KR-9050

CrtclEuphony

here, but not there
Sitting around drinking coffee Sunday morning, I saw a CL add for a Kenwood KR-9050 for $500 in its original box. After looking at it on the Walmart parking lot I could tell this was a "well loved" receiver. Completely caked in pet hair and -possibly- cigarette tar on the inside. Left channel is out. I offered $150 and went home with it. The outside is in very good shape, so considering its size, rarity and cosmetic condition, I think its a good rebuild candidate. At least a good cleaning.

What can anyone tell me about this? I know very little about Kennys, outside of my KR-6600 that does garage duty. I know its a 200 wpc (BEAST), but how is the tuner? Kenny made some good ones I know, is this one good?
E72AB9D5-FD16-4739-BDE9-66C15B7427D8.jpg

342229AE-04B3-44EF-A75F-8EB23F60BC3B.jpg

93A0064C-5AF6-49FB-B5DB-0149DD066F81.jpg

93A0064C-5AF6-49FB-B5DB-0149DD066F81.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't seen one but I'd search this forum for 9050 and see what others that have done to restored them.

I found this quickly http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/restoring-a-kenwood-kr-9050.808472/

this one looks good too: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-kenwood-kr-9050-is-exposed.234952/

hifi engine has the service manual.

I'm waiting for parts on a little KA 5700 with a channel out. DBT will help test without causing more damage.

A bad output could be blown outputs to dirty switches. Mine had blown outputs.

Keep us posted!

Last edited:
Meow.

That showed up on the CL down here. "Probably never used" Still a great snag.

Meow.

That showed up on the CL down here. "Probably never used" Still a great snag.

yup. that's the one. I know the original owner as it turns out, but it was his grandson selling it. All of 19 yrs old(ish). He thought since it had the box, it wasn't used much. But oooo how it was used and loved. I showed how the left channel didnt work in my headphones (my Nissan has a 120 v converter) and all the muck inside and explained that it needed a lot of work. I took the plunge at $150 instead.

As to the tuner, Kenwood/Trio is a major ametuer radio manufacturer and I doubt that with all the quality they built in the way of tuners, receivers and Ham radio equipment that the 9050 would be stuck with a crappy tuner. It should be excellent when properly set up. Better than almost all other receivers.

Last edited:
Of all the large receivers I've owned, they're all gone except my 9050. It's a great unit, and the tuner is excellent.

I don't know where the headphones are in the circuit, but have you checked the pre out/in jumpers? I've lost count of how many receivers I've 'fixed' just by cleaning those jumpers, or installing them because they're missing.

bs

Kenwood made excellent tuners, especially in their TOTL models. The tuner in my KR-9600 has excellent sensitivity. Back in the late 70’s I won a radio station contest with it for receiving their station from the furthest distance away (approximately 200 miles). The prize was the #1 album at the time, Donna Summer’s “Live and More”.

Of all the large receivers I've owned, they're all gone except my 9050. It's a great unit, and the tuner is excellent.

I don't know where the headphones are in the circuit, but have you checked the pre out/in jumpers? I've lost count of how many receivers I've 'fixed' just by cleaning those jumpers, or installing them because they're missing.

bs

I went on vacation for a week so I havent had time to mess with it, but will try this. Thanks.

so. I got impatient, deoxit'd and tore the cover off and discovered a few things. AUX works. Both phonos work. its loud. my house has not burned down but there are issues. nooooooo tuner. I think I placed that problem down to a fuse thats blown. I am going to try a new fuse tomorrow.

more to come with pictures. is there a faster way to post pics w/o photobucket? its such a long arm way to do this.

blhagstrom this is probably coming your way :)

Kenwood made excellent tuners, especially in their TOTL models. The tuner in my KR-9600 has excellent sensitivity. Back in the late 70’s I won a radio station contest with it for receiving their station from the furthest distance away (approximately 200 miles). The prize was the #1 album at the time, Donna Summer’s “Live and More”.

but,,,,do you still have that album???

I just did a complete recap of a 9050, and made a really cool replacement lamphousing for the panel lamps. Customer loved it and gave me another 9050 and a 6050. They are easy to work on. If you he any specific questions try me. Starting the 6050 tomorrow.

I just did a complete recap of a 9050, and made a really cool replacement lamphousing for the panel lamps. Customer loved it and gave me another 9050 and a 6050. They are easy to work on. If you he any specific questions try me. Starting the 6050 tomorrow.

Do you by chance have a list of the components changed by board? Filter caps used, and relays used? Troublesome transistors used that may have been changed.

62865362829__0E609A72-8357-4D35-BD0B-3D6B27D34E9C.JPG

Last post was over 2 yrs ago. Nice looking 9050 by the way. I have one also that's nearly mint.

Thanks, I suspected a lot of leg work has already been done on this unit and I was hoping to gain access to it. I have no problem reading schematics and picking components but if there is some work already out there I say why recreate the wheel.? It is really clean. from back to front and looking on the inside it looks 100 percent original. which scares me. I know there are/were issues with the power switch on the kr-9600. many add a triac/relay to limit the current spikes and the arcing on the points. I suspect you made these changes to the 9050. Unless there is a soft start circuit in this model. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom