KR-9600 issues

HI-FI GUY

Hello to all on this fine monday!!!
Quick question for all you kenwood fans,my KR-9600 was playing fine over the weekend and all of a sudden just stopped working.It powers up and all lights work but i don't hear the relay making any noise (no more click) when powered, any thoughts on this or do you think the relay just needs to be replaced??? Oh and where could i get one ?? Thanks in advance for your time.

The least likely culprit is the relay. Apparently the amplifier offset has gone too far from zero, perhaps due to a failed IC in the power amplifier.

Depending on your capabilities, you could make some measurements and determine what has failed, or have someone do it.

I really don't know much about how to test his receiver but i am very interested to know how if any one would be willing to explain it to me ??
I actually took radio & tv repair in highschool but DAMN!!! that was soooooo long ago that i lost most of what i've learned.I have taken the unit apart before and would really like to dig right in with some pointers!!! Anyone?
Thanks in advance for any and all help would be appreciated.

Some of this may seem trivial but I do not know your ecpertise.

Make sure speakers are not shorted
or wires are not shorted that go to the speakers.

IF ... you have access to a multimeter or voltmeter that can measure at least 100 Volts dc then :::

Do this. Remove power cord. Remove the speaker wires also.
1. Remove the bottom cover. You'll find on the left side and right side are large heat sinks with pc boards attached/in front of them. (These are the output AMP boards) They are the same boards except mounted in opposite directions.

2. Carefully plug in unit(make sure power is of.) Then make sure volume is all the way down, and turn it on.

3. If relay does not come on measure terminal 7 on the left channel bottom. It should have and orange wire attached to a terminal post.
4. It should read 0 volts or very close to it.
5. the same is true for the other side, terminal I believe the wire should be a blue one. These voltages should be at 0 volts.
If one of them is way off, that channel has a problem, it may be the circuit or the power pack which usually only goes bad when driven with a guitar or some very load source that sends the amp into saturation.

John

I have a multi meter at home but not sure how high the dc selection on it will read too but i'll check it out tonight.I was actually hanging out in the man cave with my daughters watching sponge bob(audio running thru 9600) the volume was pretty low considiring how i usually run this receiver(no kids around) and i heard a weird noise and looked at the kenwood and all was still running but without any sound.I mean Nothing at all coming from the speakers not even a hiss.Thanks for the info and i'll hopefully be heading in the right direction soon.....
Thanks Sicman & Bob91343.

Sorry for not giving the full details... I'm a lab/R&D person at work and alot of stuff is left out cause I assume to much. Need to c ... a .. . l ... m ... down.
I'm not a tech writer yeah that's it. Hope that helps... Thanks Bub... for your extra comments...

John

generally speaking, are these instructions and the range of "0" generally true for testing all receivers?

No. This receiver uses proprietary parts. I believe John's intent was to show how to check the condition of the left and right amp modules. However, if you wanted to check for DC offset at the speaker terminals, that value should be adjusted in all units, as close to zero as possible. In this model, and some other Kenwoods, the DC offset isn't adjustable anyway. Look here for procedures...

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5634

Last edited:
Make sure the speakers or speaker wires are not an issue...disconnect them. If it still will not come out of protection, the DC voltages need to be checked coming from the regulated supply.
The power supply 'B' board has some power resistors on it that get hot enough to desolder themselves, and is a common source of trouble. The power supply 'B' board drawn below is the Rev. B, but should match what you have.

Copy and save this schematic...I will not leave it up for long.

kenwood_kdc_138.jpg

Last edited:
I may have jumped the gun a little but Glen has a point, the amp check will point to a channel problem although the problem may be power supply related.

The entire power amplifier section is powered directly from the main filter caps (+/-67V), so if Pin 5 of the power IC (or Pin 6 of the amp board) reads something other than a few millivolts and the supply voltages to the board are OK, then the fault lies on the board and nowhere else. But, if the +34V supply is compromised, the relay will not engage.

I would like to THANK everyone on AK for there input !!!! it's so nice to know that people are willing to take the time to help out others in need.I only hope that in the future i will be able to return the favor.
A special thanks to EchoWars for the schematic that will prove to be a huge help.

Back
Top Bottom