KP 990 and 9010 turntables

orangebuff

I did not know if this forum or the turntable forum would be best for this thread, so I guess it may be moved. I bought these turntables recently and pick them up tomorrow. I'm ashamed to admit I knew nothing of them or any other Kenwood turntables until I did some research. It seems the fact that they were never sold in the US makes them hard to come by, so many are not familiar with them, but they seem to be outstanding vintage turntables. I found a little bit of commentary on this site and another, but I'd still like to hear more discussion of how these compare to the best TTs of the 70s and 80s. I can have some photos later if anyone wants to see. I wish I could say the seller was asking 35 for the pair in great condition...one with orig. box, etc. And that I proceeded to talk him down to 20...with free delivery. The rest of you here seem to get everything for peanuts. Shrug. Am I the only one paying near market or market value?

So, please share any thoughts on these especially regarding comparisons to the better Denon, Thorens, Linn, Sansui TTs from that era. Also, many do not know that these were the semi auto variety that lift the arm and shut off at the end of sides...very important to me. I find myself always late to get back to flip the LP on my manual tables.

Hi Orangebuff, ,
Congratulations, they are wonderful turntables. You can find some information about them here in Audiokarma. But I don't understand, you got them in $20??? If so, you stole them!!!!:banana::banana::banana:
By the way, if better if you move this thread to Turntables Forum and don't forget:needpics:

Great tables, a similar model would be the KP1100, I often recommend these along with the KD770D. I have several tables from different manufacturers but currently running Kenwood's.

Main deck is the KD500 with a Grace G707 arm.
20190212_142852.jpg

The media rm table KD770D
2a892361ca9597edcb6a3125d08d6b53.jpg
maxresdefault (11).jpg

I did not know if this forum or the turntable forum would be best for this thread, so I guess it may be moved. I bought these turntables recently and pick them up tomorrow. I'm ashamed to admit I knew nothing of them or any other Kenwood turntables until I did some research. It seems the fact that they were never sold in the US makes them hard to come by, so many are not familiar with them, but they seem to be outstanding vintage turntables. I found a little bit of commentary on this site and another, but I'd still like to hear more discussion of how these compare to the best TTs of the 70s and 80s. I can have some photos later if anyone wants to see. I wish I could say the seller was asking 35 for the pair in great condition...one with orig. box, etc. And that I proceeded to talk him down to 20...with free delivery. The rest of you here seem to get everything for peanuts. Shrug. Am I the only one paying near market or market value?

So, please share any thoughts on these especially regarding comparisons to the better Denon, Thorens, Linn, Sansui TTs from that era. Also, many do not know that these were the semi auto variety that lift the arm and shut off at the end of sides...very important to me. I find myself always late to get back to flip the LP on my manual tables.
Orangebuff, I forgot to mention you if they are Japanese version (100 volt) you need a step up transformer to use it here in USA.

Orangebuff, I forgot to mention you, if they are Japanese version (100 volt) you need a step up transformer to use it here in USA.

IMG_2836.jpeg

No...I paid over 1k for the pair. I was commenting on how so many here seem to get great items for peanuts. And they have already been converted to U.S. current. But you are right, otherwise I would have needed a transformer.

Those are great looking TTs...love the 770.

Here are some photos of both. The one head shell is maybe the worst I've ever seen. That will be headed for the trash. Bonus points for anyone who knows the cartridge shown. I got it on some old Dual years ago...big clunky thing...forget the model, but it sounds very good for a dinosaur or otherwise.

Attachments

• IMG_2837.jpeg
    IMG_2837.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2838.jpeg
    IMG_2838.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2839.jpeg
    IMG_2839.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2839.jpeg
    IMG_2839.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2841.jpeg
    IMG_2841.jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2842.jpeg
    IMG_2842.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2843.jpeg
    IMG_2843.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2844.jpeg
    IMG_2844.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Just added photos of the kp 990 and kp 9010. There is barely any difference. Both are beautiful, aesthetically, and they play very well. It's nice to have the arm raise and power off at the end of the side. Now I have to decide which two of these four to keep: Kenwood kp 990, Kenwood kp 9010, Sansui sr 929, Sansui sr 636.

Sorry about that awful gold head shell that was on it when I bought it. It also came with a built-in hum. It's available for free if anyone has a TT that looks like one of those cars from the 90s with black paint and tons of plastic gold trim all over...along with one of those car alarms that said "STAND BACK. PROTECTED BY VIPER." Ah memories.

Last edited:
Two beautiful tables, keep whatever table sounds the best.

Some run the top tier Kennys naked, shows the kind of engineering Kenwood was putting into their top tier tables.

958653-ultra-rare-kenwoodseiko-kp1100-and-reson-reca-mm-cartridge.jpg
kenwood-kd-990-naked (1).jpg

And then there's the legendary L07D
images (10).jpeg

I'm going to have a tough time letting the Kenwoods go with the semi auto function. The Sansuis are great tables, but I don't like always getting up and running to life the arm at the end. That's an interesting look with not plinth, but the plinths are beautiful on these two. That's one of the best parts if you're a visual type.

I'm going to have a tough time letting the Kenwoods go with the semi auto function. The Sansuis are great tables, but I don't like always getting up and running to life the arm at the end. That's an interesting look with not plinth, but the plinths are beautiful on these two. That's one of the best parts if you're a visual type.

I agree, I would never take off the beautiful plinth.

Back
Top Bottom