Know what I learned??

THOR

Fearless Prophet
Don't buy anything from a store before you check ebay first!

Except if you need it right away or it's too big and shipping kills the deal.

I always thought of ebay as a place to buy goo "used" stuff that wasn't made anymore I never likened it to a Wal-Mart but.........

Well I got some extra cash and wanted a few things I been needing for a while:

Another Luxman amp

Bouncy EQ

Common ebay items right?

Well I also needed:

MP3 player

Car stereo (to plug said MP3 player into)

A wireless router and PCMIA card (to set up a wireless network at home for my laptop)

Now I was prepared to go and buy the last 4 items around town and was shopping around, prices include tax:

Nomad 2 20gig MP3 Jukebox: $205

Car Stereo: (cheapest was $210 + $30 for wiring harness, but really wasn't what I wanted)

Wireless Network: Router $84 PCMIA card $84

Well by chance I am bored one night and decide to check ebay and I end up using a BIN on all 4 prices include shipping and all 4 were brand new in unopened, sealed original packaging all with full manufacturers warranties:

Nomad 2 20gig MP3 Jukebox $169.99

Car Stereo $89.97 (exactly the one I needed + $19 for wiring harness from crutchfield) so total $108.97

Wireless Network: Router $59.58 PCMIA card $48.50

What were my total savings?

Buy from stores in town: $613.00

Ebay: $387.04

Savings: $225.96! :eek: I saved 42% Is that like wow! or what?

I believe I shall do just about all of my xmas shopping on the ebay this year ;)

Yep, guys working out of their garage have less overhead. That's enough money to buy a lot of bouncy lights.

Rob as a gadget guy you would love it, plug my cable modem into it, plug my big PC into it then I have a little PCMIA card that goes into my laptop and VIOLA! I can be anywhere in the house and be on the network, using the net and all the big PC's files and printer, and if I add more computers to the house all I gotta do is put a wirleless NIC card in them and they can do the same thing, no wires to run and it seems just as fast to me as a wired conection I can't see any difference. And talk about plug and play these things were by for the two easiest things I ever added to a PC, totally plug and play, I had both PC's up and running and the gear installed and configured and on the network in like 15 mins.

Oh, it's one of THOSE things. Actually you don't really need to buy anything but the wireless card that goes into your laptop from what I hear. You take your laptop in the car and drive around to see how many other people's networks and computers you can get into.

Actually I AM a gadget guy but not even remotely into digital gagetry the way you are.

If your digital gloves contain a fuzzy lining are they then considered softwear or still hardware?

Hey Thor,
How fast is the network connection? Can you use all of your broadband capability? I am needing to network the house, but don't want to run a crapload of Network cable....the lazyness is getting the best of me ;)

I see no speed difference at all from just my big PC hooked up to the cable modem to it going to the wireless router, I used to use a regular PCMIA NIC (network interface card) card in my laptop with a wire going to a 2nd NIC in my PC to network and if anything with the wireless PCMIA card in my laptop it seems faster and using the internet on my laptop everything operates just as fast as the big PC, websites and dl's appear just as fast. It was also super easy to install and get running, truly plug and play!

Here's the specs on the boxes:

D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G 2.4GHz Wireless Notebook Card
Model: DWL-G650

Signal range up to 328' indoors, 1312' outdoors
Xtreme G networking (54g) allows accelerated data transfer speeds without losing compatibility with 802.11b networks
Up to 54 Mbps data transfer rates — almost 5 times that of standard 802.11b rates
2.4GHz wireless frequency (54g- and 802.11b-compliant)
Compatible with 802.11b networks (at 11 Mbps)

D-Link Systems AirPlus 2.4GHz Wireless Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch
Model: DI-614+

Signal range up to 328' indoors, 1312' outdoors
Boosts data transfer rates beyond the standard 11 Mbps over all networks, and reaches as fast as 22 Mbps with other AirPlus network devices

Just talked to my computer guru buddy, he's an IT guy for a local college, he said that both the wireless router and the wireless PCMIA card operate at faster speeds than my cable net does, so yes you can utilize your full cable bandwidth. I also mentioned the security issue to him and he reminded me that he told me to be sure to enable the encryption on the router to prevent others from getting into my network when we were talking Sat. night, well I forgot (cuz I was drunk ;) ) and I just went in and did it. Encryption in either 64-bit, 128-bit or 256-bit, basically means each has a longer key code. With 64-bit you make a 10 charater key (password basically) now anyone who tries to get on my network must have that 10 character key. So now my network is protected from outside use ;)

Hey Thor:

Howza bout getting yourself one of these which I think you'd find to be very useful - such as to make your voice heard over the blasting music whenever you throw those raucous parties that you're so fond of, you could shout instructions to the guests and do all sorts of fun things like that:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3048966442&category=294

Hey, for that matter- why not become a collector of bullhorns?, what an awesome hobby that could be, probably some nice vintage ones out there:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2754409560&category=37793

"OK EVERYONE- NOW LISTEN UP!!!!!!!!!! THE PARTY iS OVER, REPEAT- THE PARTY IS O-V-E-R, OVER. GO HOME Y'All, GO HOME!!!!!!!!!" :cry:

A new hobby is born!

BF,

Collecting bullhorns. :lmao:
That is such a great idea! I could see someone doing that. :D

Hi Rob:

Yes, only someone with a vivid imagination as me-self could come up with such an outlandish idea. Bullhorns, indeed. But its quite possible that THOR would love owning it and put it to good use at his wild parties "ALRIGHT FOLKS, LISTEN UP, THE BEER LINE FORMS RIGHT HERE SO LETS HAVE EVERYONE FORM AN ORDERLY LINE. DO AS I SAY AND I WONT HAVE TO SMACK YOU SILLY, THOR (GOD OF THUNDER) HAS SPOKEN"

B/F :D

Actually I had a bullhorn in my office at my old job, recreation coordinator at a local college, I used it for events we had to organize things like tug of wars and volletball tourneys. And yes I did bring it home a few times for parties but the GF and my guests were not too fond of the idea ;)

Router

I was in Best Buy today and picked up a Linksys router and card combo, cost about $19 more than your eBay deal but I wanted it now!

Now I don't have to leave AK even when I need to use the can :)

Now here's the "Best Buy" part:
I also found a CDRW for $54.95... with a $40.00 rebate so that's $15.00 bucks for a CD burner!!
Hope it works :rolleyes:

Eric

Last edited:
That's the thing if you can wait for it, I hate those rebate deals tho, they take six months or more to show up and I am still waiting for the rebate on my Acer CDRW I bought in 2000 ;)

Back
Top Bottom