1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

KR-7400 with a constant hum in both channels

Discussion in 'Kenwood-Trio/Kensonic-Accuphase' started by nickhead, Dec 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. gort69

gort69 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Test Qk1 (2sc1419) I have seen lots of those fail shorted

Please register to disable this ad.

2. nickhead

nickhead Member

Yep. Lots of harsh language :) The rectifiers were good when I started, now I seem to have a problem with Dk1 and Dk3. Any idea what they can be replaced with?

3. robyrony

robyrony New Member

Hello, I have the same receiver and it is a bit difficult to work on it only because the traces are so easy to lift from the board and break. I've replaced the two 330 ohms resistors from the power supply board with a 5 watt type, but I should have put the 25 watt (wal mount) instead because they're still getting hot. On the power amp board I've removed all the old solder and put new one. The old solder was questionable and I didn't want to take any chances. It's a lovely receiver, you just have to give it a little attention. At the end it will please your ears.

nickhead likes this.
  4. nickhead

nickhead Member

Has anyone replaced the diodes in these s-5151(r) cases before? It looks like they can be replaced. Thoughts?

5. rjsalvi

rjsalvi Well-Known Member

6. nickhead

nickhead Member

rjsalvi,

Mine look nothing like that. They are just 2 diodes in a metal frame (see image)

Attached Files:

7. rjsalvi

rjsalvi Well-Known Member

The previous link I'd posted, is a drop in replacement ... lead spacing being the only question. Alternately, you could drop a couple pairs of these in there. The metal frame on the factory unit is a heat sink and the Mouser substitutes are so much overkill, you won't need a heat sink.

Having said all that, you've tested the diodes out of the board and have a short? (one is oriented anode to heat sink, the other, cathode to HS)

8. nickhead

nickhead Member

I just put the PS back together. I removed every component and tested them. They are all good. I think my meter batteries were dying last night and it was giving me bad readings. Anyway, the regulators are both good, the other diodes are good, the transistor is good. Everything. On the plus side I got to really clean up the solder and traces on the board and it's in much better shape now. I'm still waiting for an order to come in with the rest of the caps, but what's in there now isn't causing this issue. I got stuck on the PS board because that's where I was working. I'm pretty confident the short isn't in the PS. Now to just find it...

9. nickhead

nickhead Member

Well that was easy. Qe24 is shorted every way possible and Qe22 is shorted E<-->C. Looks like I'm replacing the outputs. Anyone have any tips on getting at them? Does the whole heatsink assembly have to be removed?

10. hopjohn

hopjohn Silver Face Subscriber

+1 600V 30A FREDs More than suitable, and a simple option for replacement. These original packages rarely fail though.

11. nickhead

nickhead Member

They are removed easily by moving the main amp board out of the way.