Koss Pro/4AAA Replacement Pads

BPFisch

Recently acquired a set of Koss Pro/4AAA headphones. The headphones work great and look like they're in almost mint condition other than the pads.

The ear pads and the padded head strap (the thin black strap attached to underside of the main head band) both need to be replaced. I know Koss has a lifetime warrenty on some of their products, but I've also heard that parts for the old Pro/4AAA may not be available anymore. I've got an email in with Koss and waiting for a reply, so we'll see.

In the mean time, has anyone found a source of replacement pads that work well for these? I've seen the leatherette pads offered a few places and the 90mm/3.5in pads would probably work okay, but definitely not a perfect fit.

I'm guessing the padded head strap will probably need to be something I make myself if Koss doesn't have a replacement. I haven't seen anything else like this in my searching so far.

Any help you all can provide is greatly appreciated.

Recently acquired a set of Koss Pro/4AAA headphones. The headphones work great and look like they're in almost mint condition other than the pads.

The ear pads and the padded head strap (the thin black strap attached to underside of the main head band) both need to be replaced. I know Koss has a lifetime warrenty on some of their products, but I've also heard that parts for the old Pro/4AAA may not be available anymore. I've got an email in with Koss and waiting for a reply, so we'll see.

In the mean time, has anyone found a source of replacement pads that work well for these? I've seen the leatherette pads offered a few places and the 90mm/3.5in pads would probably work okay, but definitely not a perfect fit.

I'm guessing the padded head strap will probably need to be something I make myself if Koss doesn't have a replacement. I haven't seen anything else like this in my searching so far.

Any help you all can provide is greatly appreciated.

They might offer to recondition them for you.
Found this testimonial earlier, they might offer you something
similar....

"Got a Hamfest handout thinking I would find another plastic clip to repair them...and never could find the part I needed. Called Koss (2006) and a kind lady said they won't sell parts but will recondition them for a flat fee of $10 if parts are still available. So I sent them in, few days later here they come, new clips, new plush earpieces, these phones are big and heavy but quite comfortable and sound great. Tomblike silence, no background noise, they are useful if you need to pick out a weak signal in a noisy environment or have to wear headphones for hours at a stretch! If you come across a pair, that $10 reconditioning service is a great deal."

That's what I've heard too. I've emailed them about it and I'll call if I get a response soon just to see what the situation is. It'd be great if they could re-furbish them for me, but I'm not holding my breath.

I guess if the ear pads and head strap pad are no longer available I'll just order one of the leatherette pads listed on that auction site or something similar and see how it works. I've got a plan for making the head strap that I think will work pretty well.

The ear pads should still be stocked- I think they're the same as or very similar to the Pro4AA, and I just received a set for mine. The head cushion may not be stocked, but you might be able to use some open-cell foam from a craft store or the like.

I am pretty sure the Pro4AA and the 4AAA use different ear pads. From what I can see in the pics of the Pro4AA it uses a oblong or oval shaped pad and the 4AAA is an odd shaped pad. But I think that a round pad would fit the shape of the 4AAA better than an oval shape because the ear cup is just barely taller than it is wide (almost 3.75" tall and 3.5" wide). So I think a 90mm/3.5in pad would work best if I have to resort to an "after market" option.

But that is just an assumption that I have from looking at pics of the Pro4AA and its ear cup shape.

You can find all of Koss's replacement pads on there web-site. They were kind enough to send me a set of pads to try on a Pickering Headphone I was looking to fix up. The set worked and I sent them the $5 bucks they normally charge. Great company!!! I hope you find ones that work for you. Mark

It took a while for Koss to respond to my email, but they finally got back to me last week. I'm sure if I had just called I would have gotten immediate service, but oh well.

Anyway, they do still have the pads for the older Pro 4AAA headphones. The pads are shaped different than the pads for any of their other phones and the normal round or oval shapes don't fit perfectly. So I ordered a pair and received them within a few days... They fit perfectly and it was a very minimal cost - less than a lunch at McDonald's.

Another happy Koss owner!

Oddly Koss do still have the ear cushions for the PRO4AAA and PRO4AAA PLUS, but they do not feature on their Accessories > Cushions page. Contact them by phone or email, but note that neither the 4AA nor 4AAT are the correct fit as the original PRO4AAA / PRO4AAA PLUS differed from other units as they have a D shaped cushion as opposed the the circular and oval shapes of others.

The new cushions are memory-foam filled rather than the gel/air mix of the originals. They are easy to fit, but best to ensure they're warm and using a hair-dryer helps with this. Ensure the flat section of the 'D' is at the front.

I have to say, that whilst a little slow in responding to emails, the Koss customer service is superb, Moreover, if they are unable (unwilling) to sell a spare part to you directly, they offer a complete refurbishment service and the headphones are returned as if brand new - good going as I've owned my Koss PRO4AAA since new in 1980 and the PRO4AAA PLUS since 1985.

What I would like to know if if anyone offers a service to replace the ¼" (6.35mm) stereo jack plug on my Koss PRO4AAA PLUS with a ⅛" (3.5mm) one? I used to be able to do this myself as well as re-soldering the lead to the drivers, but with middle age my eyesight has failed and I have arthritic fingers so, even with spectacles struggle to do such work myself. I don't wish the use a size adaptor as this adds more bulk.

The PRO 4AAA PLUS model was a modification of the legendary PRO4AAA, in that is deployed driver units which are both lighter and of a lower impedance than the base model such that they would be more suitable for use with portable digital media players such as the Sony Walkman D-50 (which I also have since buying new). It was somewhat remiss then of Koss not to fit the PRO4AAA with a ⅛" stereo jack plug as standard and include and up-size ¼" converter as Beyerdynamic do with their low impedance version of the DT-100. In both cases though, when using on a full blown hi-fi system, and adjusting for the change in impedance, the bass models in both the Koss and Beyerdynamic, sound noticeably better then the modified model.

Please ignore this post! Can't figure out how to delete it. The post below is a better description of the events.

I just received my replacement ear cushions for the Pro 4 AAA. I asked for a pair and they sent me a "pair" of 2-each, total of four. They were free, only paid shipping.
Also the ear cushions I got 3 weeks ago are must definitely filled with the gel, no foam. Call Koss back and ask what gives???
Remember Koss's are warranted for life.

Last edited:
I called (don’t email) Koss early November (be prepared for some hold time) and inquired if they still had replacement Ear Cushions for my original Pro 4 AAA headphones. I finally was transferred to the right person, who knew everything about the “Pro” series. I told her I needed a pair of the fluid filled Ear Cushions. She said I only needed to pay shipping, and since it was “Cyber” Monday shipping was only $6.00. Oh, and she sent me a PAIR of two-each cushions for a total of 4.
I got them in 7 days, and they are definitely 100% fluid/gel filled. No foam.
Chris

On April 17th, 2018 I called Koss and they sent me the $5 Pro/4AAA ear cushions. They are not liquid/gel filled. They have a see-through adhesive back so you can see that it's just foam and air inside. I asked if they were gel filled but the rep said they were foam cushions. They work pretty well, though and fit perfectly. I think it is a good replacement. That said, has anyone received gel filled recently? I would still prefer the original type cushions. Thanks, Warren

Last edited:
All this if you call Koss and getting pads.. Get's me wondering when someone will post the phone number you gents are calling.

Just refilled my old ones.
I was told Koss has these in stock just not listed on their site. Weird 3 pages and not on in site.

On Oct. 18, 2019 I ordered replacement cushions for my 4AAA, and actually received the gel version. I guess they have a mixed bag in stock.

Attachments

• 20191024_211518.jpg
    20191024_211518.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 35
I tried a month ago to order some replacement cushions for my PRO4AAA, and Koss couldn't provide any, they don't have them anymore :-(

anyone tried the foam ones from ebay, or managed to get some good replacement ?

I tried a month ago to order some replacement cushions for my PRO4AAA, and Koss couldn't provide any, they don't have them anymore :-(

anyone tried the foam ones from ebay, or managed to get some good replacement ?

That's surprising to hear, I just bought a set for $5, directly from Koss about 7 months ago. They are the correct D shape.

1aQGF8K.jpg

Might call back and ask again.

That's surprising to hear, I just bought a set for $5, directly from Koss about 7 months ago. They are the correct D shape.

1aQGF8K.jpg

Might call back and ask again.

Most interesting ! How did you contact Koss ? I have just sent them an e-mail via their customer support site.
I am in the U.K. I don't know if this will affect any possible availability to me ?

Back
Top Bottom