Koss ESP-9 Electrostatic Headphones

ehoove

Old & New - Carpe Diem
Staff member
Super Mod
Subscriber
Bought these new in the 70's, but after umpteen moves misplaced the owner's manual. Any one have a clue where I can get one? I have the power supply, headphones, case and extension cable. I did mark the inputs and they sound exquisite, but would love to find a manual. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

Sorry I can't help with your manual. But want to second your thoughts on electrostatic headphones as I've run across so few threads on them on AK. I've recently started listening to Stax electrostatic 'EarSpeakers' and have not heard any dynamic headphones that even come close. They simply blow away the Grado 325 and Sennheiser 550 that I've tried in the past. AK member Brian is the only other member I've heard mention listening to electrostatic headphones and he agrees with our sentiments. Are simply terrific.

hi ehoove,
i dont know what the difference between the esp 9's and the 6's are but i have the manual for the 6's i can scan and send to you if you want it .
chris

I have the Stax 30s and love them. Only bad thing is they don't go mobile too well. But then I have Sennheisers for that.

radioactive said:
hi ehoove,
i dont know what the difference between the esp 9's and the 6's are but i have the manual for the 6's i can scan and send to you if you want it .
chris
Thanks Chris, That might be some help although to my recollection the ESP-6 were self energizing with a std headphone plug. The nines use a separate power supply and use a 5 prong plug. If I remember correctly.
Jim

I have the 9b that except for the grounding configuration is the same as the 9 but also have misplaced my manual and have not contacted Koss but it would no surprise me if they could supply a replacement. The 9b IMHO is THE headphone to own provided you like fully enclosed phones and can live with the hookup system and weight. I bought mine new and they were the last unit produced by Koss so have a bit of history behind them.

Electrostats are great headphones the reason you don't hear about 'em too much is for various reasons including price. I'd love to get a hold of some AKG K340 sometime.

Contacted Koss

Brian said:
I have the 9b that except for the grounding configuration is the same as the 9 but also have misplaced my manual and have not contacted Koss but it would no surprise me if they could supply a replacement. The 9b IMHO is THE headphone to own provided you like fully enclosed phones and can live with the hookup system and weight. I bought mine new and they were the last unit produced by Koss so have a bit of history behind them.
Brian,
Talked to a nice woman Ruby at Koss. No manuals available, but she did fins some paperwork on it and is mailing me copies. I can scan and forward to you if you want.
Jim

No Manual from Koss, just some ads etc.
Jim

I know of a pair at a thrift for 10 buck (9's) but dont have the box hook-up for them, just the phones.

"I know of a pair at a thrift for 10 buck (9's) but dont have the box hook-up for them, just the phones"

i have the box fopr a pr .do you think they are still there?if so i wouldnt mind getting them.trouble is im no where near them?.how bout grabbing them for me?

The 6 was a boat anchor but in some setups was far easier to use, especially with preamps that have self contained separate headphone amps. The way to use them was in a recliner supporting the head. The sound was very close but not quite as good as the 9s. I think the elements were the same as the 9s but did not meet the stingent spec of the 9.

Back
Top Bottom