Koss Pro 4aa story

mixwiz

For the last few years, I built the system I wanted as a kid but couldn't afford (Holy moley stuff was spendy in the 70's). Marantz 2270, Advent Bullnose NLA, Dual cs5000. I thought a pair of pro 4aa would complete the system. Off to ebay I went. First pair I bought, on channel was bad. I wrote the guy and offered to send em back. He was cool and said 'just keep em' and he refunded my money. I found another pair from the mid 70's and bought those as well. Though the fit can best be described as 'migraine inducing' the sound was balanced and detailed.

I got curious and decided to take the first pair apart. The wires on the driver had broken and, not being a micro surgeon, gave up. While surfing the web, I found info that said they had a lifetime warranty. I texted Koss and the said to ship them with a check for 9 bucks return postage. Two weeks later, I received a brand new pair of Pro 4aas.

I learned that over the years they used 4 different drivers. While they had retained the medievil torture characteristics of the original 70's pair, the sound was comparatively dead and lifeless. So, what I learned is that Koss support is unreal and, if you can find a good pair, the early ones sound better than the current ones.

I am in the process of doing something similar but I actually bought the gear back in the early 70s when I was in the Army serving in Germany. I had replaced the system but by bit over the years but kept the bits that I am now restoring.

I have some Koss Pro 4 AAA and got new ear pads from them for 5 bucks shipping and did some of that micro surgery to establish better connections on both ends. The sound great. As for fit, I am missing the black checkered liner and they feel fine.

The only thing from my original system that I ever threw out were the Koss quad phones, which I now regret but they were a mess. I am looking for a reasonable replacement now.

BTW, my system is built around a Sansui QRX-7500 and about 16 reel to reel machines.

How did you get a set of pads that fit the Koss Pro 4 AAA? I have the Koss Pro 4 AAA PLUS same can design the replacement is only for the more oval shape of the Koss 4 AA, PRO 4AA?
I just refilled my pads as the Koss replacements are air filled now.
See my thread on the fill.

The D-shaped pads for the Pro 4 AAA do not show on their web site. You call their customer service line and the nice person on the other end will take your information, charge you $5, and send them to you. They are air-filled, not silicon filled but work quite nicely.

Back
Top Bottom