Koss Pro 4/AA Questions...

stewey

Hi,

I just received a set of Koss Pro 4/AA's from eBay and have a few questions for those with a little more knowledge than me. First off, what are your thoughts on these headphones? I think they sound great, a little too bright maybe, but very nice bass.

Does anyone know what the knurled knob on the left cup is? At first I thought it was for volume, but it seems to serve no purpose. How puffy are the ear pad surrounds supposed to be? Mine seem a little deflated - is this normal? Is there anywhere to get replacement foam for inside of the cups? My foam is totally deteriorated.

Thanks,
Stew.

Although it's not the exact same model, I have a pair of Pro4AAA from around 1980 or so, still sound great to me- I rarely use them, mayhaps that's why the longevity.

Yes, the surround seems to be half deflated- that's to insure a proper seal and a more comfortable fit.

These phones were considered very good in their time, used by many for monitoring purposes. Some even used that worthless knurled knob to mount mics.

Just thought you'd like to know.

stewey,
The knurled knob is there threaded into an insert that is used with an optional wired pilot style microphone.:hdphones:

Last edited:
Thanks Guys...

So you all agree that deflated surrounds are normal? A fellow on vintage asylum seems to think they were originally filled with water that has now evaporated. That seems doubtful to me - how could it evaporate if they are sealed?

As for the new ones, I've heard they don't quite sound as nice as the originals.

Any idea where I could get new foam for inside the cups? By the way, does foam take the edge off the treble? Or is it just for comfort?

re: Any idea where I could get new foam for inside the cups?

I heard if you contact Koss directly that they'll replace them free of charge, who knows, sometimes if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is, but, I always start with the manufacturer!! :)

The original Pro 4's earpads were filled with a pnuematic oil that made them soft and squishy. Unfortunately the edge of the seal always eventually broke and they would go flat. The later models had foam inserts, which eventually rotted and they would go flat. You can send them to Koss and they will refurbish them to a like new condition. And yes, the knurled knob is for an optional microphone mount. These 'phones were popular with broadcasters that needed isolation from external noise and the convenience of not having to hold a microphone or more freedom to move around.

I always thought they sounded pretty nice.
Too damn heavy for my liking though.

Just my 2 cents.
Moon

All Pro4/AA's are under a lifetime warranty. I just sent in a pair, and it appears I was simply sent a new pair in return. I have no complaints with the sound of the new ones..and I do know what they are supposed to sound like since I've owned my pair since '76.

Really? Do Pro 4 AAAs have the same warranty? I have a set of these, and the plastic of the ear cushions has hardened.

I'll see about getting them refurbished...

Let's hope KOSS offers me the same great deal you guys received :)

Stew.

Back
Top Bottom