Lafayette LR-4000

jsjazz

Lafayette LR-4000/ LR-5000

Does anyone have any specs on these receivers? any experiences with them? good or bad? Any info would be greatly appreciated. A picture or a link to a picture (esp. the 5000) would also be very helpful!
thanks
Jeff

Last edited:
orion says,

LAFAYETTE RCV, LR-4000 QUAD
Description:
Manufacture Years: 1973 - 1977
Additional Information:
Power: 41wpc
Retail
MSRP: $550.00

The LR1500 series were Pioneers with only the name changed as were the LR1000 series.

dgwojo said:
Regarding Lafayette receivers, the best one I ever owned was the LR-1500TA, not the LR-1500, the FM tuner was super sensitive and has "acritune", other than a turn-on thump it had nice amps, here's on e on ePay; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50596&item=5742688042&rd=1
Dave.

The LR-1500TA was the very first receiver I ever owned. I still remember it fondly. I loved the adjustable interstation noise muting level on the front panel! And, yes, the Acritune! The cosmetics were a bit disappointing....but the sound was a big surprise! Hope to find a nice one someday to go with the LR-3500 I already have. Thanks for reviving a fond memory......

All I ever got was the catalog, a dream book for a kid hooked on stereo. Still have the 1974 issue, I think it mentions most of these. Maybe I'll shoot some scans if there's any interest.

-Ed

Having worked for Lafayette Radio from 1962 through 1976, I am quite familiar with the LR-4000 and the LR-5000. The LR-4000 was the industry's first (and only) quad receiver to incorporate full wavematching logic SQ circuitry (dubbed "SQ-W") and was a fairly decent receiver on its own. The ludicrous power rating of 360 watts was no more ludicrous than the power ratings of other products of the day. Eventually, the industry policed itself and stopped the ever ridiculous manner in which receivers suddenly jumped overnight from a rating of 175 watts, for example, to 225 watts for the identical unit! The actual power per channel (utilizing today's standards) was probably about 35 watts per channel. It also had a proprietary circuit called "Composer A" to simulate a 4-channel effect from standard stereo sources, and this circuit, entirely by accident, also turned out to be tested as the best available for the Sansui system (confusingly labled "QS"." The retail price for the LR-4000 was $499.95.

The "new and improved" LR-5000 was a slightly more powerful receiver, with a further improved SQ circuit (employing a never-explained process called "Vari-Blend"), and in keeping with the tradition throughout the industry, eschewed the outstanding "Composer A" circuit for a standard QS, or as it was now called, "Regular Matrix" or "RM" circuit instead. Playing regular stereo source material (2-channel) through the RM circuit yielded a decidedly lackluster effect as compared to what used to be achieved through the "Composer A" circuit. The price of the LR-5000 was $569.95.

Lafayette also manufactured the industry's best outboard SQ decoder for a retail price of $99.95. It had an even better SQ circuit than that which was in the LR-5000, and also incorporated the wonderful "Composer A" circuitry. Adding this outboard device to an LR-5000 resulted in a vastly superior product to the older LR-4000, and once again provided listeners with remarkable effects from standard 2-channel sources.

Not true. Trio (who also manufactured, and my yet still manufacture Kenwood products) manufactured older Lafayette tube units, and the LR-1500 (as well as its predecessor, the LR-1200, and its less expensive brandmates the LR-1000 and LR-500) was manufactured by Fujitsu. Newer receivers such as the quad LR-4000, and the LR-2500 and LR-3500 (huge improvements over the LR-1500) were manufactured by an OEM supplier called Planet Research.

As I left Lafayette Radio in 1976, I have no idea who made their newer models.

Back
Top Bottom