Laguna Seca 1970 CanAm

Cadillac Kid

Addicted Member
I made these scans from an unmarked tray of 35mm slides that I found at a thrift store yesterday. They provide a unique glimpse of the 1970 CanAm Grand Prix in Monterey, California.

Laguna Seca 1970
Pit.jpg

Jim Hall's wild 2J Chaparral. Vic Elford was brought in to to handle 'the vacuum'
The 2J was banned after the last event in Riverside.

Chaparral 2J.jpg

British Racing Motors 465ci Chevy
BRM Chevy 2.jpg

Through the corkscrew. Check out that video camera.
Turn.jpg

#5 McLaren M8D driven by Dennis Holm of England for McLaren Cars.
#5 McLaren.jpg

#77 March Engineering 707
March Engineering.jpg

Superbird!
Superbird.jpg

Last edited:
Cool ! IMHO, CanAm was the ultimate in racing. I did not watch much of it as a kid, it doesn't seem like the TV stations broadcast much of it here in Kansas.

I think I have the title right. Scanned from an unmarked tray of slides that I found at a thrift store yesterday. Pretty neat view of what I think is the 1970 CanAm Grand Prix in Monterey, California. I have about twenty more if anyone is interested. Comments and corrections are welcome.

The Pit:
View attachment 891430

Jim Hall's wild 2J Chaparral was banned after this race. Something about the two fans sticking out the rear.
View attachment 891431

BRM Chevy
View attachment 891432

The race is on. Look at the camera man on the turn.
View attachment 891435

#5 McLaren
View attachment 891439

#77 March Engineering
View attachment 891440

Superbird!
View attachment 891434

The Chaparral 2J wasn't banned because the fans were sticking out the back, per se. They were deemed a movable aerodynamic device, and apparently threw debris at cars behind.

The photos are great! Please post more if you can! The Can-Am is my favorite of all the racing series. Love these old cars!

edit:
I think the 2J was outlawed after the season finished, which was a couple weeks later at Riverside.

Last edited:
Went to many CanAm races as a teen. I also have a box of slides. Thanks for the memories.

9d2e41c6ab8190f4327311fdb471f24b.jpg

IMG_E10001_zpscfvtjevw.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the comments, links and the photos.

California Native driver Dick Smith
Dick Smith McLaren.jpg

Cris Amon with the March Engineering 707.
Cris Amon #77 March Engineering LTD .jpg

Off Road
Off Road.jpg
Crash.jpg

Peter Gethin gets the Yellow Flag.
Peter Gethin Yellow.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom