KT-8300/9900 narrow vs wide

Discussion in 'Kenwood-Trio/Kensonic-Accuphase' started by Widster, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Widster

Widster Member

Hello. When listening to my KT-9900 (euro version of 8300) I cannot hear the difference between wide and narrow. I can tell that the circuit is working to some degree because pushing the button to narrow mode cleans up the signal a bit. That much I hear. But going wide does not translate into a more spacious sound. I own a few tuners that have wide/narrow and the sound difference is very obvious. Not so with this tuner. I wish that I had a 2nd KT-9900 to compare with. So I throw this out to any owners that might help by giving a listen and letting me know what you hear. Thanks for your comments.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. hopjohn

hopjohn Silver Face Subscriber

The wide position switch enables fewer 10.7Mhz ceramic filters within the unit. Each tuner can work a little different in this regard depending on what type and how many filters remain in the circuit in the wide/narow positions (some tuners even have a mid position). Conversely going to the narrow position enables more filters at the expense of some frequency response lost, especially if the narrow filters are not well matched. On strong stations with a clear signal it's best to remain in wide mode. Narrow mode is meant for situations where you're attempting to clean up a medium station as you mention or maybe fighting through noise caused by a strong neighboring station when attempting to listen to a weaker one. There is also the concern for how well the tuner is aligned to begin with.

3. Widster

Widster Member

I did not know that narrow mode enabled more filters. I do not have any electronics background but does it not stand to reason that in wide mode you are capturing more of the "wave" and it follows that the sound should be fuller? Like I said, I have a couple of other tuners and when I switch to wide mode the sounds expands noticeably. My tuner was recapped and aligned a couple of years ago so it is in good condition. I was really hoping that an AKer with this tuner in rotation would put a critical ear to the sound and offer some comments on the difference that they hear.

4. Widster

Widster Member

I'll add that general comments about tuners and wide/narrow mode are best suited for the Tuners forum but I chose to post in Kenwood for that reason of having a Kenwood 8300/9900 owner offer their actual listening observations.

5. rjsalvi

rjsalvi Well-Known Member

"I do not have any electronics background but does it not stand to reason that in wide mode you are capturing more of the "wave" and it follows that the sound should be fuller?"

Not necessarily. What Hopjohn said above about covers it, but think of the narrow filter as a bandpass filter -- a filter that allows passage of a specific frequency(s) -- and attenuates (reduces) frequencies outside that band. By nature, less noise will affect the carrier signal ... the carrier signal in this case being the station you're tuned into. So while narrow band filtering can affect frequency response, less noise around the carrier frequency will make it stand out more, i.e., a "cleaner signal."