kr-v127r...intermittent problem

zagnutty

This is my main music amp, running Infinity IL40 towers.

However, it has an intermittent issue. At times, the right channel is quiet and scratchy, until the volume is turned up to loud (never same amount), and then it comes on and sounds fine.

I opened it up, cleaned it best I could, didnt see any bulging caps or burned resistors. Any idea what it may be? Input doesnt matter, still does it.

With a baby on the way, I cant really afford to replace it, even if it is an ugly, all push button, unit from an era of mostly garbage, consumer oriented units. It has some nice features, good power, and sounds pretty darn good! I do however, need to check the DC offset.

Thanks
Aaron

Some cold solder joints? Maybe dirty potentiometers or switches?

No pot on this unit...its all push button. I havent checked the solder joints, but I suppose that could be a culprit.

Better description....
Turn unit on. Sometimes the right channel is very quiet and scratchy/distorted sounding. Turn volume way up, and that channel suddenly "comes on". Output at this point then functions as it should, and matches the left channel. Can turn unit back down, problem doesnt return until powered off and back on. Sometimes immediately, sometimes a few days later.

I have a feeling it has something to do with the pre-amp stage not powering the final output stage properly. But not sure.

I would check solder joints/switches/plug-unplug all the removable wires/capacitors (even if they appear to be in order).

Also (though it's probably not the fault in this case) you could check the PCBs for potentiometers used for adjusting various currents (like the idle one for example). In some cases they can oxidize.

I would check solder joints/switches/plug-unplug all the removable wires/capacitors (even if they appear to be in order).

Also (though it's probably not the fault in this case) you could check the PCBs for potentiometers used for adjusting various currents (like the idle one for example). In some cases they can oxidize.

Thanks bmw. I feared I might have to give a detailed go through. Now I just need to find the time. I hate to let it go, but did intend in replacing it soon anyways. Maybe Ill just put it up for sale, making note of the problem, to help fund the new amp. As I really dont have the time for a good teardown.

Aarin

Back
Top Bottom