Klipsch RP-160m vs Monitor Audio Bronze 2

guybar10

Hi everyone,
I'm wanna purchase a new pair of bookshelf speakers for music listening only (The reciever is a vintage Marantz MR-230)
I've narrowed the options down to these 2 pairs (They are in my budget)
I heard great reviews on both of them (Never actually listened to any of them)
Which one should I choose?

Thanks in advance for any help...

I'm a much bigger fan of the MAs myself. They are good all-around speakers. I demoed a similar pair of Klipsch in my home and thought they were "missing" something in the frequencies where the woofer hands off to the tweeter.

Of course, I always recommend listening first, as your ears and room may like the Klipsch better than the MAs.

Also note the Klipsch lwill be more sensitive to placement with its rear port.

The rear port is not an issue for me.
I love a crisp detailed top end and a big warm sound and to my understanding the horn tweeter on the klipsch is proving exactly that...

Or I may be wrong

Well there are always trade/offs, I have B/S speakers from both Mfg's
I would say the MA's are the safer bet, but then again you might get better return if the klipsch like what your feeding them.

The problem is you not being able to here them first.. They are two diff. worlds in sound.
Worst case-- the MA could sound buzzy and smooth @ the same time,, and the Klipsch sounding harsh and fatiguing.
You might reject them both or fall in love with one,.only your ear can tell.

Yeah we listen a lot here, the average Joe might not give a crap!

Best-

Boozehound

Last edited:
So let's put simple (If possible)
What are the characteristics of each speaker?
Maybe that will help me decide...

The Klipsch have horn tweeters and the MA have a dome tweeter, so I would base my decision on whether the horn tweeter is your cup of tea, or do you prefer the British sound with a dome tweeter. I personally find the horns a bit harsh to my ears, but others will disagree. I have not heard the Klipsch. I have heard the MA because there is a dealer about 3 miles from my home. I believe you could order both pairs from Amazon and return the one you don't want before 30 days are up. Don't hold me to that though.

I own MA Silver RS8 towers. I would describe them as lush, detailed, and smooth as butter. They've been in my main system since 2009 and they aren't going anywhere.

From what I read, what you say is true about the harshness of the horn tweeter, but, as I've read it is almost gone in this model as they really improved the tweeter and worked on this "issue".
So in fact what you're left with is the crisp and detailed highs like former models but without the harshness...Isn't it supposed to be great?
Again, only from what I've read.

And about the return policy, I don't think that I have this privilege here in Israel...

The Klipsch will probably sound kind of forward and in-your-face, the MA more laid back and smooth. It's kind of the east-cost/west coast sound argument. Only you can decide which you like better. You might also consider the Polk RTiA3, kind of splits the difference...

To someone not having exposure to horns, as it sounds you are not, they may sound harsh, shouty and offputting at first. But you can always try dampening the room.

Thanks everybody for your help...
The klipsch's are on their way.
(I still hope that it's not a mistake, I would say that if I bought the MA's too)

It's hard being torn apart between 2 options like that...

Many of the recent Klipsch speakers are much more refined than their monster horn offerings of the past that required some serious EQ adjustments, VERY careful matching, and modifications to not sound offensive. Those RP-160m seem to get good reviews, So I doubt you can go far wrong with that choice.

Speaking of matching equipment, That Marantz MR-230 might be a perfect a match for the Klipsch. The warm sound Marantz receivers are known for will compliment the somewhat more dynamic sound of the Klipsch.

It should be noted that many speakers (and amps to a lesser degree) are perceived to be more detailed only because the high frequency's are overemphasized. This is particularly so with vintage horn speakers. The also gives a misleading sensitivity figure to the speaker because to sound correct the HF must be dialed back 5 db's or more, and the bass must be turned up plenty, or we must use a sub to get it right. I once thought one of my amps was more detailed than another, But after careful scrutiny, The amp with the most detail was in fact the one with a more laid back sound. Go figure.

Thanks...
What do say about the fact that the klipsch's are made in china?
Does that even matter?

Many good speakers are made there now. Indeed, many of our homes are filled with furnishing's, Appliances, and Textile goods that are made in china and other Asian countries. It's a little late to worry about that now. That said, I think it is a good idea to support local business in our home country when practical.

I hope you end liking the Klipsch as well. They are good speakers, just a little different.

Too bad you didn't try the MAs though. Although some often describe the MA sound as "lush", I feel that term better applies to silk dome British speakers such as Wharfedales.

To my ears, the C-CAM tweeter MA uses is very detailed, and is almost too harsh for some listeners. Possibly they've earned the "lush" or "warm" label due to the usually copious amounts of bass they extract for their cabinet size.

Regardless, good luck with the Klipsch. Good speakers, just not everyone's cup of tea. Without having another set to compare them to, I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy them.

Ok I have a question about some Klipsch RP-160m that are for sale near me. I'm wondering if I should get them or just keep the pair of Polk 7B that I have. So should I spend some money getting the Polks up to specs or get the used still in a box Klipsch on creaglist for $300. I tend to like bass heavy music. I'm pairing them to a totally rebuilt Pioneer sx1250. I've never heard the Klipsch RP -160m but have read lots of good things about them.
Thanks

Thanks...
What do say about the fact that the klipsch's are made in china?
Does that even matter?
I have a pair of KEF iQ50s made in China. They sound great. I also found some Klipsch RB-15s last year that were made in China and those are nice sounding small bookshelf speakers. It is not the location but the quality control at the site of manufacture.

Back
Top Bottom