he said^^

4. icenine

icenine Super Member

I have a pair of RB-5s also. Probably one of the best bookshelves you are going to hear so...enjoy them. The RB-5s are not harsh and have a pretty good low-end.
    I paid only $129 for them at pawn shop, same place I bought some Klipsch Epic CF-3s for $165.

Pawn shops rather than thrifts will probably be a better source for Klipsch speakers in general. I am sure someday I will stumble across some legacy models.

5. silversport

silversport Super Member

your RB-5s are great speakers whether you are talking bookshelves or not...one Klipsch engineer thinks highly enough about them that he has been quoted as saying they are his favorite sounding speakers and uses a pair in his studio...

If it were me and you wanted more, I'd recommend the Heritage type speakers that are 3 way however the sound will be a bit different...hopefully you can audition them before buying...

Enjoy

Bill

6. c-atle-79bay

Interesting glad I grabbed them for sure.

7. silversport

silversport Super Member

depending on if they were RB-5s or RB-5 lls (the same speaker but Monster Wire inside and different real wood veneer choices) they were $800-$850 retail new...

Enjoy...they are a nice speaker at $300 or so used...

Bill

8. c-atle-79bay

Thanks all, the only issue with mine, is no grills, which I've heard is typical for these. I have a co-working with a 3d printer and thinking about working something up for that. Or I start looking for a new pair, mine are mahogany, and grab the grills, or get more of this same sound, perhaps in the RF-5, but it sounds like these speakers hit a certain spot. And honestly the only thing I find missing in the bass is the really low notes, but they are very very solid in what they have, very usable good sounding bass. I was listening to "the chain" and during the bass notes at the end the start to give up, but only on part of it.

9. moray james

moray james Super Member

purchase the best subs that you can possibly afford and be happy it ought to be a sweet combination the RB5 is a keeper build yourself a new grill. I should add you will need a top quality set of stands to make these come to life look to the Skylan Stands four post stand, these are superb sounding stands they will amaze you.

10. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

I have not heard the RB-5. I have heard several models in the Reference series with those copper-colored drivers and found them all lacking in midrange resolution. I had expected the opposite, so was disappointed. The next step, imo, is one of the three-way models like Heresy, Quartet, Forte, Cornwall, Chorus and on up the line to the corner-horns. IMO, that is where Klipsch hits it stride, with their house sound that some love and some hate. I tend toward the former.

Haven't heard the Jubilee, though. Would like to.

Having owned most of the Heritage line, including the K-horn, at one time or another, I have kept the Forte, though if I had come across Cornwall or Chorus when I hit the K-horn, it would likely be one of those I kept. I will only secretly admit that I don't care as much for La Scala, though, so don't pass that around.

We all like what we like.

silversport likes this.
  11. c-atle-79bay

Thanks again all, have to hold back my klipsch for the moment as I dove into naim a nait3 but with its dynamic 30/wpc I will be moving forward sooon. As it stands the Seattle area has many choices of upper end klipsch right now, some beat up forte ll’s, klf 10/30(with crites) epic 2(I really like the look of these) chorus ll etc.

The one that really is drawing me though are some heresy lll on eBay half of retail but no grills and unfinished.

12. moray james

moray james Super Member

unfinished H3??? How do you do that? Not a factory option, I would be very cautious. Only one way for you to know about the others for yourself and that is to try them out. With your amp the KLF30 would do well, the KLF10 and the Epic2 would be fun, Chorus 2 really require a lot more power to truly shine a CW2 would be a better match and if you wanted and you could swap out the K601 for a larger mid horn and place it above the tweeter on a new baffle. CW2 will be happy with your Nait3.