Lafayette LR-5555A

It is indeed a Luxman unit, not a Pioneer.
The LR5555 and the LR5555A are not the same.

Internally it's the same as a Setton RS440.
I purchased mine off "the Bay" that was in mint shape to include the service and operating manuals from a seller who got it from his Grandfather.

I had to have the power/speaker switch repaired (a common problem with the Settons of the same design).
It does have a very nice sound, very good tuner.
It was an exceptional find for the low BIN price I paid for it.

Well I learn something every day here on AK! :yes:

hi guys

i own a lafayette 5555 and a setton 440. Anyone knows where to get service manuals?
I assume they are the same except the seciruty panel circuit on the setton.

regards

i have a lafayette lr-5555a. i heard this model was made by luxman and rebadged as a lafayette. its made around 1974. 55 watts per channel/wpc

It is indeed a Luxman unit, not a Pioneer.
The LR5555 and the LR5555A are not the same.

Internally it's the same as a Setton RS440.
I purchased mine off "the Bay" that was in mint shape to include the service and operating manuals from a seller who got it from his Grandfather.

I had to have the power/speaker switch repaired (a common problem with the Settons of the same design).
It does have a very nice sound, very good tuner.
It was an exceptional find for the low BIN price I paid for it.
I just purchased a Lafayette LR5555A, Lafayette T-2000 Turntable(needed a belt), pair of Lafayette Criterion 2001 speakers.Sound is fantastic.I hooked them up to my Heresy's.Wow! The LR5555A surprised me with it's power.The only question I have is why my John Allen Heresy speakers hum when volume is all the way down??

I love my LR-9090. It was a sidewalk find too!

I get around the wonky power switch by leaving it in the headphones position and switching it on/off from a switched power strip. Been doing this for over a year without issue.

Up here in Canada I have an Eaton's of Canada VIKING SC5814 Receiver that looks to be a clone of the LR-9090.MyTech says it pushes north of 80 Watts per side.It has outputs for 3 sets of Speakers:)B.jpg

Tagging on an old thread, just picked up a LR-5555A and love the sound through a pair of Dynaco A-25s. Right now it’s my favorite receiver, really nice sound with deep bass. Anyone know who made it? Reading this string it seems inconclusive. The one I picked up is in near perfect cosmetic condition. Boards are pretty dusty, but all the controls are quiet, pretty amazing. Plan to open it up and do a good cleaning and post some pics if there is any interest.

Thanks for the reply. I haven’t been able to find much solid information. So far I have been pretty impressed with the receiver.

Tagging on an old thread, just picked up a LR-5555A and love the sound through a pair of Dynaco A-25s. Right now it’s my favorite receiver, really nice sound with deep bass. Anyone know who made it? Reading this string it seems inconclusive. The one I picked up is in near perfect cosmetic condition. Boards are pretty dusty, but all the controls are quiet, pretty amazing. Plan to open it up and do a good cleaning and post some pics if there is any interest.

Both the LR-5555 and the LR-5555A were good and reliable receivers. Internally, they were almost identical. The 5555A had added some cosmetic LED's just under the AM/FM dial. Functional, but really unnecessary. It just added some pizzazz to a tired looking receiver after several years in the catalog. We sold lots of them although the 5555A wasn't around that long.
Repair rate from my service perspective of these receivers was average; the ALPS power switch was the most common problem. Output modules were the second most common problem but were easy to replace. I think I still have a few of them. Be careful with the cleaning.

Lots of pictures on the web of the LR-5555 and LR-5555A:
https://www.google.com/search?q="la...Bw6y4Bg&bih=806&biw=1271&client=firefox-b-1-d

Back
Top Bottom