Kryptonite cable lock jammed; how to clear?

SUCCESS!!! :banana:

Made another attempt at opening the lock today. Tried banging the lock against the lamppost the scooter is locked to, still wouldn't open. Dripped some of the Tri-Flow into the lock, tried again, no luck. Banged the lock against the post a couple more times, carefully dripped some more Tri-Flow into the lock, and this time it finally opened! :D Guessing that a bit of dirt or whatnot had gotten in, as the little shutters which normally cover the keyslot had gotten stuck partially open. Now that the oil has been applied, the shutters are closed again. Thanks again everyone for the suggestions!
-Adam

I use graphite for locks- I always was told oil was a no-no as it congeals with dust etc.
Yep--graphite only in lock cylinders. That's exactly what I've heard for decades, including a locksmith I have worked with. It's cheap, it's ready available at any hardware or home improvement store, no excuse not to buy it. :) I had a sticky padlock on the garage last summer--I blew some of the graphite in there and it's still slicker than it was new!

I must admit I've also taken a liking to silicone spray in lock mechanisms and door latches- seems to last a very long time and is completely dry after a few seconds.
On the cars, I use the spray white lithium grease on the latches and hinges. Indoors, I'll put a drop or two of that 3-in-1 oil on a hinge pin to quiet it down.

I don't even keep WD40 around anymore...

Yep--graphite only in lock cylinders. That's exactly what I've heard for decades, including a locksmith I have worked with. It's cheap, it's ready available at any hardware or home improvement store, no excuse not to buy it. :) I had a sticky padlock on the garage last summer--I blew some of the graphite in there and it's still slicker than it was new!
Did I do a Bad Thing by using the Tri-Flow instead of something graphite based in the lock mechanism? If so, what (if anything) should be done to reverse the 'damage'? I figured the Tri-Flow would be fairly inert compared to something like 3-in-1 or Marvel Mystery Oil, and it definitely got the lock working again, but I'd like to make sure that it'll continue to work for the foreseeable future. Thanks!
-Adam

Did I do a Bad Thing by using the Tri-Flow instead of something graphite based in the lock mechanism? If so, what (if anything) should be done to reverse the 'damage'? I figured the Tri-Flow would be fairly inert compared to something like 3-in-1 or Marvel Mystery Oil, and it definitely got the lock working again, but I'd like to make sure that it'll continue to work for the foreseeable future. Thanks!
-Adam
No. Just remember to oil it occasionally.

Graphite is nice, but it's messy. Your wife will hate you.

No. Just remember to oil it occasionally.

Graphite is nice, but it's messy. Your wife will hate you.
I just remembered that we have an old bottle of "Lock-Ease" graphite-based lubricant. Not sure how good it is, given that the copyright date on the side of the little metal can is 1948 (I'm pretty sure it's newer than that, given the presence of a zip code nearby, but it's still likely to be well over 30 years old), but I'm pretty sure that the colloidal graphite within is still OK. My main concern at this point would be if anything is going to get messed up by dripping this stuff into the lock so soon after I applied the Tri-Flow. Thoughts? Again, thanks!
-Adam

Wont hurt it at all. I only dislike graphite because it is messy. Take some paper towels along to clean up the mess.

I just remembered that we have an old bottle of "Lock-Ease" graphite-based lubricant. Not sure how good it is, given that the copyright date on the side of the little metal can is 1948 (I'm pretty sure it's newer than that, given the presence of a zip code nearby, but it's still likely to be well over 30 years old), but I'm pretty sure that the colloidal graphite within is still OK. My main concern at this point would be if anything is going to get messed up by dripping this stuff into the lock so soon after I applied the Tri-Flow. Thoughts? Again, thanks!
-Adam
LockEase is terrific stuff to lube locks, old unlined Bowden wire control cables and chains, I used it, mixed into Flanders Liquilube chain treatment for drive chains and cables on my motorcycles back in the day. Messy, but very effective.
LockEase, iirc, was recommended as the lube of choice for the carbon arc lamp drive chain mechanisms in the Ashcraft and other projection lamps used by motion picture theatres.

Back
Top Bottom