Lamp replacement on Sony STR-6055

Budward

Has anyone done this?

I'm new to working on electronics, vintage or otherwise, and don't want to screw up my 6055, which I bought new in 1974.

The fuse lamps that illuminate the dial are burned out. It appears that you remove the faceplate to replace them. It's simple to see that the turning knob comes off with a setscrew. How do you remove the knobs for all the smaller rotary and lever switches? Also, how does the ganged L+R volume knob come off?

Thanks, Blue Shadow. So, everything except the tuning knob pulls off, correct?

I'd seen the Deoxit thread, but hadn't read it yet. I'll do some more searching of Sony threads.

I guess I'll have to pry the knobs. They didn't come off with relatively gentle tug by hand.

If a knob switch cover or whatever does not have a hole in it or a visible screw holding it in place on almost all this vintage stuff it pulls off if it is not glued on by someone. Factory didn't glue em on.

There are some units that have a set screw behind the faceplate usually accessible from the side. Tuning knob or some other large knob, more likely to have a screw than the smaller ones that are friction fit.

Last edited:
When they've been sitting in the same place for 40+ years, they might as well have been glued in place...
Use two small teaspoons, stick one under the edge of each side of the knob so that you apply equal force on both sides, and gently push them simultaneously toward the face plate of the receiver.
They should slide off quite easily.
If you like, you can put a piece of tape or paper between the "belly" of the spoon (sorry, I'm Swedish...) and the face plate to protect it from scratches.

I've had to pry the small knobs off on three Sony's. Definitely pad underneath whatever you use to pry.
You will have to unscrew the set screw on the tuning knob. Otherwise they all pull off.
The white LEDs from Parts Express work really well and are cheap.

Just to be clear, the volume, bass, and treble knobs are ganged L+R. Do they pull off as a single unit, or do you have to split them?

Apologies for my excess of caution. I don't want to screw it up.

Has anyone done this?

I'm new to working on electronics, vintage or otherwise, and don't want to screw up my 6055, which I bought new in 1974.

The fuse lamps that illuminate the dial are burned out. It appears that you remove the faceplate to replace them. It's simple to see that the turning knob comes off with a setscrew. How do you remove the knobs for all the smaller rotary and lever switches? Also, how does the ganged L+R volume knob come off?

Nice receiver. I've had a couple over the years.

Only the tuning knob has a set screw (small straight blade screwdriver). All others pull off. Gently heating knobs with hair dryer really helps. Also be careful because chrome covers tend to pull off black inserts. If they do, they can be reattached with a drop of glue.

There will be two brass nuts that will have to be unscrewed to release the faceplate.

The edges of the dial glass can be repainted green if they've lost their tinting.

Should be several pictures on the forum. STR60x5 and STR70x5 are all similar.

I'm doing this exact project on the exact same model right now. Let me know if you have any questions. I have already pulled the face off once, then reassembled it while waiting for my Warm White LEDs. I'll putting in the new LEDs in the next few days.

Hi, I also have a Sony STR-6055 and all three 'lamps' have 'given up the ghost' they are the 8 volt meter lamp (MES Screw), the Dial illumination 8 volt - which I can't see until I remove the front panel, and the stereo indicator, which I believe is a wired lamp.
In a posting above in this thread, mention was made of white LEDs from Parts Express. I assume that these are the Dial illumination substitutes ? If so, could Hammett, Outta Ammo or anyone else please identify which actual item is suitable. Any suggestions for the Meter lamp replacement?
Thanks for any help - Much appreciated.....

Back
Top Bottom