L Pads, been awake too long, HELP!

A little diagram comes with them how to hook up between your existing crossover and the two drivers. Assuming they are both 8 Ohms, the L-pads will allow you to attenuate them as desired without altering the filter frequencies.

Terminal (3) gets one lead disconnected from the driver, (2) goes to the driver where that lead was disconnected, and (1) goes to the still connected other lead of the driver. Those connections may be made at the crossover, alternatively.... :thmbsp:

I've recently dealt with an L-Pad and based on the information it gave, and assuming our L-Pad is marked the same way -

Pin 3 - goes to the crossover.
Pin 2 - goes to the (+) connection of the speaker
Pin 1 - goes to ground.

Inside the L-Pad are two resistances working in parallel, one moderately high relative to a speaker, and the other resistance equal to the speaker (so likely 8 ohms).

Measured between an end pin and the center pin with the level control knob turned all the way to one side then to the other. One side should measure 8 ohms, that side goes to the crossover and by extension, to the amp. That means the other side pin goes to ground, and in the final hook up, the center pin goes to your speaker.

See the attached diagrams.

Steve/bluewizard

Attachments

• L-Pad-XO-SPKR-1A.jpg
    L-Pad-XO-SPKR-1A.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Piezo-L-Pad1a.jpg
    Piezo-L-Pad1a.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 56
Here is a straightforward diagram.
http://www.marvac.com/fun/l_pad.aspx

You’ll need to use three connections so the amp sees relatively consistent impedance. Using an L-pad for both midrange and tweeter is going to have a mess of wires to attach but it can be done…after a good nap. Good luck.

Quest,

Sorry but I would say that diagram is a pretty unconventional way of hooking up an L-Pad. I'm not saying it won't work, only that in all my years I've never seen anyone hook up an L-Pad like that.

The conventional way is to wire the L-Pad into the high (+) side of the circuit so when the level to the speaker is turned off, the speaker is shorted to GROUND.

Still, the drawing shown on this web page will work, it's just very odd.

An additional note, the L-Pad I drew, and the one on this linked to web page, show the speaker in standard polarity, in other words the (+) of the crossover goes to the (+) of the speaker. In many cases tweeters or midranges can INTENTIONALLY be wired in reverse polarity, (+) on the crossover to (-) on the speaker.

Just make sure you maintain the wire on your speakers the same as it is now. If the Mid or tweeter are wired (+) to (+) the continue that, if they are wired (+) to (-), then continue with it that way.

Steve/bluewizard

Everything you always wanted to know about L-pads but were afraid to ask:

http://colomar.com/Shavano/lpad.html

lpad3.gif

And note, the L-pad goes between the crossover components and the driver it controls.

Back
Top Bottom