Krell FPB 600... HOLY HELL!

Discussion in 'Solid State' started by Infinity!, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Infinity!

Infinity! AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hey guys, just wanted to share some pictures of what I just bought yesterday. I know many of you were wondering what my impressions are with how the Krell FPB 600 compares to my Adcom 565's. Let me just say that there is literally no comparison on how they sound. The krell blows the Adcoms out of the water in every single way and in huge margins!!

I knew the bass was going to better, but I never thought my speakers could get any lower, louder, deeper, and much more controlled. I never thought the 10" woofers in my Infinity RS IIb's could sound so full, but they do now. The extension and clarity that the krell added was unbelievable. I wish I could write more about the bass improvement, but I am still in shock at how much I was missing.

The mids and highs are what I was worried about most before purchasing the krell. However, after listening to it for quite a few hours yesterday (with my 2 friends and brother who all concur), we do not understand how anyone could describe the sound of krell amplifiers as harsh or bright!? The highs and mids became much more lush and "tube like". I was able to hear so much more in my music than I EVER did with my Adcoms. The separation and dynamics within the Krell are outstanding and to think that the slight harshness that I was experiencing with the Adcoms was all due to distortion! The more I upgrade components within my system (especially interconnects), the more I realize that distortion IS the root cause for listening fatigue and the sense of "harshness" that we hear.

Although spending $3,499 on one single audio component took everything in me to finally pull the trigger, I have absolutely 0% buyers remores and persuade my fellow AKer's to never skimp on your amplifiers. I used to be one of the people that thought that all amps should sound the same, and although my Adcoms made me retract that thought, this Krell has made me even more angry at myself for once believing this. lol But this is the the process of reaching Audio Nirvana... one step at a time. That's why I love this hobby so very much.

20181124_115142.jpg 20181124_115153.jpg 20181124_115219.jpg 20181124_115248.jpg
    (The last picture was from a fortune cookie from Panda Express. I got it yesterday after I bought my amp... it was quite fitting ;))

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow Waiting for Vintage Gear from this century Subscriber

Seems those statements speak volumes about all ss amps sounding the same and whether one gets better sound for more money. The good stuff costs money for a reason and the buyer gets the benefit of the better sound. not that the stuff most of us have doesn't sound good.

3. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow Waiting for Vintage Gear from this century Subscriber

Was this group the folks you grabbed to help you haul that thing inside?

ryuuoh, Infinity! and Pio1980 like this.
  4. musicman95

musicman95 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I am not sure that "tube like" would be exactly my description but it was warmer and the soundstage was larger but it was missing some of the harmonic character. I think the best differences were macro-dynamics and the fullness of the mid/upper bass, even on the EMIMs the music seemed tangible. The treble was extended and crisp but defiantly not fatiguing, I agree with Infinity! that distortion must have been the culprit of any prior heard listening fatigue. The deference was none the less astounding, and I think completely justifies the price. I would also like to add that the NAD he is using with this is VERY warm, I am curious what this will sound like when we try a few different preamps.

5. Binkman

Binkman AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well not to pop your joy,, and if you're satisfied for 'l'argent$' I'm happy for you.

Buutt LOL... To replicate what I have would cost in sound I like for a less but still out of reach for many. I'm glad I bought what I have and kept the "sound". :D

6. Dingman

Dingman Do you know where your towel is? Subscriber

Wow, Congrats on that! This is an amp to be buried with, eh?
    Man, oh man. That's some power right there.

Infinity! likes this.

7. Route 66

Route 66 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Congrats Man, that monster is 180 Lbs. of muscle!

ryuuoh and Infinity! like this.
  8. Sound Dragon

Sound Dragon Yawns and sets his couch on fire! Subscriber

Welcome to the club bud. I have been saying much of the same stuff and completely agree with you.

Infinity! likes this.
  9. soundmig

soundmig AK Subscriber Subscriber

FB600 - great amp. Had one for a while ... and it's truly a great amp.

Infinity! likes this.
  10. goodolpg

goodolpg Just an old fart trying to help.

Congrats on the Krell. That's one impressive looking piece.
    What are you currently using for interconnects?

11. Infinity!

Infinity! AK Subscriber Subscriber

All audioquest cables.

Speaker Cables: Castle Rocks

Interconnects: Yukons (IIb EQ to amp), Victorias (preamp to IIb EQ and DAC to preamp)

USB : Coffee USB

Power Cable: NRG 2 (For the Schiit DAC)

Would love to experiment with the power cables for the Krell, but that will have to wait a while! lol

goodolpg likes this.

12. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

I think it’s safe to say that you now own a very fine amplifier capable of driving nearly any speakers you could connect to it. Well done sir!

13. powerman

powerman AK Subscriber Subscriber

Great Amp, mate it with a Krell HRC-HR and hear the next vail disappear. Love my Krell's too

Infinity! likes this.
  14. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

I know how you feel, but it's to bad naysayers never understand what high quality clean big power does to speakers even at low volumes. Let them have their sub 100 watt amps thinking the first watt is the most important.

You now know the difference in headroom and amp speed to control the speakers with any transient peaks feeding them.

Congrats

quiet, Infinity!, Dazaa and 3 others like this.
  15. mad shadows

mad shadows Super Member

Nice beast :D
    I guess the next step will be to replace the NAD pre-amp.

Infinity! likes this.
  16. restorer-john

restorer-john Addicted Member

What a fabulous amplifier. Personally I think the price was a steal too.

I'm very happy for you. Enjoy.

Infinity! likes this.

17. goodolpg

goodolpg Just an old fart trying to help.

Thanks.
    Were those already in your signature and I just plain missed them?

18. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

30 watts class A does me very nicely :). Although I now have a room the size of our master bedoom suite closet, in our last house.

19. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

Yeah you have a small room but at least you can have it setup for the stereo only.

20. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

My computer is in it too.