Knows Any Transformers Repair Rewind Shop?

megasat16

I have the Altec 1570B power transformer with shorted primary. It's quite a large one so finding the exact one or something close it to is almost very hard without major modifications to the chassis.

Is there any good shop that will rewind / repair transformer? Appreciates for your input!

Have not had a repair, but Heyboer has wound a couple custom power transformers to my specs. Fair price and good work.

Thanks Guys! I thought heyboer only do new ones. I'll check with them to see if they'll rewind the broken one for me. If they do, I think it'll be a blessing!

Heyboer usually winds new one's based on the spec's of the old one. If the new one's size (endbell's) is the same as the old one you can put on the old endbells with the markings to make it look like the Altec. They did a FISHER MPX-100 Power Transformer and I used the old endbells.

Heyboer is great, they have wound quite a few transformers for me. The only criticism I have is cosmetic, the transformers always have to be stripped and painted after I get them cause they have that transformer ooze all over it. But if the transformer cannot be seen/has a cover, or you just don't mind it not being perfect, then your good to go!

The 1570's power trans is about as ugly a PT design as I have seen. The design uses a full bridge of 5R4's and so has the ends of the HV terminated with a 5V winding. I don't think it will cause them any issue. Heyboer re-wound a Peerless 20-20 S-265-Q for me a few times, and modified it for use in my E-Linear topology. They also did a 20-20 Plus S-271-S, which is a wee bit more complex in terms of interleaving...with a single example, I have yet to find something they can't do...:) and once they have it they can make as many as you want.
cheers

I have the Altec 1570B power transformer with shorted primary. It's quite a large one so finding the exact one or something close it to is almost very hard without major modifications to the chassis.

Is there any good shop that will rewind / repair transformer? Appreciates for your input!
Mercury Magnetics does high quality rewinds.

Thanks! I will keep TRS in mind!

I had TRS do a couple also.
Potted can type.
Gary did a nice job.

Thanks for the 1+ recom on TRS!

Heyboer is great, they have wound quite a few transformers for me. The only criticism I have is cosmetic, the transformers always have to be stripped and painted after I get them cause they have that transformer ooze all over it. But if the transformer cannot be seen/has a cover, or you just don't mind it not being perfect, then your good to go!

I am contacting Heyboer and see if they'll wind me a couple new PT for my 1570s. I think the cosmetics won't be a problem in my case and I just need the right EI size transformer to reuse the bell covers from the original dead PT.

The 1570's power trans is about as ugly a PT design as I have seen. The design uses a full bridge of 5R4's and so has the ends of the HV terminated with a 5V winding. I don't think it will cause them any issue. Heyboer re-wound a Peerless 20-20 S-265-Q for me a few times, and modified it for use in my E-Linear topology. They also did a 20-20 Plus S-271-S, which is a wee bit more complex in terms of interleaving...with a single example, I have yet to find something they can't do...:) and once they have it they can make as many as you want.
cheers

Thanks and I agree the PT in mine are ugly as Hell too. I guess getting a new one made instead rewinding an old one makes sense. Yes, I noticed the sec has the 5V winding imposed in the two HV coils of the SEC. I hope Heyboer can make the same thing for me. I thought Megnequest would be the guy to remake or rewind the peerless OPT but it's nice to know Heyboer are up to the snuff.

Mercury Magnetics does high quality rewinds.

Thanks!

I was going to suggest Mercury Magnetics also as they are right there in Chatsworth, SoCal. Call Sergio to see if he's already done one of those. He rewound a McIntosh MI200 output for me years ago, wasn't cheap but it's a fairly complicated xfmr, I know he had to order HV magwire for it. MI200s run between 900-1000VDC close to the 1570B's 930VDC.

Craig

Last edited:
I was going to suggest Mercury Magnetics also as they are right there in Chatsworth, SoCal. Call Sergio to see if he's already done one of those. He rewound a McIntosh MI200 output for me years ago, wasn't cheap but it's a fairly complicated xfmr, I know he had to order HV magwire for it. MI200s run between 900-1000VDC close to the 1570B's 930VDC.

Craig

Thanks Craig! I will keep Mercury in mind. What happened to the MI200 output? They are the ones without the low impedance winding or they just shorted too? I hope the MI200 are singing nicely with the new OPT in them.

A coupling capacitor went leaky causing an 8005 output to go full on and fried a primary winding.

Craig

Back
Top Bottom