Kyocera PL-601, now what?

Galaxie65

Always looking for new gear to try
So I got this little gem from my sister in law's father as a gift. I really like Kyocera stuff and have never heard or used a table like this one. I got lucky and he had the factory box, packing to go along with it. When I opened it up the dust cover is there, (No hinges), the platter, and the table. The arm is attached and everything is present, even the factory belt that is long over due.

So I also find the Kyocera factory record clamp/weight, which is really cool. The only thing I don't see is the counter weights........ugh. The Anti-skate weight I believe, the other one is there. The one I need is the weight that hangs on the thread.

What can I do about those? I really want to be able to use the table but I just don't want to mess anything up. Currently it's off at the tech's shop getting a once over to make sure everything is working proper.

Any thoughts guys?

Here are some pictures. The cart on the arm is a Signet but I have no idea what model as of now. Haven't dug too deep.

That's a beauty. Congrats! And you have the counterweight.

The anti skate weight is not hard to figure out. Someone will have one and can weigh it; you then just have to tie a knot in some fine nylon thread or light fishing line using some lead shot at the end. I'll dig up a thread later to show how I do it with bike cable housing ends or other hardware. The end result can look really good. The weight itself will be somewhere around 2 grams or so.

As Montycat describes, you can make the anti skate weight you need easy enough, two grams is what I use on my Kyocera PL-701. The PL-701 is my favorite turntable. They are cousins to the Harman Kardon turntables of that vintage and some parts are interchangeable. The top line HK Platters are identical to the Kyocera's and dustcovers from the HK's will fit the as would hinges that you are missing.

That cartridge looks like a Signet moving coil with a user replaceable stylus, possibly an MK 66e, or another in that line. The number is visible on the under side to determine what it is. If so, it's a very good cartridge.

I have owned and restored several Kyocera PL-601's and PL-701's. If i can answer any questions about them just ask.

They're terrific!

Here's my 701

HK t60 Kyocera 010.JPG

Jon

FYI, if I'm correct about the cartridge and it works, I'd place the value of that table at $500+

Jon

In that kind of beautiful condition and counting in the box/packing material Jnoyes estimate might be on the light side, Kyocera equipment is top shelf. Whatever you do don't toss the box/packing material, its worth $50-100 of the total value, hinges and antibias weight should be an easy fix and your complete, also the Signet cartridge is nothing to sneeze at. A very nice gift!

Very, very nice. Suggest using mat black bullet fishing weights like these
IMG_0201.JPG
They're available as small as 1/16 oz. They're also my favorite for fishing too.

In that kind of beautiful condition and counting in the box/packing material Jnoyes estimate might be on the light side, Kyocera equipment is top shelf. Whatever you do don't toss the box/packing material, its worth $50-100 of the total value, hinges and antibias weight should be an easy fix and your complete, also the Signet cartridge is nothing to sneeze at. A very nice gift!

Absolutely agree on the packing material, especially since it looks to be in very good condition.

Jon

Galaxie while your thanking the inlaws for their farthers table I'd ask them to keep an eye out for the hinges that were probably packed away with other audio gear, something tells me he wasn't the type to toss them.

Thanks guys, I'm really excited about it. I've always like the Kyocera gear and was surprised when I moved the ION Turntable box and found this one behind it. So I have both tables sitting in the room for now. The ION isn't anything special but can be something for a starter system I plan on making for some kids.

The 601 is really just a beautiful piece and one that I really like. I'll be asking about the hinges just in case, I was happy to have that weight for the records because they are so hard to find and in good shape.

I should have it back this next week from the tech, wanted to make sure it was good before placing it in service. I'll have to take a look at the thread on the anti-skate weight. I wish I had the factory one, but I don't think I ever see those much if at all.

Thanks buddy, from what I'm reading it looks like the Anti-skate weight is 1.7 grams or 0.6oz. Does that sounds right to anyone?

Thanks buddy, from what I'm reading it looks like the Anti-skate weight is 1.7 grams or 0.6oz. Does that sounds right to anyone?

There are several members with the PL-601 and PL-701.

They may be able to weight the bias weight for the exact measurement.

Your estimate of 1.7 grams or 0.6oz. should be close and functional though. :thumbsup:

As jnoyes says, 2 gram is what he uses. Fishing weights can be had in about 1.8gm and should work fine. Anti skate is not a super precise thing. Ballbark will be ok.

Thanks Guys, I'm enjoying the table and I'm still on the hunt for the weight. I'll have to try out the fishing weights to see how it does. Really a nice table and so far it's my main one until I can get a cart for my Thorens TD-124 that was restored.

Thanks Guys, I'm enjoying the table and I'm still on the hunt for the weight. I'll have to try out the fishing weights to see how it does. Really a nice table and so far it's my main one until I can get a cart for my Thorens TD-124 that was restored.

This is what I have on my PL-701. I got it on Ebay. If you search for "anti-skate weight" in turntable parts you will find it. I epoxied the wire loop in the center to tie the fishing line to. It's 2 grams and works well.
HK T30C 002.JPG
Jon

Back
Top Bottom