La Scala speakers in a 10' x 10' room

CavScout

I am thinking of buying a pair of La Scala speakers.
The room I have for them is 10' x 10' ( the front is open so really it is 10' wide by open front facing)

For the experts out there , do you think this is enough space ?

It would depend strongly, from my perspective, on the amplifier, the type of music, and the listening level you're aiming for.
The odds are not in your favor, I'd opine.

The "open front" aspect of your space could be important. What's the total volume of the space into which the loudspeakers will be radiating?

No expert other than having lived with a pair of Cornwalls in a space about twice as big for a decade.

Jazz and vocals , low volume, driven by either a Pioneer SX-1280 or a Marantz 2285b
From my perspective, either of those would be a bad combination with LaScalas at low volume in a small room. Such receivers were designed to perform best at high output power and aren't too refined at ultra-low output levels (IMO/IME).
Fleapower (vacuum tube or solid state) might be OK -- one needs an amplifier that sounds good at output levels of 100 milliwatts or less for aggressive, high sensitivity loudspeakers at low output levels in a small space, or the buzzsaw tendencies of the LaScalas will come to the fore, I suspect.

Something like this might be OK:
http://www.decware.com/newsite/SE84CKC.html

Or Nelson Pass's "Amp Camp Amplifier" project:
https://diyaudiostore.com/products/amp-camp-amp-kit?variant=21206375620
(there may be a next-generation low power Class A amplifier kit/project coming to replace this -- I don't know)

I've got LaScalas and a couple of silver face Pioneer receivers. IMO they sound like crap with Klipsch. (Klipsch sounds great with other amps and silver Pioneers sound great with HPM-100's etc.) The Marantz may be a better pairing, but LaScala's in a 10x10' room I'd look for a low-wattage amp.

Similar situation except I'm pushing with tubes at 40w /ch.
Looking for a reason not to go for La Scala really.
Reckon that might be good enough haha.
I'd also have to redo the whole room for placement.

You'd be better served with something like Heresy's, Forte or Forte II, Epic Series CF-3, or KLF-20's. Those would be about the max size that room could possibly support. You need a certain amount of distance for the bass wave to project or you're going to have odd "nulls" in the room and poor bass response in one spot and a lot in another. Not to mention poor coherency in sound. Silver series receivers like those, especially Pioneer, don't seem to fare well with Klipsch Heritage. Not to mention you don't need that much power. I don't miss owning big silver receivers....even the SX-1980 I had. But the Harmon Kardon Twin Power 430, 630, 730, and 930 are known to mesh well with Heritage.

But it's that room size that's the kicker here.

It's fine in this size room about 8 feet apart. The Marantz will probably sound better than the Pioneer, just because the Marantz has a small bass bump. With the Pioneer 1280 it will sound good also but just note that the watt meters won't move at low volume. Since it's the La Scala, any amp low wattage to high will work fine and it will be easy to experiment if that's what you want.

Yeah, I'd pick the Marantz over the Pioneer for sure. Pioneer receivers always tended to be a little bright. Even recapped and updated.

I have a pair of La Scalas in a room that's only slightly larger (shy of 12 x 12). Because of the room layout, the speakers are about 7 feet apart, center to center, toed in to my listening position about 5 feet from the fronts of the speakers. They sound great, though the sweet spot for imaging is very narrow. I often wish I had a larger room, but I never wish I had smaller (or different) speakers. Amplification has been a Dynaco SCA-35 at one time and now a modified Stereo 70 with Audible Illusions Modulus 2D preamp. Way more power than necessary, but it's nice to have the headroom. There's a crossover mod (easy and easily reversed) to knock 3dB off the midrange horns which may or may not be to your liking. I'm on the fence about it. It makes the speakers more forgiving of source material that might otherwise be a little forward, but it also takes away some of the liveliness of the speakers.

It depends on the music and sound levels you like, but with some low tube power they would be sweet. My room is slightly larger (15x18) and I find 30w MC30s sound great at low levels and can make painfully loud but also great sounding music with the LaScalas. Speaker placement is critical. Mine are placed about an inch off the wall, which probably isn’t perfect for bass but I don’t miss any bass response. I sit about 9ft from the speaker front and they are roughly 8 ft apart, center to center, towed in to my seating position. The sweet spot is a bit narrow but sounds great!

fibonacci-sunflower.jpg

Probably to big, kind of apples and oranges but my signature is in a 7.6' x 6.75' space with the back wall being 3.5' and the front 2.8'. Sounds great with the low watt Magnavox.

Back
Top Bottom