KX-200 ( How do I remove the brass end-caps) SaFeLy???

escorial

Have been thinking about replacing the brass colored end caps on my amp and was wondering if there is a safe way?

I think I had super glued a few on as I was sick of them falling off all the time so again is there a safe way?

Only reason Im considering doing this is that I see that a seller on ebay now has re-pop's with the black index line painted on which I really would like the idea of easily seeing where I have my switched set ;-)

TIA

Might try some local heat source (Hair dryer on medium) to loosen the adhesive and push thru the back with a blunt instrument. You risk a dimple in the caps tho. Any prying you do on the front will chip the Bakelite knobs. But if you're gonna replace the caps anyway, just punch them out from the shaft hole.

Would you think that the super glue would give up w/o too much of a fight?

Other issue is easily getting the knobs off easily?

Would you think putting thr knobs in the freezer overnight and then try pushing them out would work any better?

Thanks

Are they pretty corroded? If not, you can clean them up to a very shiny state without replacing. I made up a dowel to fit in the back of the knobs and a cordless electric drill. Put a little Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish on a terry cloth rag and rotated the knobs with the drill at fairly moderate speed. Cleaned and shined them up nice.

With the original glue, just soaking them with water often causes them to come off. With crazy glue, though, I expect they are on there pretty good. As Larry says, if you're not careful you can damage the bakelite knobs pretty easily and putting them in the freezer might make them more brittle.

The knob brites you mention are pretty good--I use them regularly for replacements. There's one seller with knobs that actually have the black line groove machined in.

Super Glue? Probably Not.
Use two spoons and a washcloth. Slip the edge of the spoons under the knob (one on each side), with the Washcloth between them and the faceplate. Push down evenly on the spoon handles and the knob will pop off. Some need more persuasion than others tho.
The original adhesive is fairly tough. Freezing it may make it brittle enough to separate. Try it. You've got nothing to lose.

That was only reason Im thinking about replacing, was to get the ones eith the line.

With the superglue ones zi t think I will just waitbtill those fall off and then update.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom