Klipschorn Decorator

hugeroost

So a friend of mine that works here at Guitar & Banjo called me last week and wanted to know if I was interested in another set of speakers, he knows I collect Klipsch and have a bunch of different sets. I tell him sure if their Klipsch I'm always interested and ask which ones they are, all he knows is their big, but he'll take a pic of the tag and send to me. So 15 seconds later I get pic and low and behold it says Klipschorn, and in the box below pic he writes " their free just come get em ". Well after getting that pic ole Roost fire's up his old speaker hauling chevy and gathers up a couple of his Mexicans and books to G&B which is a mile away. Now red flags are going up in my mind, free Korns, somethings wrong right ? I mean dam even a total idiot dosnt give away Klipschorns no matter what shape their in. Come to find out a local church was re-doing their sound system and figured these old things aint any good anymore and get one of the guys with a truck to haul them off, they actually told him to put them out on the street for trash pickup. The guy felt bad about putting them on street and hauled them up to G&B and asked if anybody wanted them, luckily my buddy was there. These were purchased in 1980 and installed by Brock Audio here in town and not moved until last week, literally sat in one place for 35 years. They are mint, raw birch, but do not have a top piece or sides. I cleaned them up and they look pretty much new, I have contacted a friend who has owned a cabinet shop for 40 years and he is going to come look at them and see about finishing them out. I have already sourced the birch here locally and its not that bad, I figure i'll need two 4x8 sheets, and their around 60 bucks each. The only thing I see different is it is not two pieces like most, its one piece of 3/4 top to bottom, with no kickplate at bottom either. My idea is to finish these out and sell them at a good price, put some more money with it and find a set of oiled oak which is what I've been wanting forever. I was wondering if anybody here in the forum has ever messed with the decorator Korn's or even seen any, I talked to the guy who originally sold them and was told the decorator's were for someone wanting to build around them, and then match the stain to their household furnishings, or in situations like the church where their heard and not really seen, as they were a little cheaper than a finished out set. I havnt fired them up yet, I need to move some stuff away from my corners in the shop, but the guy told my friend they sounded just like they always had and he just couldn't throw them away. I don't even own a camera but don't know how to post a picture anyway, I do have a friend on the Klipsch forum I could get to do it I reckon. I just cant believe I got a mint set of Korn's for free, I read all the stories in here and wonder why that never happens to me, well it finally did, to barrow a phrase from Jimmy V " don't give up, don't ever give up "...Roost

Why on earth don't you just finish them in oiled oak?

Done.

Or you can finish them in a finish you don't want, hope to find a buyer for some great speakers that most people don't want, and then somehow manage to find a fairly uncommon speaker in exactly the finish you want, at a price you like, from the only guy in a 500 mile radius selling a pair.:scratch2:

Texans.

Naptown, you know how hard headed us Texans are man, I just don't think you can make these as formal looking as some of the ones that come that way, newer ones I guess, with the grill on upper section and sides. Those look good in a 300k home, these I have not so much, even though perfect, but who knows maybe i'll change my mind when I get em finished out.

Doc, I used to think the same thing man, be patient and keep lookin, make sure all your bud's know you dig Klipsch, the more the better. I gave my buddy a finders fee even though he didn't mention it, working at the guitar center who knows what he'll come up with

Roost - I'd bet dollars to donuts that your cabinet maker friend could make these beautiful for comparatively low dollars - and even come up with an idea that emulates, or even outright copies, the grille-on-top look. Guess I'm thinking "bird in the hand".

Good cabinet guys can do amazing stuff....

Moray, mine have raw birch decorator on tag but look just like the pic, I guess the two woods look pretty close

This Birch pair of Cornwal are a good example of the fine color Birch can take on over the decades but it is slow to arrive. I expect that these were varnished as they have that warm amber glow that varnish imparts. Linseed oil (boiled) can develop a similar warmth which really brings out the dimensional quality of the grain patterns. Congratulations on having anything that looks this good. Best regards Moray James.

Attachments

• Klipsch Cornwall Birch Decorator with fine patina.jpg
    Klipsch Cornwall Birch Decorator with fine patina.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Roost, that's a pretty fantastic story! (fantastic as in good, not far fetched)

Double thumbs up for you and for your buddy for thinking of you!!

what would really be cool about this is if u get them all cleaned up and back to where they were new, sell and give the profit from'm to the Church.. :thmbsp:

Hbar

I have a pair of '77 Decorator Khorns that I bought used. They are painted black (by Klipsch or previous owner). I made tops for them from birch plywood but would eventually like to sand off the black paint and refinish the plywood in a stain.

they are fir under the black factory paint...

use a stripper with hi methylene chloride content and after sand smooth adjust your color with dilute coats of orange shellac (some call this red shellac) and you will have a very fine looking set of loudspeakers. Best regards Moray James.

Attachments

• Klipsch Klipschorn in Fir 1.jpg
    Klipsch Klipschorn in Fir 1.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Klipsch Klipschorn in Fir 2.jpg
    Klipsch Klipschorn in Fir 2.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 52
I have a pair of '77 Decorator Khorns that I bought used. They are painted black (by Klipsch or previous owner). I made tops for them from birch plywood but would eventually like to sand off the black paint and refinish the plywood in a stain.

I think I will have these finished out and just go from there, I like the unfinished birch look too, definetly wont paint them

I think I will have these finished out and just go from there, I like the unfinished birch look too, definetly wont paint them
Just curious what is the end of the story? Finished, unfinished,painted,stained,sold,for sale, replaced?

Back
Top Bottom