Lafayette Stereo 224

MisterFishey

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Does anyone know anything about the Lafayette Stereo 224? It is a tube amp. I picked up one for free (the best price!), and it sounds AMAZING compared to my Realistic STA-47 receiver that I am considering ditching anyway. Right now I am hearing detail off the Lafayette I have never heard out of the Realistic. I have Hotel California by the Eagles playing right now off my turntable. Incredible! If anyone knows anything about the Stereo 224, any information would be appreciated. Quite a deal!

I have a 224, also. IIRC, about 12 w. per side. It will handle MC and MM carts. although I've never nused it as such. Well built and probably reliable. The one I have was cleaned and checked out by a tech prior to purchase. I can see how it would best a Realistic receiver but I was somewhat underwhelmed.

That other post was extremely helpful. I didn't know that the bass, treble, and volume knobs were double potentiometers. I just thought a screw was loose, so they were wobbly. Heh. Pretty fancy for a 60's piece, in my opinion. Unfortunately, the headphone jack is mono. Thanks for the help!

I started with a LA-224A

I remember it's manual stated it put out 6 wpc RMS, although I forget at what bandwidth. I do remember it was advertised ae 25 - 25kc -2 db or some such.

I also remember it wasn't able to drive my Wharfedale W40 C's, which led to it's replacement.

Post is a couple years old, but just wanted to clarify the the Lafayette Stereo 224's headphone jack is NOT mono. It's definitely stereo.

I picked up mine from rubbish! Missing one ECL86 and somewhat burned around cathode caps..
repaired the same night it still works very fine.
On out transformers was the date of construction: 15 october 1963. When I found it was 15 october 1993! exactly thirty years later!

:banana:

regards

I got one off ebay recently. It's my first tube setup driving Cerwin Vega AT-15's. It sounds really nice but starts to distort around 80% volume. I'll probably hang on to it for a while and then maybe step up to something with more power later.

I just got one of these amps about a month ago, and honestly, for the cheap price I paid, it really delivers more than I had ever imagined. The imaging is good, the sound is crystal clear. I can't even really explain it. It's like being there. I have a small square listening room with this amp in it, and it's not even hooked up to great speakers, but the sound of this amp is just totally unexpected. I am going to try and get some high efficiency speakers for this amp, as it's power output isn't that high unless you really crank it, and that doesn't seem like the thing to do. However, strangely, I find myself listening to it at a lower volume than with my other tube amp, and I enjoy it even more. There's just so much detail. My other amp is a recent tube amp that cost about $1000, but this thing which I got for way less just seems so much clearer. I've never had a vintage stereo amp before, but if this isn't close to top of the line, I'm sure I'll be constantly amazed at my trip up the ladder.

All that being said, the information on this model, or ever this brand of stereo amplifier is pretty sparse online, and the price i got it at seems stupid low for the quality. is this amp a sleeper? does anyone have any more information on it? I figure I'll have to buy a manual from some website that does that kind of thing (unless someone has a pdf).

All in all, I am VERY satisfied with this amp. When I bought it, it had crap pictures, so I was sure I could resell it with a nice profit, but I've fallen in love with the thing and probably won't get rid of it until I find an amp I love more, which honestly may take a while.

jbav. There's no manual available for this amp that I have found. The schematic posted above is all you get, but it's enough.

Every gray leaky Japanese capacitor in this amp needs replaced, as well as the big can caps. All in all, I spent like 50 bucks in parts. I replaced most of the resistors too.

Once you get the amp rebuilt then it really shines. Post some pics of yours. Mine has potted output transformers!

i get the feeling all the work was already done on the amps. i haven't checked the caps yet, but the tubes look new, and the power cable has been replaced with obnoxious orange extension cable. i'll post pics this weekend. i wish i could post the sound that comes out of this thing. it really does shine. maybe i'm only impressed because i'm so new to hifi, but it's really unlike anything else i've ever listened to. it's so detailed. mine is actually the la-224a, which i'm guessing is similar to the 224

Jbav let's see pictures of the amp, especially the underside guts.

I keep forgetting to take pics. I'll try to remember tonight. I actually haven't opened up the underside yet. Just promise you won't laugh at the ugly orange extension cable they used for the power cable. It's number one on my list of things to change.

attachment.php

Your description of the sound of your little Lafayette has prompted me to find out what is wrong with my Lafayette LA224 integrated.

One channel plays and the other one doesn't.

Mine was found outside under other trash after a drizzle.

Damp only slightly.

Cosmetically challenged, to say the least. But then again, I did not get it to primarily look at it.

Thanks for the nudge.

Cheers

I had the same problem with my LA-250. I swapped the rca and both channels worked. Not sure what the problem was really, I was using an ipod at the time as a source while testing it out in my garage.

Your description of the sound of your little Lafayette has prompted me to find out what is wrong with my Lafayette LA224 integrated.

One channel plays and the other one doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom