Klipschorn's sound muddy and low-fi

Pardon my being confused....so I'm just trying to clarify...

You were asked if they're tight in the corner and you responded as above.

Only reason I am asking is I've seen people back their Khorns up to the WALL (and not a corner) and think they're done.

So you are saying that they're tight up against the wall or the corner?

(yeah, my wife says I'm a bit OCD on word choice)

Nothing may be wrong but, something isn't right.
Oh golly, my mistake. Just a slip in my sense of diction; they're in the corners.

Few speakers can best a pair of properly set up, properly functioning k-horns with good electronics. Something is bad wrong.

badong crop.png

But seriously, will be curious as to what the OP finds is going on here.

I'm recalling that long before I ever had a place for my Khorns , they were stored in my garage. Even sitting out in the middle away from a corner and testing with a little Pioneer receiver they didn't sound horrible.

With the uprades the OP has on these they should sound fine, unless someone who had no clue what they were doing.... was doing the work.

View attachment 1446025

But seriously, will be curious as to what the OP finds is going on here.

I'm recalling that long before I ever had a place for my Khorns , they were stored in my garage. Even sitting out in the middle away from a corner and testing with a little Pioneer receiver they didn't sound horrible.

With the uprades the OP has on these they should sound fine, unless someone who had no clue what they were doing.... was doing the work.
I'm really hoping it's an easy fix, but I'm thinking you might be right about the "no clue what they were doing". I'm at school right now, but I'll take a look when I get home.

Coytee mentioned a picture of the room you have these in. I'd expand that to also include some pictures of the Klipschorns from the back including close ups of the crossovers and connections.

Waiting for those pics, not much to add at this point except that there will be a solution.

Minor point but perhaps what was meant by 'hifi' in the OP was more like 'high end'. :D Although many would still say the KHorns fit in that category too. :bigok:

Would tweeter and mid diaphragms even be interchangeable? i.e. is it even possible for someone to switch them when installing Crites diaphragms?

I’d kinda work inside out with this one. Start by making sure the drivers are the right ones and not blown out, and not something out of the RatShack/PartsExpress catalog or stolen out of an old rack system speaker, then make sure the crossover’s okay. If the crossover is brand-new, it’ll need some burn in time before it eases up. Check the cables to make sure they’re not wimpy or damaged or wired out of phase. Check your source material, too. Throw a different amp at it, even a generic AVR, just to see if it makes a different. These are best on tubes, or so I’ve heard. Play some different music on ‘em, they might not be all that great at what you like to listen to. I suppose these fare better with classical and Jazz than on hard rock or EDM. They could have also been sitting a while, and will probably need some loosening up by means of listening to them for a while. Ears might adjust to their sound, too. Finally, put ‘em in another room or switch their locations in the room, to rule out the room acoustics. These are big ol’ beasts and need LOTS of room to breathe. Cramming them into a bedroom or small living room would certainly make them sound like PA speakers.

If none of that that helps, perhaps they’re just not living up to the hype for you. I’ve never been blessed with hearing a set, but I’ve certainly heard my share of oft-praised speakers that left me cold (Bowers & Wilkins, Martin Logan, etc.) and a host of critically-panned speakers that sounded just lovely (I’ll stan Sansui). You mentioned not liking how percussion sounded, which is what I never liked about the Klipsch’s I’ve heard/owned (Reference series and the little $150 bookshelves). They all sounded kinda hollow and sucked out right in the midband where the crossover is. Some might like that sound, but it wasn’t for me.

If they still leave you cold, no harm in just selling them and going back to what you like. Klipschorns can definitely qualify as “Velben goods”, which are goods that are desired because they are expensive and expensive because they’re desired. Take a Rolls Royce, for example. No one REALLY wants a 20-foot hard-to-park land-yacht with a big gas-guzzling engine. They want to be driven in a long glamorous automobile and show off their ability to collect money, because it’s expensive. While Klipschorns are certainly extremely good speakers, a big part of that price tag is buying into their legend.

Last edited:
Klipschorns should sound excellent. Something is way wrong. Mud-dauber's nest in the squawker horn?

Funny you said that, I found a mud dauber nest in the midrange of my K-horns, it wasn't big enough to cause a problem but it was there.
even with poor placement mine sound great, are your crossovers wired properly? sounds like something is definitely wrong, they're sound is anything but muddy or low-fi.

First thing I would check is the polarity of the units. If that doesn't work change the polarity of one of the woofers on the crossover board. . Second: get a piece of cardboard and cover each mid horn and make sure the tweeter is working. Third: change the tap on the mid horn autoformers to tone it down 3 or 6 db. K-33 woofers* are easy to wipe out but I think you would know if one isn't working. If you have a hard room with no drapes or carpet and leather furniture, you maybe be right. Klipschorns are the wrong speaker for you. I wouldn't try Altec or JBL either... Back in the 70's I had the same issues with Korner horns you had most of the time. When we got our Rosewood pair at the retail store they sounded a little bight so I got out the spectrum analyzer and a pair of Urei 1/3 octave room equalizers. 1/10th octave filters spaced a 1/3 octave apart that subtract only. We tuned up the Rosewood Kornerhorns and were very satisfied at how great they sounded. It was the room . We combined them with two more walnut units in the classical disco hook up pushed by a single MC2205 and you have never heard better disco sound. They were flat from 70 hz to 3 Khz with a smooth 8 db roll off at 16.3 Khz. 70 HZ to 32 HZ was emphasized about 6db. The Bee Gees never sounded better. Sold a bunch of La Scala with MWM woofers for discos by auditioning Klipsch sound with those 4 Corner horns. Sadly the Rose woods sold far too soon. E Power Biggs sounded great on Pipe Organ, too, playing Bach.

*. I was using 4 La Scala one time out door for PA speakers with the split boxes. One of the entertainers that night dropped a ALG 451 condenser mic and the two DC 300 A's damaged all 4 woofers. A SINGLE MC 2200 pushing four MWM s would cause the spider wires to fatigue and fail powering 4 woofer boxes with the Power Guard turned on or about 130 watts per speaker. We use to order the boxes empty and cut down Altec woofers from 16 to 15 inches, They would Handle a 2255 channel each, 340 watts per channel, with no issue with more output sustained for years. Klipsch finally put a label saying to use a HP filter set at 35 hz on the MWM as I remember. But we used 32 HZ filter long before that.

Last edited:
Waiting for those pics, not much to add at this point except that there will be a solution.

Minor point but perhaps what was meant by 'hifi' in the OP was more like 'high end'. :D Although many would still say the KHorns fit in that category too. :bigok:

Would tweeter and mid diaphragms even be interchangeable? i.e. is it even possible for someone to switch them when installing Crites diaphragms?
The mid-range is stock I believe. The entire tweeter has been replaced though. Same with the woofers. The original drivers were included in the purchase.

First thing I would check is the polarity of the units. If that doesn't work change the polarity of one of the woofers on the crossover board. . Second: get a piece of cardboard and cover each mid horn and make sure the tweeter is working. Third: change the tap on the mid horn autoformers to tone it down 3 or 6 db. K-33 woofers* are easy to wipe out but I think you would know if one isn't working. If you have a hard room with no drapes or carpet and leather furniture, you maybe be right. Klipschorns are the wrong speaker for you. I wouldn't try Altec or JBL either... Back in the 70's I had the same issues with Korner horns you had most of the time. When we got our Rosewood pair at the retail store they sounded a little bight so I got out the spectrum analyzer and a pair of Urei 1/3 octave room equalizers. 1/10th octave filters spaced a 1/3 octave apart that subtract only. We tuned up the Rosewood Kornerhorns and were very satisfied at how great they sounded. It was the room . We combined them with two more walnut units in the classical disco hook up pushed by a single MC2205 and you have never heard better disco sound. They were flat from 70 hz to 3 Khz with a smooth 8 db roll off at 16.3 Khz. 70 HZ to 32 HZ was emphasized about 6db. The Bee Gees never sounded better. Sold a bunch of La Scala with MWM woofers for discos by auditioning Klipsch sound with those 4 Corner horns. Sadly the Rose woods sold far too soon. E Power Biggs sounded great on Pipe Organ, too, playing Bach.

*. I was using 4 La Scala one time out door for PA speakers with the split boxes. One of the entertainers that night dropped a ALG 451 condenser mic and the two DC 300 A's damaged all 4 woofers. A SINGLE MC 2200 pushing four MWM s would cause the spider wires to fatigue and fail powering 4 woofer boxes with the Power Guard turned on or about 130 watts per speaker. We use to order the boxes empty and cut down Altec woofers from 16 to 15 inches, They would Handle a 2255 channel each, 340 watts per channel, with no issue with more output sustained for years. Klipsch finally put a label saying to use a HP filter set at 35 hz on the MWM as I remember. But we used 32 HZ filter long before that.
So, unless the crossovers are not wired correctly, the speakers are wired correctly. I have checked and doubled checked. Because I can't easily remove the grille, I just removed the tweeter from the box, and sure enough, it sounds. At this point, I am certain the problems with these speakers cannot be boiled down to them just not being my cup of tea. None of the descriptions of their sound that I provided were exaggerations. They sound like they're broken.

Muddy and Klipschorn are generally not seen in the same sentence. If anything some find them too clear which is why pairing them with a tube amp is so popular. I would agree with others who believe the Crites mods were installed incorrectly.

What were the woofers and tweeters replaced with? Or did you say that already earlier.

If the original woofers are OK I wonder why they replaced them?

Did any of the original drivers or crossovers come with the speakers?

Maybe the previous owner screwed up installing the Crites stuff?

Sorry if there are repeats/poor angles. I can send more if you are looking for a particular shot.

Attachments

• 20190311_170143.jpg
    20190311_170143.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 20190311_170635.jpg
    20190311_170635.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 20190311_170629.jpg
    20190311_170629.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 20190311_170624.jpg
    20190311_170624.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 20190311_170158.jpg
    20190311_170158.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 20190311_170148.jpg
    20190311_170148.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 85
What were the woofers and tweeters replaced with? Or did you say that already earlier.

If the original woofers are OK I wonder why they replaced them?
Replacements are as follows

"Type AA Cap

Pair CT125 Tweeters

pait of 1" gaskets

Pair CW1526 Steel Frame woofers"

Looks like the Crites rebuilt crossovers are correct. I’ve got a set that look the same. Odd that you have an additional set of crossovers. I just sent mine to Bob, he rebuilt them and sent them back, versus buying another set. Maybe the original owner wanted the original untouched set also?

Back
Top Bottom