kr 9400 in protect

kr9400

All caps are in correctly. Does the cap have to be axial? It would fit much better obviously . Does it work differently? I will check for shorted traces , other than that any ideas ? I have the amp boards out. Keep the ideas coming. Thanks

No, the cap does not have to be axial, but it sure fits better.

About the only way I see R1 burning up is if C4 is backwards (Note: It's not uncommon for there to be errors on the PC board silkscreen. Not saying that's the case here, but it's something that needs to be verified). And you apparently have yet to replace C6.

kr 9400

Thanks Glen will evaluate further. The schematic is tough to read, wanting to verify cap orientation in schematic with whats on actual board itself. Thanks again

kr 9400

C4 is in correct according to silkscreen on board and schematic. I need a better schematic hard to read although downloaded from HI fi engines. What else should I check? thanks

kr 9400

Is there anyone in Alabama that you can refer me to? The schematic I have access to is for the most part very legible, except for the power supply schematic. Does anyone have a pic of the wiring to the back of the power supply board? Due to the multiple bending of the board some of the wires have broken off and I want to be sure they are soldered back in the right place. C17 schematic for the power supply shows a 22uf 25v cap, the one removed was a 22uf 35volt. Could this have caused the resistors to fry? I will replace the resistors . The only thing I have done is replace caps and feel they are installed and oriented correctly. I appreciate all who have helped me and thank you all.

i can read the diagram from hi-fi engine ok at 50 percent enlargement ..22 inch screen with x 1.5 reading glasses ... would be buggered without the glasses mind .
tell us the wire pin numbers and anything else you are unsure about .
are you sure c4 plus is going to r1 ?

kr 9400

Thanks Pete for the help. Yes C4 + is going to R1. R3 and R5 are also fried. Could 1 of the main caps gotten shorted because of the way I had to modify C3? I will attach a pic of the wires broken, thanks

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 38
the blue wire with 2 wires inside looks like a signal wire .
will look some later ..
looks like a burned trace pic 2 far right just above the screw head .
also pic 3 far left looks lik a solder pad came off somewhere and landed second row of solder pads at third pin up

kr 9400

Pete thanks, I did notice the burned trace as you have pointed out. Wow didn't see before, have been looking elsewhere for an issue. This trace goes from 1 leg of the new relay I put in and the + leg of C3 the 2200uf 35 volt cap. Not sure if this makes a difference but due to the way I had to install this cap C3, I had to solder additional length of wire to the negative lead of that cap to reach the solder pad. I can't see the lifted solder pad in the other pic you have described , I obviously am missing some things. What would cause the trace to burn like that? May be also caused the fried resistors. Thanks for your observations.

are there 2 traces burnt next to the screw ? and if that's a transistor just below the traces what transistor is it and which way round is it ?
i am trying to figure out what burnt the traces and resistors .
what parts have been swapped altogether ?
will read through the whole thread after dinner .

kr 9400

I have been doing some investigating and will take a few pics, not sure I will get to it this evening. Ther are other areas of trace overheating areas. Thanks for the help.

kr 9400

A pic or two to help ID damage and hopefully shed some light on whats going on. Some of the traces got so hot they lifted from the board. Yes next to the screw is a transistor as you can see at least 3 traces lifted and into. Thanks for the help

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 29
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 32
ck8 is a suspect right now ..
will try look some more later
did you change ck6 ? is it right way round ?

Last edited:
Just recapped the power supply and wanted to see if this would bring it out of protection. Turned on then smoke rising from near main caps. I turned it off and cannot determine where it came from and want some advice before I proceed. Ther only work I performed in this area was to flatten the leads of one of the main caps. The new 35volt 2200uf cap leads protruded from 1 end. The old cap had a lead protruding from each end, so I had to do a little improvising. I lowered the main cap leads to give the 35v cap room so I could lower the power supply board. Need advice, thanks for any replys

this pic ..2 caps in the middle i see one as c4 not sure of the other ..are they in correctly ? board markings says maybe not size wise .
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=438190&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1372016818

kr 9400

The board I am working on is the power supply board, not amp board. Yes the caps are oriented correctly.

JHC! WTF happened here? Popped resistors, lifted traces, wire-wraps broken...damn!

Is there a way that some part on this board shorted to the main power supply caps? Is Ck3 an issue and need to be an axial cap?

In any event, a simple cap-swapping job is now a major repair.

kr 9400

Yes this cap job has turned out to be much destruction that I may have caused. I am aware and will take responsibility for it. I wished it had not happened. I now need some direction and needless to say don't want to make things worse. It is embarrassing. If what I am suggesting doing is not what you would do say so and elaborate. I will order an axial cap, new resistors and locate solder where the broken wires belong. I have repaired the broken traces. Thanks for the help

make sure all new caps are in the correct way and check all transistors .. qk1 might not have been happy with all that current .

Back
Top Bottom