Koss PRO/4AAA sadness :(

burneyreid

AK Member
Picked up a pair for a few dollas on CL a while back .
Sad thing is now, that Koss no longer has or stocks the Ear Pads for these and the old ones were "popped" and flat,no longer puffy enough to seal around the ears..

Has anybody found something that will fill-in and be comfortable yet?
Hopefully they would be close to original as they had a kind of "D" shape that was a Koss idea back then.

Thanks for any help, these are kind of cool and sound pretty good still although not anything like the high end stuff nowadays.

Burney :)

Someone is selling the 4AAAs for $40. Maybe it is time for some sort of upgrade anyway.

I bought a pair of Pro4X's when they first came out. Worst cans ever. The ear pads went flat and stiff after a few days. Then not long after one of the drivers failed. Maybe they used the same cushions?

Yeah, I guess they're probably not gonna get fixed until I find something passable. Oh well, guy who sold 'em to me was a nice fella, firefighter. Always meet nice people on my CL purchases but never seem to get the stuff up to smack bringing them back to working order these days.

There has to be something out there that would fit. Hopefully someone else will chime in with a replacement.

Measure the cups, find a fit that way, and hold them on there with some kind of glue.

Thanks for the advice. D-shaped would be preferred though as any ovals / round examples would just be wonky looking. Maybe someone who has had the same model with the same problem will reply.
until then ...working with the Sennheisers. :)

So, for the cusions sold on the Koss site: would the pro4aaaT cusions fit on the Pro4aaa, and the Pro4aaT likewise fit the Pro4aa? Anybody treide these?

I found some foam that is reasonably stiff but soft to the touch. I pulled the flat ones off and used them as a rough template to mark the foam. I then used a small bladed Olfa and cut them out. They look a little hokey, but they are comfortable. I'm getting ready to do that same thing to my Stax Earspeakers.

Not to knock anybody but my experience with Koss since the 70s has been superlative. Pro 4AA all the way. EVERY complaint I ever had (i.e., an occasional signal drop) was covered by their lifetime warranty but was typically due to substandard interface between headphone jack and amp (we didn't have DeOxit back then). My later complaints (man, I was so quick to judge) about subtle distortion on one particular track were evaluated and turned out to be a flaw in the (CD) source material. I griped several times and Koss exchanged several Pro 4AAs at no charge (shipping free as well) They were beyond accommodating. Turns out that it was a flaw in the CD, and I was an uppity jerk.

Sad thing is now, that Koss no longer has or stocks the Ear Pads for these and the old ones were "popped" and flat,no longer puffy enough to seal around the ears..

Hopefully they would be close to original as they had a kind of "D" shape that was a Koss idea back then.

Thanks for any help, these are kind of cool and sound pretty good still although not anything like the high end stuff nowadays.

I was able to purchase replacement both Pro4/AA and Pro4/AAA ear pads fairly recently (within the last couple of months, early 2018). Call Koss support. The new Pro4/AA and Pro4/AAA (not T's) foams will fit the vintage versions, I've found. The ladies that answer the phones are real sweethearts and very happy to help, but you need to know what you're asking for.

Before I found out that I could get them for the Pro4/AA and Pro4/AAA's was that I carefully took off the existing ear pads, and with a single-edge razor or X-Acto knife made a slit that ran around the middle of the back of the ear pads so I could get into the inside (think of slicing into a donut in halfway between the hole and the outside) - be careful to only cut the back that will be hidden - don't cut through to the part that will sit against your ears.

Then I took some pieces of soft packing foam that had come with some disk drives or electronics, cut them to size and stuffed these into the back of the ear pads - not too full, you want comfort but it should not be bulging.

Lastly, I closed them up with pieces of electrical tape (though in retrospect I would have been better served by using some kind of non-creeping glue since electrical tape glue adheres pretty well but will allow some slide, particularly as the ear pads warm up from use. Every year or two I just replace the electrical tape with fresh and snug the sides of the incisions back close again.

I had tried this out first on some even older/rarer Koss K/135 headphones which have very weird rectangular ear-pads with a circular hole at the ear (mid 1970s - they have wood-grain vinyl embellishments). If you think the Pro4/AA's are painful, try K/135s' - but they sound almost as good as Pro4/AAs, maybe they have the same drivers?). Koss for sure no longer supports the K/135, I tried calling, so there are no ear pads to be had and pretty much nobody else made rectangular headphones. I may one day just make a set of "on the ear" foams for them, or jury rig something using the easily available HV1 donut foams plus some other foam strips to sit square against the head, and see whether they become comfortable and retain their presence. They're not worth throwing out, and I love a project.

My first-ever "serious" headphones were the Koss-built-for-Radio Shack Pro4/AA clones, they had the same fluid-filled ear pads, drivers as the Pro4/AA's, but were branded Radio Shack and housed in the Koss Phase 2 shells, having individual rotary volume controls. These were a great deal, and I couldn't hear the difference between mine and my buddy's genuine Pro4/AAs (which he traded me years later for some lighter Sennheisers). I remember once listening to some baroque-era church organ music, and the pedal notes were so visceral I could swear I could feel the air in my chest moving, just as if I were in the church itself). I still use them as my reference 'phones, though I do have some I would consider both more comfortable and more pleasant to listen to (Sony MD-7506's, Audio Technica ATH-909's, ATH-M50's, and I finally got a pair of genuine Koss Pro4/AAAs) they're still used. Another one absolutely worth listening to are the Koss Pro4/X Plus. Again, no ear pads available for these, but as a project headphone if you get a pair and bring them back to life you'll be delighted with the results.

My brother had a similar issue with his old Koss headphones. He contacted Koss customer service (this was within the past 6 months) and they sent him replacement cushions within a matter of 2 days for little or no cost. He couldn't believe it. Go to Koss Customer Service. In my opinion their track record is five stars. BTW the ear cushions on my 10-year-old Pro 4AA headset are like brand new. Best of luck to you.

FYI, the pads for Pro-4 series phones will also fit the ESP-9 earpieces. Koss phone and email support in my experience has also been excellent.

This is what i did, your Koss fluid just evaporated over time so my solution actually has worked.
Then a member told me to call Koss and ask for the PRO4aaa PLUS pads they apparently don't show them, but have them.
They are a small D shaped pad but Koss no longer fills them with the mystery liquid.
I did my science experiment and we will see how long it holds up.
I did a pair of PRO 4AA the same way.
I think next time i will put them in the freezer after filling them because the gel expands with heat you can seal the hole faster while the gel is stiff. Let the seal dry a couple days then gently glue them in place. Every time i see a pair of these cheap i grab them for the parts as the new speakers are not as good as the original ones they use in the Retro Repro's.

Check it out>>>> http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/in-quest-of-the-koss-ear-pad-refill.828498/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom