1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Klipsch RF-5

Discussion in 'The Klipsch Korner' started by corpblues, Aug 30, 2015.

1. corpblues

corpblues AK Member Subscriber

Karma seems to have worked. I send to an estate sale in Highland Park (Dallas) TX on Saturday morning. Highland Park is where the money lives, not me. There was a very nice crown pre-amp, tuner and amp was the reason for going. It was fully priced and several guys were getting aggressive over it, so I passed for both reasons.

I went back to the sale this morning (Sunday) hoping the Crown gear was somehow still there. (The guy buying had to go to the bank to get the rest of the money). The crown gear was there, but the klipsch RF-5's where still there. They were marked $400 and I got them for less as it was 2nd & last day of the sale.

I have no knowledge of the quality, general opinion, or value of Klipsch RF-5's. But I figured they were worth buying as they were connected to the crown and the owner could afford quality. I can not find too much about them on the internet. I did find one review that said they were $750 each new. I do find several RF-7 II's on ebay going for a couple of thousand, perhaps there is something extra special about RF-7 II's, so perhaps there is no direct price comparison.

Except for one broken clip on one grill they are in excellent condition.

I bought with the intention of selling, but looks like something else may have to go. These sound amazing connected to my MAC 1700 & B&O CD-X and playing Dave Matthews / Time Reynolds - Live at Luther College.

Would be interested in hearing options from the knowledgeable Klipsch Krowd if these RF-5's are considered a good find.

Klipsch site details
    http://www.klipsch.com/rf-5-floorsta...peaker/details

Please register to disable this ad.

2. moray james

moray james Super Member

Congratulations: excellent find excellent price. RF5 uses the exact same horn as used in the RF7 and the RF7 ll it is the largest horn in the RF series. Raise the speakers up so the centre of the horn is at your seated ear level. These are keepers and you rarely see them for sale use because they are one of the special speakers in the RF line. A totally fine loudspeaker you can put away your loudspeaker buying troubles now and look to working on the rest of your system. Best regards Moray James.

3. corpblues

Klipsch RF-5's and JBL 4311b's doing A/B battle. Maybe I'll pull out the speaker selector so the Altec Model 9's and Original Large Advents can join the A/B/C/D fight.

Trying to thin the herd to 2 and thus far the RF-5's and JBL 4311b's are the keepers. But final decision not made yet.

A good way to spend a Sunday evening. :D

[​IMG]

4. corpblues

I've have and had a lot of speakers. These RF-5's are the first speakers my son asked me if I wanted to sell. Sign of a definite keeper!

They also blend well with my JBL 4311b's, they seem to complement each other well.

5. AlTinkster92

AlTinkster92 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nice find! Wondering the difference between those and the RF 711? Just height?

6. whell

whell AK Subscriber Subscriber

The RF-uses twin 8 inch LF drivers versus the RF-7's twin 10 inch LF drivers. The RF-7's cabinet is larger.

7. corpblues

I'm in the dog house over the size of the RF-5 cabinets. Had I dragged in a pair of RF-7's my dog house would have been moved outside.

8. Coytee

Coytee Super Member

You've gone about it all wrong.

Need to head over to the Klipsch forum and see some of the pictured setups of some of those guys.

We're talking full MWM system in the basement, full KP600 system and others just as ugly and good sounding.

You show the wife those pictures and she'll think those guys are nuts (and they are) and she will love you for your modestly sized speakers.

You read this on the internet, would I lie to you?

:scratch2: :D

9. Chubba

Chubba Active Member

My wife loves the RF-7II and all the rest of it. Very lucky that way!

10. corpblues

I need a basement!

11. tyler8

tyler8 Active Member

My wife is very forgiving and has never argued speakers but questioned the end of the line size wise since introducing Forte II's. Guess she's just considering herself lucky or preparing for the bigger beast. I've managed Cornwall's and Belles since then and all still remain in various rooms. Why, I showed her exactly what Coytee suggested.............his Jubes. Still working in that direction. She knows the music takes the edge off my day. In the end her sanctuary, her updated kitchen is right next to mine, the room with the Belles and that's by mutual choice a great place to meet with a bottle or two of wine.

12. corpblues

Update on the RF-5 speakers. I hooked them up to a Pioneer SX-1010 I bought and had repaired. I've always enjoyed the RF-5's but the power of the SX-1010 took them to a new level. Find myself listening to just one more song for hours because I'm enjoying the combo so much.

moray james likes this.
  13. Grizzog

Grizzog Active Member

Nice find!

Saw some questions on the differences - the RF7/RF-7II have dual 10" woofers, larger cabinet, and a larger 1.75" compression driver vs the 1" in the RF5.

14. OLDBOLDDIVER

OLDBOLDDIVER New Member

RF'5's are the RF7's little brother, I have a pair that I bought new in the early 2000's. They are nice speakers but need a lot of power to make them sound their best. You don't see them come up for sale very often.

moray james likes this.
  15. joebeadg

joebeadg Active Member

I have a pr of RF5, love them. Great speakers!

16. corpblues

Fully agree with the need for power. I always liked them but after ging them more power, I love them.

17. corpblues

I picked up a pair of ADS L1290/2 Tower Loudspeakers that took over the RF-5 rotation slot.

The RF-5's sound great and do benefit from power, give them 100 watts and you will love them.