Lafayette LR-5000 Receiver

whitetrash

I just picked-up a Lafayette LR-5000 receiver for nothing. It's in working condition and needs some knobs and a good cleaning. Does anyone have any information on this unit? I did a google search and the only thing that came back was a service manual and a want ad for it. Could someone explain what "CD-4" and "SQ Full Logic" stands for and why would anyone need eight speaker hook-ups (main front/rear and remote front/rear)? Value? The unit looks small, but it's 21" wide, 5 3/4" tall and 16" deep. It weighs a little over 30 pounds. Thanks!!!
lay.JPG
lay2.JPG

CD-4 and SQ were types of QUADROPHONIC sound reproduction. Those switch settings are almost meaningless without a CD-4 compatible turntable/cartridge, or reel to reel tape machine. You can get some kind of 4 channel surround sound out of it by using a "Matrix" setting if it's offered with the CD-4 and SQ settings.

Those types of surround used 4 speakers. That receiver gave you the capability to have TWO, separate, surround sound systems, in two different locations. That's what all eight of those speaker outputs are doing there.

If it has a "Matrix" setting, hook 4 speakers up to it, feed it a stereo signal, and have fun. For free, it's a beaut.

Around 1970 I worked for Lafayette Radio Electronics.

Almond, Toasted/MSgt, USAF

The Hauppauge, Long Island warehouse. I filled orders for the retail stores.

Was it you that listed "Between the Buttons" as one of the perfect albums? Goddamn that is a good one. Probably my favorite Stones.

Last edited:
Engineers Blvd if I remember correctly, right?
I was in the Syosset warehouse. Was an expiditer. Worked for Tom Mucheck and Dan Warren. I did everything that was required - drive the hi/lo's, ship, load trucks, UPS, etc. Lots of fun in those days - 71-72. Did alot of 'stuff' with many others in the antenna section of the Wx.

Between the buttons. I have 2 copies. One is mono and one of my treasures is a stereo version of same, played maybe 20times. Absolute all time favorite album. Keep a copy on CD for the car/work too.

Mr. Natch

That was probably the name of the street. There was no shortage of freaks in the Hauppauge Wx as well. We also had a big repair dep't. staffed by guys that never came out of there! They were Asians, and they would bring the guys in on 15 passenger type vans in the morning, they'd all march into the repair section, and you wouldn't see them again till closing time. Then theyd march out, get in the vans, and head who knows where! A cool aside, NOBODY else on the planet calls them hi-lo's except New Yorkers! I miss that kind of stuff. I live not far from Filthadelphia (a N.Y.C. wannabe), and they have weird names for everything. Granted, it's a weird place.

Around winter 1968, Sears & Roebuck put all Stones albums in stock on sale for 69 cents each! One Saturday only. I ran down there and grabbed one of EVERYTHING. Beggars Banquet or Her Majesties... were not released yet. When I got home, I realized why they were all on sale. It was the MONO copies on sale. I was so bummed, many of them I never even opened. I had a STEREO system. What was I going to do with MONO albums? Didn't learn till much later in life that most Stones stuff (early stuff) was mono, and any stereo versions were those "electronically re-processed" for stereo. About 15 yrs ago, I took all those albums up to the Princeton Record Exchange and made a HANDSOME profit on each 69 cent investment. The good old days.

Actually, I can't go with you on "Between the Buttons" because I don't like Ruby Tuesday. If they replaced it with Dandelion or Child of the Moon it would've been okay with me. But everything else on that album is special. Can't figure why that album wasn't a bigger hit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom